Author Topic: Miller v. Murkowski update  (Read 10212 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Miller v. Murkowski update
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:30:09 PM »
I'm actually not too worried about this one, we'll have a decent vote on guns and such either way and I love getting your tax dollars sent to me to burn for warmth on cold winter nights, but the media coverage is odd.

They keep talking about how Murkowski is "gaining" as the write-in count progresses.  Actually she can't gain, only lose votes, which is what's happening.

All 92,528 write-in ballots have been presumed to be for Murkowski; with Miller only having around 80K after the polls closed he appears to be dreaming if he thinks he can win.

But not all 92,528 are proving to be actual votes for his opponent so this is going to come down to the court decision(s) on the challenges.

Actual counting of the write-ins is showing that only 89% are clearly unchallengeable for Murkowski, with maybe up to another 10% being challenged.  If that ratio holds, that's only a total of 82,350 or so unchallengeable votes.

As of last night Miller was at 81,195 votes.  That's a small margin of 1,155 "for sure" votes for Murkowski.  Further, there are still absentee and early ballots left to count, none with Murkowski's name on them (and I don't think those can even have write-ins), so a significant portion of those are likely to go to Miller; which means that margin of "for sure votes" may disappear or even invert in Miller's favor.

That means the Court rulings on the challenged write-in votes will probably decide the election, and Miller's case isn't bad.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:49:37 PM by Matthew Carberry »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

stevelyn

• friend
Re: Miller v. Murkowski update
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:07:30 PM »
The standard should be what the letter of the law says it is.

If they can't follow the law or try to make exceptions to it because they don't like the result, why should the rest of us have respect for any law on the books?

Just another reason to not have any respect for the Spoiled Princess and her govt handout dependent camp followers.

My source of irritation has more to to do with Murkowski's conduct than it does political positions most of which I can actually live with.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:22:43 AM »
Just because of the sore loser nature of her write in bid I hope Miller take it.  He seems like a bit of an arrogant used-car salesman in a way, but I like his "return power to the state" message.

Had Murky been a grown up about it, made a fortune lobbying or whatever, and waited until 2014 to run againt Begich I'd have had a ton more respect for her.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 08:30:20 AM »
According to a news commentator I saw last night, Alaska's law requires that the name of a write-in candidate be written exactly as shown on the list of write-in candidates, but officials were going to use a "voter intent" strategy. So Murkowski = Merkowsky =Mercaoskee = M%r#0W@k1, etc. They even had one official (from the Murkowski camp, of course) saying that "Nobody should be disenfranchised because of their handwriting."

Miller sued to have the law apply as written, but a court threw that out. So it seems that the new standard isn't compliance with what the law actually says, but being sort of close to what lawmakers may have meant. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »
... and another election decided by people too frakking dumb to fill out a ballot properly.

Awesome.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:39 AM »
... and another election decided by people too frakking dumb to fill out a ballot properly.

Awesome.

We seem destined to be ruled by the lowest quintile of voters, intelligence-wise.

That sounds like a great case to keep out dumb *expletive deleted*ss non-English speaking immigrants who are illiterate in both English and their native tongue.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:38:37 AM »
It is possible that a voter intent strategy would be fairer - there are, after all, people medically incapable of spelling right.

That said, this isn't the law.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
The question isn't really about dumb people who can't spell.  The real question is why isn't the court following the law?  We are supposed to be a society of laws, ergo the playing field is level for all.  If you are too dumb to be able to spell, tough.  Last time I looked, 12 grades of school is free.  No excuse for not being able to read or write.  You can also ask for help at the polls.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »
So is it just politicians who don't have to follow laws that they don't like ?  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »
The Judge didn't throw it out, he refused to issue an injunction as the harm was not irreperable.

They punted until the results are in.  If it comes down to the contested ballots instead of a clear win for Murkowski then the Miller camp can decide to move forward.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 02:16:38 PM »
We sure don't want the obvious intent of the voters to rule the day if it means a win for a RINO.

Better our guy wins, to heck with the intent of the voters.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 02:18:51 PM »
Ron,

If we don't like the law as written, we should go to the trouble of changing it, not just pretend it means something it doesn't because we like that interpretation better.

Rule of law not rule of man.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »
Ron,

If we don't like the law as written, we should go to the trouble of changing it, not just pretend it means something it doesn't because we like that interpretation better.

Rule of law not rule of man.
As noted earlier in this thread:
Alaska's law requires that the name of a write-in candidate be written exactly as shown on the list of write-in candidates, but officials were going to use a "voter intent" strategy.
That is the law. How should it be changed? Add "...and we mean it."?  ???

Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »
If we the voters want "voter intent" to be considered we should change the text of the controlling statute to reference "voter intent" and define the standards for how that intent is to be judged.

Personally I think that if you want to vote for a write-in the burden is on you to learn to spell that person's name correctly and learn to print clearly in block letters.  Write a crib note and take it into the booth with you if necessary and simply copy it.

Not sure why we have to pander to the lazy or non-documentably medically incompetent.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »
Not sure why we have to pander to the lazy or non-documentably medically incompetent.

What about the documentally medically incompetent?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »
Personally I think that if you want to vote for a write-in the burden is on you to learn to spell that person's name correctly and learn to print clearly in block letters.  Write a crib note and take it into the booth with you if necessary and simply copy it.

Wurd.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
My parents were down here visiting from Eagle River this week (I'm a transplanted Alaskan) and my mother (being a staunch Lifelaong Democrat) and I got into several spirited discusions on this campaign.  There were so many news pundits with different ideas on what the law says that I had to break out my Google-Fu and look.

As such, I can say that:
Alaska's law requires that the name of a write-in candidate be written exactly as shown on the list of write-in candidates

No, It doesn't.

AK Statutes Sec 15.15.360 (10) says:

In order to vote for a write-in candidate, the voter must write in the candidate's name in the space provided and fill in the oval opposite the candidate's name in accordance with (1) of this subsection.

And that's all I can find on the subject. (for those interested (1) of that subsection covers what way's you can fill in the oval)

My mom swears up and down, but can't find, that there's a Division of Elections reg that mentions the term "Voter's Intent".  Apparently those regs have already hit the court once this election over whether or not there could be posted a list of approved write-in candidates. :shrug

As a guy that really has no dog in this race anymore, I read that law and note that it doesn't use the word "exactly" or mention an approved list of candidates.  And that's probably reasonable.  After all, Sen Murkowski's name is actually Lisa Ann Murkowski, and no-one expects that written in. Just as if some drunk dude from Tok scrawled "That one chick we already got" I wouldn't expect that to count.  There's got to be a middle ground.

I hate to drag that hard to find "Reasonable Person" over from all the SD shootings, but it seems to me in the abscense of either of the words "intent" or "exactly" in the statute that might be a good standard to apply. That would kinda be the court's role in government, wouldn't it?

Also, as someone with really bad handwriting, I'd hate to disenfranchise a voter because a poll worker couldn't make out every little cross and dot.  

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »
Also, as someone with really bad handwriting, I'd hate to disenfranchise a voter because a poll worker couldn't make out every little cross and dot. disenfranchisement would be my own durn fault.

Fixed that for you. Since my wife tends to show up late to everything, I would hate to disenfranchise those who show up to the polls five minutes after close.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 04:30:15 PM »
What about the documentally medically incompetent?

They should be in a home and their guardians should vote their proxy.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
Dogmush,

Scroll down to number (a)11 and then (b).

Alaska Stat. § 15.15.360

(a)(11) A vote for a write-in candidate, other than a write-in vote for governor and lieutenant governor, shall be counted if the oval is filled in for that candidate and if the name, as it appears on the write-in declaration of candidacy, of the candidate or the last name of the candidate is written in the space provided.

(b) The rules set out in this section are mandatory and there are no exceptions to them. A ballot may not be counted unless marked in compliance with these rules.

The statute is pretty clear that the name must be exactly as declared by the candidate and there isn't any wiggle room to interpret it more widely.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/akstatutes/15/15.15./15.15.360.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:51:30 PM by Matthew Carberry »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »
They should be in a home and their guardians should vote their proxy.

Think of dyslexics. There are people who are fully intellectually competent to understand the issues, and yet can't spell.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »
Dogmush,

Scroll down to number (a)11 and then (b).

The statute is pretty clear that the name must be exactly as registered by the candidate and there isn't any wiggle room to interpret it more widely.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/akstatutes/15/15.15./15.15.360.

I would think that there would be legal precedent for restrictions on things like exact spelling.  Invalidating someone's vote simply because they can't spell (or even write) would seem to fall under the purview of anti-discrimination law.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
Think of dyslexics. There are people who are fully intellectually competent to understand the issues, and yet can't spell.

Right, kept in a home, and if it's genetic, probably forbidden to breed.  =D

Seriously though, those would be among the people who should get consideration for misspelling since they can't even necessarily "monkey see, monkey do" off of a crib sheet.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »
I would think that there would be legal precedent for restrictions on things like exact spelling.  Invalidating someone's vote simply because they couldn't spell or even write would seem to fall under the purview of anti-discrimination law.

Brad

If the news is reporting correctly there are some "voter's intent" case law precedents but those didn't involve write-in ballots, just marks on scan-tron.

Since you aren't forbidden from cutting out an article in the paper with the name spelled correctly, or printing something online for free at the library, or having someone who can spell write the name for you, and carrying that crib note into the voting booth; I have a bit of a problem with the "but, but, spelling is hard" argument.  It's your vote dammit, people died so you could have it, put a little effort in or don't do it at all.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »
Since we're getting into voter intent, when I voted for McCain/Palin, I was actually voting for Palin/whoever-she-appoints-to-serve-out-the-VP-term  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin