Author Topic: For Sale: The Biggest Ranch in the U.S.  (Read 7612 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: For Sale: The Biggest Ranch in the U.S.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 03:01:12 PM »
Great, more californians in Texas.

The other white meat.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 10:35:37 PM »
The ranch was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961.[2][6]

Does that mean you can't make improvements on the property --like apartments and condos and such-like?

Sounds like a property detriment to me.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »
Does that mean you can't make improvements on the property --like apartments and condos and such-like?

Why would you want to do that?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:20 AM »

Would it still be worth several hundred million if you did that?  It isn't exactly in a suburb.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
Well I've seen very lucrative developments spring up out of "nothingness" farmland hereabouts over the last 45 years.

Hang the expense of running services to the property, it's apparently worth it in the long run, and frequently the local govs are cooperative.  Gunbarrel Estates NW of Boulder CO comes to mind immediately, but there've been others.

One developer pulled a fancy (and quite legal) trick by optioning the water rights on the property for a relative pittance, selling the option to the City (which is always buying water rights) at a handsome profit, then using the proceeds from that sale as a down payment for the property itself, then proceeded to develop it.  By nowadays, that  procedure might have become a standard operation, but at the time it was innovative for the area.  Kind of a stepladder/bootstrap operation, but if you have the balls, it can be done.

So, just 'cause a fitting property is out in the middle of nowhere, it doesn't mean it can't and won't be developed.  Just depends on how the $s work out.  (A lot depends on the mineral rights, too.)

If any part of those huge ranches is in actual ownership, and is near some pretty hills and/or a pretty stream and also within, say 5 or 10 miles of a major road, it might be very feasible to develop that portion.  And the local govs are usually pretty cooperative about it, considering the increase in the tax base... both in terms of property taxes and the sales tax revenue accompanying the necessary development of retail and service centers near the residential areas.  Developers can also sell or donate "Development Rights" to portions of the property to the local govs so they can make recreational areas, trails, etc., out of them.  Another possible $ source, and the costs of putting in trails and shelters and trash cans in the rec area is borne by the local govs... yet this becomes an amenity for your development.

As the saying goes, "Buy land.  They ain't makin' any more of it."

Terry Trump, 230RN  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:30:17 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 09:50:27 AM »
As the saying goes, "Buy land.  They ain't makin' any more of it."

This; there's always demand, and the supply is pretty solidly fixed.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
Given the buyer and his previous land purchases I'm guessing he's buying it as a way to swap unperforming money into something more stable. Happens all the time. That's why high rollers often own multiple lavish homes they never live in, or sometimes never even see.

The size and remote location also make it a perfect place for a private retreat. Vernon, 20 minutes away,  has an airstrip that could easily handle a King Air. Maybe even a Lear or Gulfstream. Wichita Falls, about an hour's drive, has a regional airport that can handle most passenger jets. Fly in a couple of bigwigs or even the whole team to a place with few people and plenty of spreadin' room.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 01:49:41 PM »
The size and remote location also make it a perfect place for a private retreat. Vernon, 20 minutes away,  has an airstrip that could easily handle a King Air. Maybe even a Lear or Gulfstream.

Um, it's a half million acres, and sold for three quarters of a billion bucks.  I'm pretty sure anyone investing that much can figure out how to put in as big and strong of a runway as they want.  Considering most ranches over a couple thousand acres already have at least a grass strip, I'd be surprised if there's not something there already.  Looking at the aerial views, it's got some 1.5 mile plus dead straight sections of road that could easily pull double duty as unpaved landing strips.  Paving one of those would hardly be out of reach of anyone who could afford the taxes on the place.