Author Topic: Dark Energy is a Repulsive Force  (Read 7627 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Dark Energy is a Repulsive Force
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110519113152.htm

Scientists have discovered that while Fistful is not a force of nature, Dark Energy will drive the universe apart. =D

I can see a reason for there to be an opposing force to counter-act Gravity.  No energy is free or constant. 

It pains me to hear from repeated studies that the universe is expanding and will continue to expand forever until it becomes a meaningless miasma of atomic particles and stale radio waves with no intelligence or purpose to it.  I have a hard time accepting a concept of a beginning or end to Time and I accept the Big Bang about as well as I accept divine Creation.... I think they are human constructs to try and define a "beginning" that never existed.  Ever since Junior High School science class I've always been attached to the notion of the universe as a giant lung.  The Big Bang was an exhale action of that lung, and after a certain point of expansion it will fall in on itself and re-compress into the pre-Bang mass until it hits critical mass and then re-expand again, restarting creation anew.  Though that view is problematic from a conservation of energy standpoint.... altering the acceleration of the entire universe takes more than a little bit of energy.

In light of Gravity having an opposing force (Dark Energy), I think that Dark Energy has some surprising and currently unknown limitations pertaining to its repulsive properties.  The notion that Dark Energy is infinite and has the power to spread the Universe into diffuse chaos is as infantile in its limitlessness as the notion that Gravity has infinite power to cause the Universe to infinitely expand and contract in repeated Big Bangs.

It will be interesting to see if the Voyager probes that are currently leaving Sol's influence and entering the interstellar region past the Heliosheath will alter their velocity in any way due to Dark Energy "accelerating" them.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Dark Energy is a Repulsive Force
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »
Some theories now indicate that the universe may be "steady state" again, but on a much longer timescale.

And that the next big-bang will happen after a few quintillion years of the heat-death/big rip of expansion, the collision of higher dimensional surfaces, or quantum probability will bring forth another big bang into the empty universe.

There's some partial evidence of this. There's gaps or holes greater than the standard deviation in the COBE survey of the universal background radiation, and they might be spots where other universes (or other big-bang events in our one singular universe) have happened.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
Meh, it's all relative.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
On the beginning, I think the COBE mission data is really interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBE

The background microwave glow of the universe fits the model that the universe used to be really hot everywhere almost perfectly.

Lots of interesting data out there if one has the time and inclination to sift through it.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »
Also interesting.

While ANY estimate that multiplies physical dark matter by orders of magnitude still can't account for observed gravitational effects in how galaxies hold themselves together, we do still keep on finding more and more of the physical stuff. Brown dwarves etc.

Now it turns out there are LOTS of "rogue planets" out there with no star to orbit. Many of them gas-giant sized. Which is interesting, because gas giants provide a few things.

- Billions of years of internal heat from their own formation.
- Many moons if Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune are any indication.
- Internal heating of those moons by tidal forces.

So it's possible that there may be lots of interesting worlds out there with volcanisim like Io, or possible underwater deep sea trenches/thermal vents like are believed to be possible on Europa. The Sun keeps Jupiter and it's retinue of moons well lit for visual observation, but it's already far out enough that it provides no warmth for "life as we even remotely know it".

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2011/05/18/New-class-of-homeless-planets-found/UPI-78911305767526/
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
But how do we know that gravity isn't the "Dark Force" and the yet to be discovered opposite isn't the "Light Force"  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »
On the beginning, I think the COBE mission data is really interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBE

The background microwave glow of the universe fits the model that the universe used to be really hot everywhere almost perfectly.

Lots of interesting data out there if one has the time and inclination to sift through it.

It also defined the information content of the universe at the time atoms formed (thus "freezing" the CBR)...or in other words: science. it works, bit$&es

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/xkcd/dae9/?cpg=froogle
(ironically, the t-shirt I'm actually wearing)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
But how do we know that gravity isn't the "Dark Force" and the yet to be discovered opposite isn't the "Light Force"  ???

I thought it was "dark" because it was harder to detect than gravity. No?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »

That's just because of our frame of reference.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »

Well, there's a couple of "dark" things being bandied about in modern astronomy/cosmology.

Dark Matter: Dark matter is the unseen mass that surrounds galaxies, or clusters of galaxies. When observing a galaxy's shape and spin as the stars orbit their common center of mass, they orbit in a way that's impossible for the amount of mass and gravity that the visible stars represent. (example, imagine you're on the moon, observing a satellite in orbit about the Earth, but it's speed for that given orbit is such that the Earth would have to be 2 or 3x as heavy as you know it must be for the satellite to be orbiting in the way it is. So something is creating "extra gravity".)

So same with the stars moving about their galaxies, there has to be some kind of extra dark matter/mass, something we can't see, that's exerting the extra gravitational pull to make the galaxies retain the shape they do, and the individual stars we can see orbit in that galaxy the way they do.

The other proof of this that we see, is that galaxies create gravitational lensing (light from further objects bending around the galaxy) we can observe that is also out of proportion to it's visible mass.

There's several different theories, some partially proven as to what this extra dark matter is.

- More regular matter that's not lit like stars so it's hard to see, brown dwarves, way more rogue planets that don't orbit stars than we ever thought existed, black holes that have nothing nearby to suck in and give away their presence, gas dust... We've found some new categories of these things, however, none of them have come even within an order of magnitude of providing the extra mass.

- Swarms of exotic "slippery" particles that don't  have mass and exert gravitational influence, but don't interact with other particles or matter. Like a neutrino but "heavy".

- Some fundamental misunderstanding, or heretofore unobserved macro effect of space-time and gravity.

Dark Energy: Most who are somewhat conversant with astronomy and cosmology know all the observed galaxies and clusters are flying away from each other, and just like motes of dust in an expanding balloon, the farther points of dust are receding faster than the closer points.

However, as astronomers have measured the rate of which the farthest galaxies are receding, they're actually speeding up. Which was quite a shock. So instead of just moving away faster the farther you look, they're accelerating, as if they're being pushed by something.

Possible answers include that gravity is actually a repulsive force over ultra-long distances, or again, some unknown new force in the universe, or some fundamental misunderstanding of motion, gravity, and space-time over very long distances and very large scales.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:06:31 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:43:48 PM »
I think the Universe is surrounded by Dark Vacuum, and that's what's pulling everything apart.  The inherent viscosity (Dark Viscosity) of our Universe is why it looks like the furthest stars are moving away faster.

There.  That fits good.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »
I think the Universe is surrounded by Dark Vacuum, and that's what's pulling everything apart.  The inherent viscosity (Dark Viscosity) of our Universe is why it looks like the furthest stars are moving away faster.

There.  That fits good.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

Actually, that's about as apt a description as anything.

For all we know, relative time runs faster at ultra long distances, so it makes things look like they're accelerating. (shrug)

Since it appears that space time is expanding, over billions of years, only our local group of gravitationally bound galaxies will remain within sight, (Andromeda will have hit and merged with the Milky Way long before then) the others will have passed beyond the visual horizon, so far that light will never reach us, or be so red-shifted into past the IR and microwave region, that their images will be indistinguishable from the background radio hiss of hydrogen.

And it's possible the expansion of space-time with this dark energy may actually unbound what's left of the burnt out galaxies by then, the dust and gas, and burnt out black dwarfs and black holes that remain, and they'll begin to receed from each other.

Eventually whatever cold ashes orbit the dead cores of stars or black holes will be pulled apart, then planet and star-core sized things, and then even atoms, and then sub atomic particles themselves.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »
Some fundamental misunderstanding, or heretofore unobserved macro effect of space-time and gravity.

Most likely, IME ;)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »
It's all due to Global Warming...
Hi.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »
 ???
Since this has to do with space and forces, has anyone thought to ask Luke Skywalker?  The force was with him ...... [tinfoil] [popcorn]    .....................        :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »
So...does this mean that there might be a Dark Fistful somewhere out there?.....  [tinfoil]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 07:04:08 PM »
So...does this mean that there might be a Dark Fistful somewhere out there?.....  [tinfoil]

Or a Luke Fistful, or a Fistful Skywalker?  Or maybe a Darth Fistful...yeah, that would be it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 07:06:23 PM »
Or a Luke Fistful, or a Fistful Skywalker?  Or maybe a Darth Fistful...yeah, that would be it.

Don't flatter His Faultiness... he's merely Fistbacca.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
Don't flatter His Faultiness... he's merely Fistbacca.

You still flatter him.

Fistiwok.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
  Or maybe a Darth Fistful...yeah, that would be it.

Always two there are.....a Master and a Fistful.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 10:27:46 PM »
It's all due to Global Warming...

That makes it Bush's fault doesn't it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 10:42:39 PM »
Dark Energy is a Repulsive Force - what does this tell us about Helen Thomas?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »
AJ Dual said,

Quote from: 230RN on May 20, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

There.  That fits good

Actually, that's about as apt a description as anything.

Jes' overusin' that there razor Occam used. And them there Black Hole guys soak up that there Phlogiston like there was no tomorrow. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
Possible answers include that gravity is actually a repulsive force over ultra-long distances, or again, some unknown new force in the universe, or some fundamental misunderstanding of motion, gravity, and space-time over very long distances and very large scales.

So we may be headed for another change, as when Newton was superseded by relativity, or Euclid by the fractal?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »
So we may be headed for another change, as when Newton was superseded by relativity, or Euclid by the fractal?

We're already headed for that paradigm shift in physics because of how quantum mechanics is at odds with general/special relativity and gravity on the macro scale.

Einstein isn't going to be replaced, more just "added onto". Since some very fundamental aspects of Relativity have been confirmed through gravitational and light experiments, from machines in labs, satellites in orbit, measuring the positions of the Voyager probes looking for the variation between their Newtonian position and their actual Einsteinian one, to measuring gravitational lensing of light by distant galaxies. Relativity won't be disproved, as it's a very good theory for "what" happens. What they're looking for is more of a "why" that fits on all scales from the very very small to the very very large. And some blurbs that might fill in a cause for stuff like "dark energy" or long-scale repulsion in the Universe.

This is the quest for super-unification, sometimes called quantum gravity, or "the theory of everything".

I promise not to duck.