Author Topic: And now we're sueing each other over bathrooms....  (Read 919 times)

dogmush

• friend
And now we're sueing each other over bathrooms....
« on: May 09, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »
So remember that NC bathroom law everyone was pissed about on Facebook a couple weeks ago?

Justice department decided it breaks federal civil rights laws against discrimination based on sex. Issued an ultimatum to the NC Governer.

NC sued fed.gov.  Fed.gov then sued NC.

Now either congress or the SCOTUS will get to decide whether "Gender Identity" is the same as "Sex" under Federal Law. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/09/politics/north-carolina-hb2-justice-department-deadline/

I understand that both sides of this have very strong feelings on the subject, (Feelings that I don't share either way, honestly) but I can't help but feel a little resigned that we are so far down the rabbit hole that this needs to be a federal court case.  Politicians on both sides love to crow about "Common Sense" and yet we have a federal court case to decide what "Sex" is.  I hope they don't get Bill Clinton to argue the liberal side, we still don't know what "is" is from his last courtroom appearance.

:facepalm:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: And now we're sueing each other over bathrooms....
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »
Bread & Circuses for the great unwashed as America circles  the drain.    :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »
...we have a federal court case to decide what "Sex" is...

The new normal. In Roe v Wade, they didn't know what murder was, and wouldn't let anyone else decide, either. In Obergefell, and the Obamacare rulings, they simply changed the meanings of words. And so it goes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:29:23 PM »
Most everyone was happy just leaving it alone.  It was the freaking activists that pushed this then the Obama admin tried to play hard ball using federal power.  I don't see this as "politicians on both sides" at all.  It looks like just one side is the one pushing it. 

Similar to Houston.  No one was looking to make an issue of this.  The liberal mayor who had accomplished absolutely nothing suddenly decided she wanted some sort of legacy legislation so she tried to pass a bathroom ordnance and then tried to subpoena sermons from local Churches after some preachers spoke against it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 11:25:26 PM »
Boy, they can't seem to go after cities that defy federal immigration laws or career politicians who play fast and loose with federal security rules.   But refuse to allow cross-dressers into the wrong bathroom and it ignites a federal firestorm.

“Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.”

Doubleplusgooder:

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 09:43:40 AM »
Those who engage in sexual perversion never were really looking for acceptance. They believe they are morally superior. That goes for the manlets that White Knight for them also in misguided displays of showing their modern "virtue".

That is why we have seen not laws just protecting those who practice deviancy but actually institutionalizing their moral relativizing. We are all forced by law to acquiesce to the Orwellian debauchery of our language.  

Man, women, marriage, family all have been appropriated and been twisted to mean something other than what they really are meant to represent as words.

This country is a freak show.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »
Those who engage in sexual perversion never were really looking for acceptance. They believe they are morally superior. That goes for the manlets that White Knight for them also in misguided displays of showing their modern "virtue".
That is why we have seen not laws just protecting those who practice deviancy but actually institutionalizing their moral relativizing. We are all forced by law to acquiesce to the Orwellian debauchery of our language.  
Man, women, marriage, family all have been appropriated and been twisted to mean something other than what they really are meant to represent as words.

Why can I not stop reading this in a booming baritone with a transatlantic accent?