Author Topic: "Switchblade" backpack drone  (Read 7623 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
"Switchblade" backpack drone
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:59:43 PM »
I've never seen this little weapon before. Pretty cool. I wonder if it's really being used?

http://tu.tv/videos/switchblade-pelicula

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: "Switchblade" backpack drone
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:31:43 AM »
I've never seen this little weapon before. Pretty cool. I wonder if it's really being used?

Would've been a lot cheaper and easier to just give the cameramen pistols.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:46:38 AM »
Would've been a lot cheaper and easier to just give the cameramen pistols.

:D :D

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:40:51 AM »
I still think they look like a SPAD.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »

I wonder what the countermeasures would be for a political rally, where such a thing has been waiting on the side of a building for a month or so, looking like a pipe or a piece of a cell tower antenna...
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »

I wonder what the countermeasures would be for a political rally, where such a thing has been waiting on the side of a building for a month or so, looking like a pipe or a piece of a cell tower antenna...

Wouldn't it be easier to just keep them on the roof? Much better for installation and maintenance, not to mention concealment.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just keep them on the roof? Much better for installation and maintenance, not to mention concealment.

You're missing AJ's message...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 12:30:06 PM »

Could be. Although in this scenario, those putting it into position aren't going to want to repeatedly come back and keep checking on it. And the actual day-of, there might be a bunch of .gov alphabet soup agency snipers up there. Although, with it's NLOS and vertical launch capabilities, yes, it would be just one more pipe and/or box amongst the HVAC gear, lightning rods, and whatever else decorates the top of your average commercial building.

You're going to have to put the VIP in some sort of armored polycarbonate-laminate box, or have CWIS of some sort in the podium. Probably both.

Or, public appearances like that just become a thing of the past for anyone important, or controversial enough.

Problem with CWIS then is a head-height low angle of attack puts the innocent audience right in the line of fire of any countermeasures, kinetic or directed energy.  Save for the explosives, I don't see why a group or dedicated individual with some EE and CE skills couldn't create such a system right now with COTS hobby items, and a PLC and GPS receiver.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:35:27 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 01:10:09 PM »
If you know where the podium is, why not just use a mortar?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

PTK

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
Could be. Although in this scenario, those putting it into position aren't going to want to repeatedly come back and keep checking on it. And the actual day-of, there might be a bunch of .gov alphabet soup agency snipers up there. Although, with it's NLOS and vertical launch capabilities, yes, it would be just one more pipe and/or box amongst the HVAC gear, lightning rods, and whatever else decorates the top of your average commercial building.

You're going to have to put the VIP in some sort of armored polycarbonate-laminate box, or have CWIS of some sort in the podium. Probably both.

Or, public appearances like that just become a thing of the past for anyone important, or controversial enough.

Problem with CWIS then is a head-height low angle of attack puts the innocent audience right in the line of fire of any countermeasures, kinetic or directed energy.  Save for the explosives, I don't see why a group or dedicated individual with some EE and CE skills couldn't create such a system right now with COTS hobby items, and a PLC and GPS receiver.

That's.... a disturbing thought, and all too plausible. It still amazes me that no one has made a simple pulse jet cruise missile and lobbed it at an important figure, too. Here's hoping neither of these technologies are ever used in such a heinous way. =|

Aim, line of sight, firing position, etc. Come on, you know better than that.  ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 01:22:07 PM »

- Because a mortar is rarely 100% on target it's first round. Nor will you get a second shot. This is made more difficult by vertical narrow spaces between buildings in urban terrain.

- Because people futzing with a mortar will look conspicuous.

- Both the firing and the landing of the mortar are noisy. The drone is quiet on launch.

- Because Hobby Lobby, and Hobby Town USA don't sell mortar kits and parts.

- For all the other tactical and strategic reasons the IDF and the US .mil don't use a mortar, even when they also know where the target is.

- Because a small RC or completely independent drone zipping up to the VIP and blowing his/her head off is much more psychologically devastating.

- Because unattended mortars have been tried by the IRA and others, and they never did much damage, or hit what they were aiming at.
I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
- For all the other tactical and strategic reasons the IDF and the US .mil don't use a mortar, even when they also know where the target is.

Wait...they don't? So what are these guys doing?  ???

That's.... a disturbing thought, and all too plausible. It still amazes me that no one has made a simple pulse jet cruise missile and lobbed it at an important figure, too.

It's a lot easier to build a pulse jet than it is to make one go where you want it to. Probably not worth the effort.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:48:01 PM »

Wait...they don't? So what are these guys doing?  ???

My initial statement is not exclusive of ever using a mortar. I simply stated the truth that there are plenty of times they do not use a mortar.

Otherwise we would not have artillery, cruise missiles, rifles, handguns, shoulder launched missiles, CAS from aircraft, or armed drones in theater as well.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Could be. Although in this scenario, those putting it into position aren't going to want to repeatedly come back and keep checking on it.

Oh, I thought you meant that a govt would be using them. Unless they're close to street level,   emplacing them on walls gets tricky, and less than discrete.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »
Oh, I thought you meant that a govt would be using them. Unless they're close to street level,   emplacing them on walls gets tricky, and less than discrete.

Well, a .gov may well be using them too, not just non-state actors. While an explosive drone is probably now within the reach of a talented hobbyist, or a team of gifted college students pursuing an EE degree, the first users of such tech will probably be state run militaries and clandestine/intelligence services, on their own soil, or not...

There might have already been one such attack in Russia (Warning NSFW), but luckily the intent seems to have been just disruption, and not assassination, and the UAV was struck down by a lucky member of the security detail.
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »
will probably be state run militaries and clandestine/intelligence services, on their own soil, or not.

That's what scares me a bit.

Every new piece of tech like this that comes out (mini UAVs with offensive potential, various crowd control measures, etc) I worry if they will be used by a .gov against it's citizens (particuarly our gov't and us), whether it's to slap down legit rally or to spark an incident...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 09:36:16 PM »
Regarding a mortar, I think this:
http://www.baesystems.com/ProductsServices/bae_prod_eis_pgmm.html
Is more of a concern than a small UAV.  Draw a 7km radius around a point high value target, can you ensure there isn't a van with a small hole in the roof in that radius?  And it's short time on target, and fire-and-forget.  As the technology flows down into 81mm and even 60mm class mortars...then what.

Also, you can be DAMN accurate with a conventional mortar, and the mass on target per unit deployed equipment weight of modern mortars is something to behold.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 10:42:03 PM »
Wait...they don't? So what are these guys doing?  ???

Showing the Canadians how to make combat coffee?.....

It's a lot easier to build a pulse jet than it is to make one go where you want it to. Probably not worth the effort.

Nazi Germany didn't think so....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
Regarding a mortar, I think this:
http://www.baesystems.com/ProductsServices/bae_prod_eis_pgmm.html
Is more of a concern than a small UAV.  Draw a 7km radius around a point high value target, can you ensure there isn't a van with a small hole in the roof in that radius?  And it's short time on target, and fire-and-forget.  As the technology flows down into 81mm and even 60mm class mortars...then what.

Also, you can be DAMN accurate with a conventional mortar, and the mass on target per unit deployed equipment weight of modern mortars is something to behold.

The guy or device that needs to be within LOS to be illuminating the target I mean... Theoretical VIP with the laser designator is going to have some trouble I think.

But something produced by an entire division of BAE is not what I'm talking about here. That's not really tech that's well within the realm of a small group of non-state actors engaged in asymmetrical warfare.

These small startup UAV companies, and college teams of talented undergrads making UAV's using OTS hobby parts that can fly right at a wall and then flip 180 and perch there like a bird/bat, or drop through a window, are a lot closer...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:13:15 PM by Monkeyleg »
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
The guy or device that needs to be within LOS to be illuminating the target I mean... Theoretical VIP with the laser designator is going to have some trouble I think.

Depends on the tracking capabilities; if it just needs a second or so of an IR laser, and locks onto that point with GPS guidance, then a designator disguised as a camera might go completely unnoticed.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:12:54 PM by Monkeyleg »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »
Depends on the tracking capabilities; if it just needs a second or so of an IR laser, and locks onto that point with GPS guidance, then a designator disguised as a camera might go completely unnoticed.

Or someone nearby with a properly tuned emitter on a suicide mission, I mean, the lethal radius of a 120mm mortar is pretty big.  (or a fixed emitter, doesn't have to be that big)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Sorry for the modifications on the two posts, but I'm just not comfortable with the use of the "P" word, no matter how hypothetical.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 12:51:57 AM »
These small startup UAV companies, and college teams of talented undergrads making UAV's using OTS hobby parts that can fly right at a wall and then flip 180 and perch there like a bird/bat, or drop through a window, are a lot closer...

>:D

My team of undergrads who did underwater robotics last year are doing autonomous aerial vehicles this year.  The technology is pretty good, even at the over the counter level, as youtube will readily show.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 06:24:25 AM »
Or someone nearby with a properly tuned emitter on a suicide mission, I mean, the lethal radius of a 120mm mortar is pretty big.  (or a fixed emitter, doesn't have to be that big)

Maybe slip a cell phone or microtransmitter in someone's bag/purse unknowingly before they attend a certain event....lots of possibilities....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.