Author Topic: What Happened to the New South? Confederate Month???  (Read 10136 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: What Happened to the New South? Confederate Month???
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »

No, not everyone was like that, but when the list of truly decent people I knew from there is less than ten, that's saying something.

There is truth to every stereotype.  Apparently Southerners aren't too worried about dispelling theirs.
We yankees have completely taken over the Raleigh NC area.  Around here you're more likely to hear a Boston accent then a southern accent.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »
the list of truly decent people I knew from there is less than ten

You're doing pretty good, then.

I'm not sure that I've found that many in the whole world yet  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 07:32:58 PM »
That's because you live in the middle of nowhere.  :P
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »
Had "slaves" been "technologically advanced machinery of which the North was envious", the viewpoint here would be quite different.  As it is, Lincoln created precedents in the Presidency that many of us, despite being fair-minded in terms of racial opportunity, find to be repulsive.

QFT

I am Virginian, always have been. My grandfather left VA for work in DC, the only generation that I am aware of that stayed out of state. Thankfully, I am back home. My family line supplied the woman who R.E. Lee would know as his mother. So, some of us take the pot stirring a little hard. "Treason" is a judgment of the victors, such as they are. I've never owned a slave, never harbored any racism. There was a time when the choice "Bobby" Lee made, between state and country, actually meant something. I'm glad he did the right thing. I'm very glad slavery ended where it did, damn shame federalism ended there too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »
I hold nothing against the South for its history of confederacy, or for fighting for what they believed in; my fault lies with bigotry, including there, South Africa, Japan, wherever.  I simply experienced more of it during my years in Georgia than I have anywhere else.

tl;dr: I hate bigots.  :P
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 11:44:02 PM »
thats funny. i am visibly "not from around here" have lived both north and south and found more bigotry in the north.  its sometimes dressed up politely but not hidden.  i much prefer someone who is honest enough to say "we don't like your kind" than the haoles who say "some of my best friends are blank. and my spidey sense tingles stronger the more the folks try to trumpet their "inclusiveness" . i worked for one of the mainstream churches and nothin cemented that opinion more.  in my life the most racist place i ever lived was boston, followed by dc.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »
Well, I live in a border state, and none of my best friends are Asian.  So what does that make me?    :P

Oh, wait.  One of my best friends in the service was half-Filipino.  Does that count? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 12:04:02 AM »
would you let him date your sister?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »
That particular half-Filipino?  No.   =D  This is the kind of schmuck that, when he sees his fiancee for the first time in months, takes her to Hooters for lunch. =|

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 12:56:07 AM »
Well, I live in a border state, and none of my best friends are Asian.  So what does that make me?    :P

Oh, wait.  One of my best friends in the service was half-Filipino.  Does that count? 
"you and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"?  =D sorry, but it just had to be done. :angel: [popcorn] :facepalm:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
 ???

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »
 =( guess the meds are in high gear, sorry. :-X

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 08:26:50 AM »
Likely the combination of cornbread and buttermilk.

If it was the Southern diet making the politicians act this stupid this moronic proposal would have been done long ago.

What is causing this stupidity?  Confederate History Month?  Oh, boy, I'll be they can hardly wait for the slavery unit.  Geez. :facepalm:

I should have read the entire thread before even resopnding at all.  You, sir, are a bigot, and don't even realize it.  This thread is done.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”