Author Topic: Dollar coins - Pro or Con?  (Read 7616 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Dollar coins - Pro or Con?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
Giga,

The wallet is nice padded leather and is not uncomfortable to sit on.

sitting on coins... Uncomfortable.

Oh, and going out would suck. I can wrap some bills around my id and find plenty of spots to store it.

But I draw the line at stashing coins in my bra.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »
I can wrap some bills around my id and find plenty of spots to store it.

But I draw the line at stashing coins in my bra.

I don't believe you.....prove it with pics.....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 09:18:49 PM »
I digs me some Susan Bees.

yep I don't think strippers want coins tossed at them.

I've heard this is the best place to use the two dollar bill. 
Rolled or folded, they look like much more, attracting greater attention.

7-11 was a part time job.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »
New Zealand had done away with paper for under $5 denominations by the time I lived there 17 years ago.  They had $1 and $2 coins.  I thought it worked well enough.  Coinage could get excessive though if you weren't careful about the change you got vs spent.

They'd also done away with 1c pieces (all purchases were rounded to the nearest 5c - e.g. $1.93 would have you paying $1.95, and $1.92 would have you pay $1.90). 

Widespread acceptance of the dollar coin will result in:
-removal of the penny from circulation
-runaway inflation

I don't like the dollar coin.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
Con here. I don't carry change in my pocket. I don't like the weight or the noise of the coins rattling.

Someone mentioned going to electronic transactions... Hell no!  I like be anonymous when I want.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
 I like be anonymous when I want.

Cash ain't as anonymous as you think.

Modern ATM's are able to log the serial numbers of bills withdrawn per transaction.

Modern cash counting machines are able to log serial numbers when counting bills.

Your purchases can be tracked from when they leave your bank, to whatever merchant deposits your $20 bills.  Anything you break as change becomes more difficult to track, but anything done with an ATM $20 or $50 originated bill can be tracked.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:40 PM »

I bet some of them do. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »

I bet some of them do.

I saw live show once...sort of a human slot machine type of thing.  Nah...can't go there.  Could lead to a solution regarding competition for pocket space though.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
And I just like saying "Sacajawea."

DD

I'm reading the Lewis and Clark journals (free from Amazon for the Kindle) She hasn't been mentioned all that significantly but I'm still on the east side of the continental divide.

In high school I worked at a pizza joint that had a change machine hooked to the register. On the days I would open I had to fill the change maker from coin rolls from the bank, I'd run my finger down the quarter stacks and swap out any SBA dollars with quarters, I almost always got 2 or 3 that way,
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:05 AM »
I do like coins but the making them look gold is just another con job by the gooberment. Yes, let's pretend we're using real money. That will make it all better.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 12:40:47 AM »
I'm reading the Lewis and Clark journals (free from Amazon for the Kindle) She hasn't been mentioned all that significantly but I'm still on the east side of the continental divide.

I don't know if you ever get out to Illinois, but if so, you might check this place out. I found it interesting.

http://www.campdubois.com/

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 12:42:35 AM »
We've been seeing more and more pop up in the cash flow at work lately...I haven't started using them myself (or even really taking any in with my personal circulation, either, course I don't use cash much at all anymore)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 02:30:44 AM »
Widespread acceptance of the dollar coin will result in:
-removal of the penny from circulation
-runaway inflation

On the first, you say that like it's a bad thing. 

On the second point, please explain that mechanism.  Neither NZ nor Canada experienced that upon replacement of $1 and $2 bills with coins.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 02:46:52 AM »
I like the Sacajawea dollar coin.
That's my favorite too.  I DON'T like the SBA dollars.  The new gold-tone ones with the presidents on them are OK.

I have dozens of the big ugly Eisenhower dollars.  I doubt they will ever be worth much more than $1 numismatically (is that a word?) so I should probably start spending them one or two at a time to freak people out.  >:D
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 04:29:15 AM »
pro, would like to see a $2 or $5 coin to. look into average life of a $1 bill. and the replacement cost.

Also, the annoyance of having a thoroughly ruined $1 bill.  Especially working night shift; it ain't worth getting out during bankers' hours to swap out a buck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 04:30:56 AM »
We get both the SBA and the gold-toned dollar coins out of our break room change machine.  I've generally got a few of each around.  Not so rare for us.  I suspect most of them just circulate through the vending machines and back to the change machine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »
i don't like them. they're too big and heavy, and don't even have much novelty value. in this world, $1 is essentially change; you can't get much for under $5. so, after a day out on the town, i'd much rather have my wallet thick with singles rather than my pocket overloaded with heavy jingling coins weighing my pants down.

tmm

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
Cash ain't as anonymous as you think.

Modern ATM's are able to log the serial numbers of bills withdrawn per transaction.

Modern cash counting machines are able to log serial numbers when counting bills.

Your purchases can be tracked from when they leave your bank, to whatever merchant deposits your $20 bills.  Anything you break as change becomes more difficult to track, but anything done with an ATM $20 or $50 originated bill can be tracked.
Well, that just blows.  I'd ask what is the point of that, but I already know the answer, "Because we can. - Big Brother"
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »
I just got back from a week in Toronto

Its kinda odd having 10 bucks in change in your pocket in 5 coins

change is made faster than the US, but maybe they are sharper up there

the 2 dollar coin is 2 metals and big
the 1 dollar is smaller and golden

one dollar bills get abused, so coins last longer
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »
I don't know if you ever get out to Illinois, but if so, you might check this place out. I found it interesting.

http://www.campdubois.com/

That does look interesting but I won't even consider a voluntary trip to Illinois until they have reciprocity with Oklahoma carry permit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
I just got back from a week in Toronto

Its kinda odd having 10 bucks in change in your pocket in 5 coins

I know the feeling.  I worked for a Japanese company in the late '90s and early '00s, and traveled to Japan now and again.  Using their Â¥500 and Â¥1000 coins was odd like your Canadian experience.  At the exchange rate back then they were the rough equivalent of $5 and $10 coins.  It was very easy to accumulate pocket change.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
That does look interesting but I won't even consider a voluntary trip to Illinois until they have reciprocity with Oklahoma carry permit.

If you wanted to avoid Illinois for all eternity, you could just say so.  :laugh: