Author Topic: Trans-substantiation  (Read 7615 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Trans-substantiation
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 01:52:14 AM »
Greater minds have already covered this about 50 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvhYqeGp_Do

Oh, and thank you.  For years I've always wondered what Trans-substantiation meant, and now I know.  I don't care, but I know.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:40:41 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
Good old Tom Lehrer.  He and Scott Joplin and Il Papa make a good group.

I've often felt pity for all those souls who were put in Purgatory before Il Papa rescinded that little puppyma.

Terry

ETA: Forgive me in advance, though --it's been a while. Was that a mortal or a venial sin, or even a sin at all?  Or just "recommended procedure?"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »
The necessary elements of buying the trinity require no more mental stretching than believing that a ceremony makes wine and bread into divine flesh and blood.  Divine fleshy things are an inherent part of the religion.

I don't know much about that whole debate, but I would think it's more a question of whether it happens than whether it's possible. When I read the relevant passages, I read it as metaphor. Others obviously differ. I think this may be another instance where the Bible is purposefully ambiguous. Perhaps, for the first-century mind, accustomed to physical, blood sacrifice, it was comforting to have the physical connection to Christ's physical, sacrificed body. Perhaps some find it comforting, still.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:34:30 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »
An article of faith requires no resolution with science or philosophy or anything.  Either you believe or you don't.  If you don't you are not a member of the tribe.

Much like the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.  If you believe they exist they do; if you don't they don't.  Ask any 4 year old and then any 10 year old.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 02:17:00 AM »
An article of faith requires no resolution with science or philosophy or anything. 

It does, if you're interested in true things. If you just want to have faith in magical rainbow unicorns, that's different.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Trans-substantiation
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 04:21:34 AM »
No, no ... that's accepted practice, but you're not supposed to tell anyone.
No the Dirtbags scam is you can tell somebody but in this context to confession so then they are sworn to secrecy and can't reveal what you tell them
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
It does, if you're interested in true things. If you just want to have faith in magical rainbow unicorns, that's different.

Without belief in magical rainbow unicorns, or the Trinity, or Buddha, or the spirits of the forest or the Great Spaghetti Monster (and apologies to all the others I did not list) there is no religion.  Even your "worship" of true things is based on an article of faith - or perhaps you would like to explain what there was before there was The Big Bang?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2015, 11:12:54 AM »

Unintentionally Hilarious.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
Without belief in magical rainbow unicorns, or the Trinity, or Buddha, or the spirits of the forest or the Great Spaghetti Monster (and apologies to all the others I did not list) there is no religion.  Even your "worship" of true things is based on an article of faith - or perhaps you would like to explain what there was before there was The Big Bang?

stay safe.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm just saying that your dicta about faith may be true for those uninterested in truth. For those who want truth, an unsubstantiated faith in Whatever will not satisfy. Some want to have faith in those things for which we also have very compelling evidence. Could be Christ's resurrection for some; Man's descent from the lower orders, for those of that persuasion.

Which brings us to the point of this thread. It took only a few election cycles for the Left to go from their slogan of "fact-based politics" to their firm belief in the transgender phenomenon. They boisterously rejected faith-based "magical thinking" politics, only to fall for a politics in which men are women, etc. Schadenfreudelicious, no?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »

stay safe.

Even having a casual knowledge of philosophy would inform a person that everyone is acting on faith based on presuppositions, even materialistic atheists.

We don't really know most of what we claim to know.

Choose wisely what you decide to have faith in.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »
I'm just saying that your dicta about faith may be true for those uninterested in truth. For those who want truth, an unsubstantiated faith in Whatever will not satisfy.

For some, "truth" is whatever they choose to have faith in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend