Author Topic: Dollar coins - Pro or Con?  (Read 7618 times)

Lee

• friend
Dollar coins - Pro or Con?
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »
http://www.popfi.com/2010/08/10/whats-the-deal-with-dollar-coins/

I got one of the Jefferson coins in change this week.  Personally, I like the gold colored dollar coins.  I like to know that the jingle in my pocket might be enough to actually buy something (lunch, a snack) and is not just something to throw in the change bin.  I wish they would catch on.   

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Dollar coins - Pro or Con?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »
Con. Wallet > change purse.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:01:18 AM »
Pro:  With so many vending machines, you won't have to worry about crumpled bills....I like dollar coins...  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
I also like the fact that you can throw ten bucks in your front pocket and head outdoors for the day without worrying about getting wet. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
Apparently, in 2007, the government launched the Presidential $1 Coin Program.  An attempt to spur the dollar coin market, the coins feature the features of every single US President, and are being released in chronological order. 

Eh?  I didn't even know they existed until this moment.

Personally, I like the gold colored dollar coins.

Gold colored to me says "brass".  Somebody wants to make something cheap that looks better than it is.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
I didn't know they existed either...till I got one and thought I was just handed a foreign coin, or token from a game place.  I think they look pretty striking...and the color makes it easier to quickly tell the difference between a buck or a quarter.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »
If they end up being cheaper in the long run because they last longer than paper bills, I'd be for it.  Used to get the gold-colored ones once in a while, and I didn't like them so much.  Don't know why, I had nothing against Susan B. Anthony or feminism, just didn't like them.  But, as I say, if we don't have to keep the printing presses running so much, it would be worth it to me.

Another saving would be if they didn't have to change the date every year, and of course, they wouldn't have to use any resources to keep track of the serial numbers, as with paper ones.

One cost to the private sector, though, would be swapping out change-making machines and coin-operated vending machines.  And coin-counting machines.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:53:01 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »
they are handy for San Francisco parking meters, a dollar gets you 20 minutes & 4 quarters 15.

The only prob is getting them mixed up with other coins when yer in a hurry
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »
New Zealand had done away with paper for under $5 denominations by the time I lived there 17 years ago.  They had $1 and $2 coins.  I thought it worked well enough.  Coinage could get excessive though if you weren't careful about the change you got vs spent.

They'd also done away with 1c pieces (all purchases were rounded to the nearest 5c - e.g. $1.93 would have you paying $1.95, and $1.92 would have you pay $1.90). 
Formerly sumpnz

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »
I generally walk around with less than $10 in my pocket, which means that with the coins my pants would be drooping like a gangstah's.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
Actually, they don't weigh much more than quarters. I don't mind the newer gold ones, but the Susan B Anthony ones were too easy to confuse with quarters.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »
As longs they keep the paper dollars, I'm OK with them. 

Really, currency is a legitimate job of gov't.  Saying we can save $100m/year by not printing dollar bills holds no water with me when our gov't spends more than that subsidizing mohair.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 04:19:54 PM »
I also insist we keep the penny.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »
As longs they keep the paper dollars, I'm OK with them. 

yep I don't think strippers want coins tossed at them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
I like the Sacajawea dollar coin.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 05:07:52 PM »
yep I don't think strippers want coins tossed at them.
This was a dilemma the first time I was at a Canadian strip club.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 05:34:47 PM »
This was a dilemma the first time I was at a Canadian strip club.

There's a solution, it's just not for a family friendly forum.  =D or  [barf] it depends.

I love dollar coins, used to it after travelling overseas, you can get a lot done with a pocket of 1 and 2 Euro coins, get just toasted on pocket change up in loonie and toonie land. I like being able to not drag out a billfold to get enough for minor transactions.

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 06:29:25 PM »
Put me in the haters group.

if i'm carrying a purse, coins always end up jingling around the bottem, since its easier to toss them in then find a coin purse, unzip, deposite change, and rezip.

Usually, I don't carry a purse, and I wear mid rise boot cut jeans. Wallet goes in back pocket, the new phone is going to be an issue, as it barely fits in a front pocket and I have to carry my ciggerettes and lighter in the other front pocket (which starts getting akward looking fast) I can put cigs or phone in the other back pocket, but then have to remember not to sit on them.

For those not getting this, womens jeans are not cut with extreamly funtional pockets, and before you say 'wear a diffrent kind of pants', my butt looks good in those jeans, which is more important.  ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »

if i'm carrying a purse, coins always end up jingling around the bottem, since its easier to toss them in then find a coin purse, unzip, deposite change, and rezip.

Well, we don't want you overexerting yourself, do we?......  :lol:

For those not getting this, womens jeans are not cut with extreamly funtional pockets, and before you say 'wear a diffrent kind of pants', my butt looks good in those jeans, which is more important.  ;)

I don't believe you.....prove it with pics.....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
pro, would like to see a $2 or $5 coin to. look into average life of a $1 bill. and the replacement cost. :facepalm: put a hole in the 2 or 5, and it would stand out pretty well. maybe make a dime from the hole. :laugh:

P5 Guy

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
Since the largest denomination bill in the USA is $100 and most large transactions are done electronically, that aren't drug related according to our Big Brother. Why can't we do away with paper money all together? Geo Will was a proponent of this.
As long as the coins are a different shape than round. It would also be nice if the coins had a real value.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
I like them, miss the cartwheels (Eisenhower dollars.)   When the Aussies converted to decimal dollars, the $.20 and $.50 coins were often confused.  Their solution was to make the $.50 polygonal.  When Susan B.s caused the same problem with quarters, I thought the same solution should apply, especially as the SBA dollar artwork is thirteen sided.  I guess there is a problem with coin acceptors.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »
Dollar bills are easier to carry around than dollar coins, and more difficult to counterfeit.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
I like the Sacajawea dollar coin.

And I just like saying "Sacajawea."

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
Usually, I don't carry a purse, and I wear mid rise boot cut jeans. Wallet goes in back pocket, the new phone is going to be an issue, as it barely fits in a front pocket and I have to carry my ciggerettes and lighter in the other front pocket (which starts getting akward looking fast) I can put cigs or phone in the other back pocket, but then have to remember not to sit on them.

Just put the "high value" coins in the other back pocket.

I haven't been to Canada in a while (statute of limitations has yet to run out) but last time I was there the $1 and $2 coins just made sense.  They're very easy to use, especially if you're doing something like hopping around bars, which I was.

Dollar bills are easier to carry around than dollar coins, and more difficult to counterfeit.

Anybody dumb enough to try counterfeit dollars probably couldn't pull off the task.