Author Topic: Miller v. Murkowski update  (Read 10214 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Miller v. Murkowski update
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
If the news is reporting correctly there are some "voter's intent" case law precedents but those didn't involve write-in ballots, just marks on scan-tron.

Since you aren't forbidden from cutting out an article in the paper with the name spelled correctly, or printing something online for free at the library, or having someone who can spell write the name for you, and carrying that crib note into the voting booth; I have a bit of a problem with the "but, but, spelling is hard" argument.  It's your vote dammit, people died so you could have it, put a little effort in or don't do it at all.

Let me explain this:

My experience with heavily-dyslexic people is summed up by having gone to Basic Training with a young man who was, by all accounts, a prodigy (tested out at some abominably high IQ). But the IDF drafts everybody.  Even prodigies. Even peopl who cannot spell the word 'IDF' when surrounded by people wearing shirts with that acronym.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 07:24:38 PM »
Let me explain this:

My experience with heavily-dyslexic people is summed up by having gone to Basic Training with a young man who was, by all accounts, a prodigy (tested out at some abominably high IQ). But the IDF drafts everybody.  Even prodigies. Even peopl who cannot spell the word 'IDF' when surrounded by people wearing shirts with that acronym.

Let me explain myself.  I already said people with a documentable medical issue such as dyslexia should get some assistance.  

:-*
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:56:14 PM by Matthew Carberry »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »
Think of dyslexics. There are people who are fully intellectually competent to understand the issues, and yet can't spell.

Have them get a properly spelled out rubber stamp with the name ... that should be legal ... politicians LOVE rubber stamps -- they've been doing it for decades. [tinfoil] >:D ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
or the last name of the candidate is written in the space provided.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/11/AR2010111105971.html?nav=hcmoduletmv

i find it interesting that were the situation reversed here i believe millers folks would be shouting about the will of the people
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
or the last name of the candidate is written in the space provided.

The dyslexic folks could make an "X" and a certified poll watcher from each campaign could verify the name written by an able speller was the one requested.

I think you're right about whose ox is being gored reflecting on who's yelling what.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 10:30:55 PM »
on one contested ballot its being contested because the l is in cursive.....   i think miller has the chance to demonstrate that he represents grownups who deserve a seat at the table, or he and his followers can go all larouche on us. That decision will impact the tea party's future. we will know soon

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
on one contested ballot its being contested because the l is in cursive.....   i think miller has the chance to demonstrate that he represents grownups who deserve a seat at the table, or he and his followers can go all larouche on us. That decision will impact the tea party's future. we will know soon

Too late for any class at this point.

• friends
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 11:38:38 PM »
sadly true

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 02:16:17 AM »
Too late for any class at this point.

It was too late once these people have registered their campaigns with the FEC.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 07:12:40 AM »
The Dutch Harbor Fisherman (local paper) had peel-off stickers on the front page of the last issue of their rag that had the 'write in the name, fill in the oval' campaign slogan on it including the correct spelling of her name.

I couldn't tell you about the skAnchorage or Fairbanks papers, but the media up here is definitely singing her praises. 
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/11/AR2010111105971.html?nav=hcmoduletmv

i find it interesting that were the situation reversed here i believe millers folks would be shouting about the will of the people

I believe there's some contention about whether or not write-ins for Joe Miller should be counted too.  Technically speaking he's not on the list of write-in candidates and they shouldn't. 

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 10:14:10 AM »
I believe there's some contention about whether or not write-ins for Joe Miller should be counted too.  Technically speaking he's not on the list of write-in candidates and they shouldn't. 

Last I'd heard at least he'd only gotten 2 write in votes.  Kind of a moot point if that's all he gets from the write ins.  The chances of that vote coming down to those 2 swinging it to Murky are pretty remote.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
Last I'd heard at least he'd only gotten 2 write in votes.  Kind of a moot point if that's all he gets from the write ins.  The chances of that vote coming down to those 2 swinging it to Murky are pretty remote.

Who is Murky? Was it your intention to refer to Lisa Ann Murkowski?    :lol:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:32:23 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

• friends
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »
http://alaskadispatch.com/blogs/political-animal/7072-fact-checkers-examine-anti-murkowski-ads

is it that shes beating miller thats got you mad?  or that even with palins endorsment miller lost?  and that bodes poorly for the cause?

• friends

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »
Dogmush,

Scroll down to number (a)11 and then (b).

Alaska Stat. § 15.15.360

(a)(11) A vote for a write-in candidate, other than a write-in vote for governor and lieutenant governor, shall be counted if the oval is filled in for that candidate and if the name, as it appears on the write-in declaration of candidacy, of the candidate or the last name of the candidate is written in the space provided.

(b) The rules set out in this section are mandatory and there are no exceptions to them. A ballot may not be counted unless marked in compliance with these rules.

The statute is pretty clear that the name must be exactly as declared by the candidate and there isn't any wiggle room to interpret it more widely.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/akstatutes/15/15.15./15.15.360.

I bolded a different clause.  Notice the "or" at the beginning.  Writing the last name is sufficient, and it doesn't say anything about how much misspelling is allowed.

Miller had been challenging things like "Murkowski, Lisa", and ballots where the 'L' was cursive.

Both of 'em are sore losers, but Miller seems to also be a *expletive deleted*bag; that should disqualify him in my opinion.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
All I know is if Murkowski does not face serious consequences to her standing within the party after this stunt, it's time for conservatives to mount third party challenges.

Ignoring primary voters (the base) is a VERY bad idea for the party to encourage in any way. (And there may be serious consequences for the Republican leadership if they don't realize this.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 03:31:31 PM »
but it appears that the majority of folks wanted her.  are their votes discounted cause they didn't vote in the primary?  maybe miller needs to hear what they told him. he and his camp are not doing their cause any favors right now

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
but it appears that the majority of folks wanted her.  are their votes discounted cause they didn't vote in the primary?  maybe miller needs to hear what they told him. he and his camp are not doing their cause any favors right now

What she did was disgraceful and self-serving. For the Alaskan people to vote for pork as blantantly as they just did is sickening.

However, it appears she won. There should be consequences to her standing in the Senate, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
i think its all a matter of perspective.  the fact that she won as a write in speaks loudly. if it had gone the other way and miller had won as a write in some folks would be speaking about "the will of the people" and what a great moment it was.  what did miller or his camp do wrong? it was his to lose

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 12:44:48 PM »
Since she lost the primary, does this mean that more Dems voted for her than Repugs  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »
in this case the miller camp managed to convince enough folks that they didn't want him while the murkowski camp taught everyone to spell her name.

The "write in candidate" - presumably Murkowski - leads the field with 34 percent, according to the poll. McAdams is up 13 points and comes in at 29 percent, while Miller is down 8 points with 23 percent support.

1/2 way down page 2
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021092-503544.html

the fail begins

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »
I bolded a different clause.  Notice the "or" at the beginning.  Writing the last name is sufficient, and it doesn't say anything about how much misspelling is allowed.

Miller had been challenging things like "Murkowski, Lisa", and ballots where the 'L' was cursive.

Both of 'em are sore losers, but Miller seems to also be a *expletive deleted*bag; that should disqualify him in my opinion.

"... and if the name, as it appears on the write-in declaration of candidacy, of the candidate or the last name of the candidate..."  

The "as it appears on the write-in declaration" applies equally whether the person chooses to write the entire name or simply the last name.  Since all the text says is "as it appears..." there is no textual allowance for any misspelling at all.

For the statute to support poor/lazy spellers it would have to read "as it appears or a minor misspelling thereof..."

Since there is not yet any controlling case precedent or judicial ruling on that particular part of the election law; the "intent of the voters", as expressed by their freely elected legislators, should be respected and the text read exactly as written.  =D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:44:22 PM by Matthew Carberry »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »
Miller cost himself support. 

He won the primary not due to a real majority in even the republican side but in getting out the vote of the energized and offering an alternative to Murkowski's lingering negative "Daddy's Girl" image and moderation on some social issues.

He then didn't manage his own message and made some horrible personal and campaign decisions on top of it.  That cost him support from folks who voted for him in the primary as well as most of our massive number of "independents in practice regardless of declared affiliation".

He's still got potential votes coming in from absentee, early and questioned ballots but it will likely come down to the courts.