Author Topic: Anyone over 30 should be dead  (Read 1638 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Anyone over 30 should be dead
« on: June 12, 2006, 10:23:55 AM »
not sure if this has been posted here yet, but I like it.

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.  Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.  We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.  After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.  No one was able to reach us all day.  No cell phones.  Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.  We had friends!  We went outside and found them.  We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.  They were accidents.  No one was to blame but us.  Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.  Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.  Horrors!  Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own.  Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.  They actually sided with the law.  Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.  The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.  We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.  And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives for our own good....

Doesn't it kind of make you want to run through the house with scissors?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 10:40:45 AM »
Lots of folks didn't survive due to those things.  Of the folks that did, many aren't has healthy as they would be otherwise.

Just 'cause the govt says they are bad, doesn't mean they aren't.

Chris

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »
Ain't that the truth.

Heck, I remember when HBO hit cable tv.  They had booths in the mall.  And I still didn't watch much tv (couldn't watch HBO without parents being home, something about controlling what I watched on tv).

Used to walk to school (elementary and junior) having to cross a busy street (main street to the AFB) which was around 4 or 5 miles.  I was skinny as heck and didn't worry about sex predatures, etc..

Skate boarding down a really steep hill, no "pads" and no helmet.  Your brakes consisted of finding the softest looking grass that you could Cheesy.

Bruises, bumps, scraps, cuts (but thankfully no broken bones) I had my share that's for sure.  

Oh, not to mention what we did with Big Wheels!

Wayne

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 01:55:31 PM »
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.  Horrors!
Tastes better that way.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 02:01:12 PM »
Yeah, that bottled water can be pretty nasty.  But nobody drinks water from garden hoses or from anywhere else anymore.  It's soda, gatorade or some other sugar water.

My sister told one of her in-laws not to feed honey to my infant nephew, and she had the same reaction, "It's a wonder we all survived!"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 02:12:30 PM »
You know, I'm only 20, and have done almost all that and far more.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 02:49:49 PM »
Heh. As a teenager on an eastern Long Island farm, I confess to the following:
1. Standing in a winter potato field 100 yards apart, we shot high-trajectory arrows at each other. Closest hit wins.
2. Spraying Malathion in the summer, the sprayer would often clog; off the tractor, open the hatch on the sprayer, reach into the Malathion up to my armpit, clear clog, resume spraying. Think I was wearing a respirator?
(PS: none of my kids were born with extra limbs or tics).
3. Hunt down the wild feral dogs left behind by summer people, who were surviving and littering in barns or dens in the woods and eating poultry. With shotguns.
4. Going "uppa Sound" after school with .22s to shoot whatever we felt like.
5. Drag-racing tractors on icy county roads, delighting in spinning the machine by stomping on one wheel brake.

Still survived, graduated, went to college, served in the Corps, successfully married and raised a family, and am looking forward to retirement.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 03:05:57 PM »
My sister told one of her in-laws not to feed honey to my infant nephew, and she had the same reaction, "It's a wonder we all survived!"

Honey has small amounts of botulism toxin in it.  Not enough to affect anyone over the age of 1.  Enough to paralyze an infant's respiratory system and kill him.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 03:30:15 PM »
I wasn't saying I agreed with great-aunt what's her name.

Why is it you have to wear a helmet now just to ride a bicycle?  I rode all over the place as a kid, and never even thought about wearing a helmet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 03:54:02 PM »
Honey has small amounts of botulism toxin in it.  Not enough to affect anyone over the age of 1.  Enough to paralyze an infant's respiratory system and kill him.
Almost correct.  Honey is a source of spores for the bacteria Clostridium botulinum, which once ingested germinate and grow in the infant GI, producing the toxin as part of its metabolic processes.  The problem lies in that the infant GI tract that does not yet have resident bacterial population of sufficient numbers and make up to fend off the C. botulinum introduced.  

Small nit-picky point, but then so the difference 'tween an assault rifle and an "assult weapon". Cheesy

And yes, anyone over 30 should be dead, since they've in most cases already passed on their DNA to the next generation.  Once the kids can fend for themselves, biologically parents are superfluous.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Lots of folks didn't survive due to those things.  Of the folks that did, many aren't has healthy as they would be otherwise.

Chris
Very true.  But the larger question is do we want legislation enacted to save us from ourselves?  Big Mother to make sure we behave?  

When I was a kid, during summer vacation we would get up at the crack of dawn, have our Cheerios and orange juice, and take off on our bikes for who-knows-where.  Just about every kids house had sandwich stuff available and it was understood that lunch was generally available to whoever happened to show up that day.  (The biggest worry was ending up at the house that served the weird tuna fish).  As long as us kids were home by dinner, no one was concerned.  

What no one here has brought up at this point is the fact that, when I was a kid, parents were more personally involved.  And, not just ones own parents, but everyone in the neighborhood.  There always was someone around to keep an eye on the kids, be it a homemaker mom or a dad on the swing or late shift.  And if the kids misbehaved, not one of the parents would have objected to a good solid browbeating from another parent if the kid misbehaved and deserved it.  The last thing I ever wanted to have to face was my mom after she received a phone call from someone else saying I was being a brat.    

Thats why I played with the fireworks in my own yard&
To the stars!

Warren

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
Quote from: Leatherneck
Heh. As a teenager on an eastern Long Island farm, I confess to the following:
1. Standing in a winter potato field 100 yards apart, we shot high-trajectory arrows at each other. Closest hit wins.
So this link should bring back memories, eh?

http://sapporo.cool.ne.jp/f1ash/flash/bowman.swf

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 04:12:43 AM »
Typhoon hit the nail smack dab on the head.

We(the general American population) have decided it's easier to let the TV raise the kids, and to have lawmakers law down ALL the law.

What happened to the days that Don't Lie, Don't Cheat, Don't Steal and Certainly Don't Harm another human being, was all the law you needed.

Now we have lawmakers getting into every minute detail of our lives.

The fear of lawyers has become a paralyzing epidemic.  

And the concept of personal responsibility left along time ago.

I remember the days of sun up to sundown bikeriding with no helmet or pads.  Quite frankly those days would still be here if we would actually punish the sickos that perpetrate vial crimes upon our children.

According to the left of center, homosexuals have no control over their sexuality, they are born with it. Just as heterosexuals are born with theirs.  They why on God's green earth do we think that pedophiles are not born with their sexual tendacies and stop trying to "cure" them or "rehabilitate" them.  If sexuality is genetic and your born with it, then there is no hope or chance that you will be able to prevent them from pursuing young children.
Once a child molester, always a child molester.  If your definitively caught touching a young child (12 or younger) you should be locked up for life. Period

Then just maybe parents wouldn't have to fear their children living a normal childhood.  The kids could then roam the streets burning off energy.  Instead of vegitating themselves into ADHD, ADD bullsh#t psychological conditions that "require" drugs and psychotherapy.

Of course that is just one of the many exuses "parents" use to avoid raising their children.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 05:13:26 AM »
Quote from: Typhoon
Quote from: mtnbkr

Chris
Very true.  But the larger question is do we want legislation enacted to save us from ourselves?  Big Mother to make sure we behave?  

Thats why I played with the fireworks in my own yard&
I have no argument with that other than I do think it's helpful to have SOME laws in place that help protect children from real dangers such as lead paint, medicine bottles, and not being properly strapped into a vehicle.  Accidents happen, people's attention waver, and kids get hurt through no fault of their own.

And I grew up much the same way you did (and played with fireworks in my own yard...).

Chris

engineer151515

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 06:29:14 AM »
"We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on"

That was required.  Better not show up at home early.  You'll just be told to take a bath and then the rest of the day was shot because you couldn't get dirty again.  

In the desert, the bats would circle those lampposts when the lights came on (probably feeding on the bugs).  After a few of those bats would swoop at you on your bike ride back to the house, you learned to get home not long after those lights kicked in.  hahahahah..

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 07:41:46 AM »
I saw a segment on Fox News right before reading this thread. It talked about how schools all over the country are removing "standard" playground equipment (e.g., jungle gyms, swings, monkey bars) and replacing them with "safe" alternatives: Swings that have arc limits, covered slides so kids can't fall out (with 3 foot thick sawdust at the bottom so they don't get hurt from the drop), and plastic everything so they can't be hurt by metal or wood.

The counter-argument to doing so happened to be exactly what a friend and I were talking about the other day. If you cocoon kids, how will they learn to experience life? Our conversation stemmed from seeing a dad run after his two or so year old (or whatever "just walking" age is) girl telling her (rightly) to stop running down a sidewalk like crazy or she'd fall and hurt herself. So what if she did fall? In that particular circumstance, she might have ended up with some scrapes or even bleeding, which no parent wants their kids to have, but wouldn't she have also learned a very valuable lesson about what happens when you overstretch your abilities -- something that might be one of many, many hard, but valuable life lessons she'll learn?

Obviously there are  limits to this philosophy (letting a kid stick a knife in an electric socket for instance), but falling off the jungle gym ( I did that a couple of times -- slow learner and all), or having a couple of kids pile on you after you get to the bottom of the slide, are small, but valuable experiences that help kids learn that life ain't always fair or safe.

Also on a tangent, Typhoon said:
The last thing I ever wanted to have to face was my mom after she received a phone call from someone else saying I was being a brat.
Hokey smokes was that ever right! All the parents in my neighborhood had equal authority to take care of problem kids, and my punishment was always much worse if my parents got a misbehavior report from someone else's parents than if they caught me misbehaving themselves.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 09:58:03 AM »
Our conversation stemmed from seeing a dad run after his two or so year old (or whatever "just walking" age is) girl telling her (rightly) to stop running down a sidewalk like crazy or she'd fall and hurt herself. So what if she did fall?
In the space of a year, my daughter broke the same arm twice, once from climbing (and falling) on the couch and the other time from running (and tripping) across the living room floor.  I agree that you have to let them experience life themselves, but I cringe when I see her running across pavement or sidewalks because I do not want to drive her to the emergency room again.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 12:15:12 PM »
Oh, believe me, I'd be cringing too. My friend and I were I think, examining things sort of from a Darwinian point of view. Kinda coming down to, "How much protection is too much?" and "How might being too overprotective (like the playground thing on the news) negatively impact kids later in life?"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."