Author Topic: Cool supernatural TV shows  (Read 7633 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Cool supernatural TV shows
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »
Anyone have any good supernatural TV shows to recommend?

A girl I dated about 10 years ago turned me on to Joss Whedon and the Buffy TV series, which was entertaining with incredibly campy dialogue, good fun to watch.  Hated Angel after it.  Was disappointed that Dresden Files was canceled in 1 season, that was a great series.  Reaper was pretty good but had an awful series ending.  Really digged Supernatural for the first 6 seasons, but after stopping Armageddon the show has really derailed.  I just found Lost Girl on netflix, which is turning out to be really promising.  The neat modern-mixed-with-old-world elements from Dresden Files, with Whedonesque irreverence and some of the darkness from the height of Supernatural.  Once Upon A Time is meh, and Grimm never caught my appeal.

Lost Girl does make me beg an answer to this question, though:  Given this girl is an absolute slut (a succubus needs a plot line, after all), can a succubus even contract an STD since she heals from intercourse?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Cool supernatural TV shows
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:38:52 PM »
Well, you don't like Grimm.  I like it. .....  So what's to say?
Most of what you list I am unfamiliar with.  Lost Girl I started to watch but quickly lost interest because that is not what a succubus is, not according to  medieval european mythology atleast.  Maybe it is what a Hollywood TV writer thinks it is.  But you probably couldn't make a TV series about the real succubus/incubus myth and have it pass TV standards .... or does TV have any standards anymore?  ???  Think more of the old Barbara Hershey film The Entity and less of Little Bo Peep who wants a roll in the hay with everyone but can't because .....   >:D
I always liked The X-Files and Kolchak but that's all old hat now .......
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:42:43 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »
The Originals looks like it might be okay. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:23:13 PM »
Grimm is funny. I like that one.

I watched Once Upon a Time for the first half of the first season and liked it, but not enough to be a religious veiwer (which is why I have again given up on TV for awhile. Too much effort to droop what I'm doing to make sure I see some show)
It's one I'll eventually grab on DVD. But I understand why it might not appeal to the general populance of this board. It has a definate chick fic leaning.

I'd say the best I've seen in the past 5 or 6 years, if you don't mind nudity, cussing, sex and more nudity, is Tru Blood, although Anna Paquin kinda gets on my nerves.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
Haven, Warehouse 13.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »
The Dresden Files. Only 12 episodes, but worth a look.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
Lost Girl started out sort of OK, but then it became pretty much a lesbian show.

Grimm is OK, but requires a lot of suspension of disbelief . . . moreso than some other shows. Maybe it's the writing.

Warehouse 13 is OK, but I won't really miss it once it's cancelled.

I liked the old Kolchak:The Night Stalker TV show with Darren McGavin; if you haven't seen it, it may be worth the effort to find on Netflix or Hulu or something. (The reboot from a few years ago was terrible.)

My mother enjoyed Ghost Whisperer.  I think there was a vampire cop show (Forever Knight?) a few years back that wasn't horrible.

Hmmm . . . nobody has mentioned I Dream of Jeannie . . .   ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
Maybe they need a Monster Hunter International series.  They would likely ruin it though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:28:43 PM »
Haven, Warehouse 13.

OH YEAH!  Both those are pretty good!

...I liked the old Kolchak:The Night Stalker TV show with Darren McGavin; if you haven't seen it, it may be worth the effort to find on Netflix or Hulu or something. (The reboot from a few years ago was terrible.)

My mother enjoyed Ghost Whisperer.  I think there was a vampire cop show (Forever Knight?) a few years back that wasn't horrible.

Hmmm . . . nobody has mentioned I Dream of Jeannie . . .   ;)

The Night Stalker is also available on DVD for those who are videophiles.  I thought the reboot was OK but a bit too ... obtuse.  Don't forget the two pilot movies!
The Ghost Whisperer -- ANOTHER good one I'd forgotten about....however it was a tad sappy.  But clever at times....
I Dream of Jeannie....supernatural?  OK there's genies but come on that was a comedy -- and much like BeWitched.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
Dark Shadows, never actually seen the original series.
My favorites; X-Files, Kolchak: the Night Stalker, and Warehouse 13, Twilight Zone, and Freakylinks.
I've seen parts of Supernatural and it looks like it could be really good.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 05:03:51 AM »
Dark Shadows, never actually seen the original series.
My favorites; X-Files, Kolchak: the Night Stalker, and Warehouse 13, Twilight Zone, and Freakylinks.
I've seen parts of Supernatural and it looks like it could be really good.

He said he didn't like Supernatural post-stopping-the-Apocalypse (that'd be after they sent Lucifer back to the Pit, yes?). Me, I've enjoyed that show since day 1, and am looking forward to the Fallen Angels arc this season.

Since Buffy and Angel went off the air, that's probably the only supernatural show I watch, I guess. Though I will be watching Agents Of SHIELD starting in a couple of weeks, and that arguably qualifies.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 05:26:54 AM »
I still like Supernatural after stopping the apocalypse, just took some getting used to since the story arch on that was so long. And hippy Cas took some getting used to...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 05:33:27 AM »
I still like Supernatural after stopping the apocalypse, just took some getting used to since the story arch on that was so long. And hippy Cas took some getting used to...

Yeah, it's not bad but stopping the apocalypse is a hard act to follow.

I almost wish they'd go back to the very early "monster of the week" format and give the world saving a rest for a bit. They still do it occasionally when they need a filler episode, but most of the episodes are spent following the larger arcs.

New season doesn't start 'till October 8.  :'(
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 05:39:13 AM »
Actually, I'd rather they did away with the monster of the week episodes. Those were fine, and enjoyable. And you can have some underlying story arcs/themes with that format, some 3-4 episode larger arcs if you want, and be effective.

But IMO, once you take it down Grand Story Arc LN, the random episode with no baring on the current story line being thrown in is just annoying. "Hey Lucifer is still roaming the earth bringing down this whole apocalypse thing...but what the hell let's do something random!" No, I want to see what happens next damnit!
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:58:22 AM »
Actually, I'd rather they did away with the monster of the week episodes. Those were fine, and enjoyable. And you can have some underlying story arcs/themes with that format, some 3-4 episode larger arcs if you want, and be effective.

But IMO, once you take it down Grand Story Arc LN, the random episode with no baring on the current story line being thrown in is just annoying. "Hey Lucifer is still roaming the earth bringing down this whole apocalypse thing...but what the hell let's do something random!" No, I want to see what happens next damnit!

I tend to think that TV shows should either stick with a short, one-four season story arc and end it, or they should stick to a format that works with longer runs, like monster-of the-week stuff. Otherwise you end up with situations like this, where you have the writers trying to think of new world-threatening scenarios that get increasingly ridiculous or drawn out in order to keep things going.

I think going back to the first season's monster of the week format for a while would help to break that cycle. They could pull it off without leaving you hanging by fully wrapping up this seasons crisis instead of leaving you hanging, then go into the MOTW next season. Then they could either go back to the grand arc for one last season, or maybe two, and end it, or stick with MOTW and keep it going.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 06:04:40 AM »
BBC's Being Human is pretty good.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:29 AM »
Warehouse 13, but it's coming up on its last season, unfortunately.

Torchwood is occasionally interesting.

Back in the 1990s there was a 1-season show called Brimstone. It was quite fun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »
Forgot one, Special Unit 2.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 09:04:09 AM »
Maybe they need a Monster Hunter International series.  They would likely ruin it though. 

I would pay money to watch it if they would do it right.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
supernatural can be fun, but i only catch it on occasion.  i was enjoying defience which is more on the side of sci-fi with a few oddities thrown in. supposedly there will be a new season next year.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »
I Dream of Jeannie....supernatural?  OK there's genies but come on that was a comedy -- and much like BeWitched.
Barbara Eden as a genie in a harem girl costume, looking both super and natural.  Great stuff and pretty daring for a show that premiered on network TV in the '60s. 'Nuff said.  ;)

Back in the 1990s there was a 1-season show called Brimstone. It was quite fun.
That's right - it was pretty decent.

BBC's Being Human is pretty good.
Generally well done, where even the "heroes' have flaws - one week you cheer for them, the next week you want to stake/exorcise them.

Remembered two more - Reaper, a comedy inspired by Brimstone - veteran character actor Ray Wise played a convincing devil, the best part of the cast. (Although the demon working at the DMV was a nice touch.). Oh, and there was Dead Like Me, also a comedy, but kind of quirky.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »

I keep waiting for the story arc to return to Dean's pendant/necklace that Cas borrowed once, back in season 4 or 5.  It burns hot in the presence of God, or something like that.  Can be used to track down God.

You don't throw something like that out there and then ignore it for 4 seasons.  Especially with Heaven, Hell and Purgatory all malfunctioning.

The monster-of-the-week episodes irk me at this point.  Seasons 7 and 8 had way too much MotW stuff and not enough meat to the plot.

I've seen WH13 and Torchwood...are there more episodes for these shows than the episodes on Netflix?

Being Human is okay... but I have a core complaint with a lot of these shows:

Vampires are EVIL.  Not cinammon-sparkly-good-guys-that-brood, okay for tweens to drool over.  I think Whedon started all that garbage (which is one of the only complaints I have about BtVS, and the main reason I don't like Angel).  It's a huge reason why I like Supernatural.  The lead characters hate that tweeny garbage.

Keep my vamps evil (or at least a dark secret society, like Underworld), the irony on full throttle, the RPM's at the red line and the mags topped off.  And put it on TV.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
Hemlock Grove
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
SciFi Channel pissed me off when they killed the "Dead Like Me" series.   =( 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
Pushing Daisies was amazing, although not the typical sci-fi drama thing. X files was good when it was monster of the week, but generally sucked during the "trying to advance some alrger story arc" episodes. I've seen Warehouse 13 maybe 2-3 times, and liked it well enough for what it is.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.