Author Topic: Pepper Spray/Mace/etc  (Read 7611 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Pepper Spray/Mace/etc
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »
I have a friend that wants some sort of chemical canister spray.

What is the current recommended spray-du-jour?

And is it available via web/mail order, or where can it be purchased?  I don't seem to ever see pepper spray at WalMart or department stores, and I'm not sure if gun stores carry it... where does one buy pepper spray?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Twycross

• friend
Re: Pepper Spray/Mace/etc
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »
I'm not sure what the current flavor of the month is, but afaik there are no particular regulations on buying it, outside of NJ. Cabelas has a wide selection. My local Wholesale Sports has a display sitting out somewhere in the firearms corner. Maybe cruise the local sporting goods shops?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:58:25 PM by Twycross »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »
I've bought it for my wife and daughter at my local gun stores.

Any idea of how loading a 12 gauge shell with peppercorns would work?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

In some countries over here, tear gas/pepper spray rounds seems fairly popular for 9mm blank firing pistols. Perhaps something similar is available in 12 gauge?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
I have heard that this is really good and it's made in AZ.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
I'm not sure what the current flavor of the month is, but afaik there are no particular regulations on buying it, outside of NJ.

Dunno about buying it, but it's illegal to carry it in Massachusetts unless you have a Class A carry license.

Try www.sportsmansguide.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
I have a friend that wants some sort of chemical canister spray.

What is the current recommended spray-du-jour?

And is it available via web/mail order, or where can it be purchased?  I don't seem to ever see pepper spray at WalMart or department stores, and I'm not sure if gun stores carry it... where does one buy pepper spray?

I've mostly bought at gun stores.  Just picked up some Sabre Red Blue Face Pepper Spray for La Esposa because, well, that's what they had.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 11:04:11 PM »

Probably not very well, at least as a chemical irritant dispersal method. It might work as a less-lethal device, but I think it would still be considered lethal force.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »
Probably not very well, at least as a chemical irritant dispersal method. It might work as a less-lethal device, but I think it would still be considered lethal force.

Yeah I think in pretty much any state pointing a firearm at someone is considered lethal force regardless of what it's loaded with or if it's even loaded at all.
Look, tiny text!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
Bear spray or those huge Sabre riot canisters. Spray lots of people some, or one person A LOT.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »

Why the hell would you load homemadeup *expletive deleted*it in a shotgun when you could load buck or slugs? I mean, if you are justified at shooting at somebody...you are justified in using the good *expletive deleted*it.

Personally, as far as pepper spray goes, Sabre Red. I don't really care for less-lethal or non-lethal defensive solutions...but Sabre Red is some of the better stuff on the market.

Don't bother with the cheap *expletive deleted*it you see in the stores (such as that $5 can of "Mace" you see in the checkout lane at K-Mart.)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
Some people are not affected by mace or tear gas. Nearly everyone is affected by pepper spray.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
Here are a few thoughts:

http://www.defensedevices.com/foxfoam15oz.html

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SABRE-RED-USA-Pepper-Foam-2EUJ9

forget this 3-in-1 stuff    http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-template/SABRECivilianDefensePepperSprays/Page

You want the stuff with the flip top.  It acts like a safety and prevents you from spraying whatever you are carrying the canister in, and prevents you from spraying yourself regardless if you use your thumb or forefinger to depress the trigger.

You want nothing less than 2.5 oz, and either stream (good), foam (better) or gel (best) so tat the risk of blowback is reduced as much as possble.  You want more than enough to cover the sprayee's face to a depth of at least an inch, which means a whole lot of product.  You may not want to stick around long enough to deploy that much product, but having it and not needing it and so forth.

Buy at least two of the product, as you want one to use in practice.  Get a good stiff piece of 8x11 cardboard mounted on the end of a looooong pole to use as the target.  The person on the other end of the pole ducks, dodges, weaves, parries and THRUST!  (oops!  wrong cartoon. =D) while the trainee attempts to repeatedly hit the target.  That "cover the target in a cris-crossing pattern" stuff you see in training videos is great for a stationary target but most muggers/rapists do not stand still.

If the container says it holds up to 20 1-second sprays and you have used one 3-second spray, consider the container empty.  Yes, there is probably product and propellant still in there, but it just might not be enough for next time.  $20 is a small enough prce to pay for peace of mind.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=148914

That model is discontinued.  It's been replaced by this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=344219

I have one for me, and one for SWMBO.  They can sometimes be found for about $10 less.

There is also a nifty little (ambidextrous) holster available:
DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
Fox makes good stuff, bought mine from Amazon. Affects breathing within a foot or so. 

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
Fox makes good stuff, bought mine from Amazon. Affects breathing within a foot or so

What, do you splash it on yourself like cologne to keep them away?  :lol:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
What, do you splash it on yourself like cologne to keep them away?  :lol:

DD
It does give one a nice, ruddy complexion.  :lol:

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »
The cold steel from my first post in this thread is particularly nasty, they add black pepper to the mix to induce a sneeze reflex to draw the capsicum deeper into the attacker's mucus membranes.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »
The cold steel from my first post in this thread is particularly nasty, they add black pepper to the mix to induce a sneeze reflex to draw the capsicum deeper into the attacker's mucus membranes.

That borders on sadistic.  I gotta get some of that.  =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »
That borders on sadistic.  I gotta get some of that.  =D

DD

DD, you should watch some of the videos it is nasty stuff...They also have inert training units as well.  It comes out as a foam, but then liquefies on contact.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
DD, you should watch some of the videos it is nasty stuff...They also have inert training units as well.  It comes out as a foam, but then liquefies on contact.

Yeah, I'm seriously looking at that.  I checked your link when you first posted it, and saved it for later.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »

I would have thought capsicum would cause sneezing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
I would have thought capsicum would cause sneezing.

It is not possible to inhale the air necessary to sneeze through the waterfall of snot exiting every pore of your body.

BTW, the foam and gel stuff are really crappy on hotdogs.  The old-fashioned mist and stream stuff are yummy.  The DoC trainees hated to see me spraying and scarfing down dogs on training day. =D :angel:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 12:39:24 AM »

That wins my vote for best buy!

I've used a ton of pepper spray, practice is important and often over looked.
Get the 2.5 or 3.5 cans because they got the good safety flip over the spray button.

Other kinds where you flick the button to the right, spray in your pocket, from personal experience - do not carry any pepper spray in front pants pocket !!! :'( :'( :facepalm: :facepalm:

Let me tell you - it hurts!

I carried for yrs in San Francisco and got lots of practice, one time as a messenger I checked in a can of grizzly bear at the federal building ( they used to store keys/multi tools etc at the front desk/security) the authoritarian security guard freaked out trying to tell me it was illegal & said he was getting the Fed police ( as if they know CA law-LOL! ) so when I got back to the desk I had a Fed cop waiting there for me, "what do you need this for he asked"  I answered ( truthfully ) that I did occasional process serving and sometimes came across angry pitbuls  , he then said "you know, you cant use this on people" I remarked "really" it seems to work just fine!" with a cheeky kind of smile. He smiled and handed me the can-the security guard was apoplectic  :P

At one time I was very versed in CA self defense law and weapons laws - I loved people trying to tell me what I cant and couldn't do. ... I'm gonna get some of that cold steel spray for meself
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."