Author Topic: Wisconsin Senate orders arrest of Democrats who refuse attendance  (Read 10182 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Wisconsin Senate orders arrest of Democrats who refuse attendance
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »
Walker and the WI R's needs to give "The Fleeing 14" two drop dead dates. 

After #1) We're passing every onerous, hated and shove it up your tuchus sideways piece of legislation we can think of and some we haven't thought of, but we're asking Rush Limbaugh, Ron Paul, Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin for ideas and to help draft 'em.

After #2) We're asking a judge to declare your seats vacant and that the Governor will be empowered to appoint replacements. 

Suck it B*tches.

Don't need a judge for #2. WI Constitution Article 13 section 10 says the legislature can declare a seat vacant and how it's to be filled.

I really wish they would get off their @$$es. :mad:
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:19 PM »
Looks like WI senate republicans stripped all money out of the union legislation and passed the changes to collective bargaining.  Someone grew a spine.  Now we get to see the counter move.  [popcorn]
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
Looks like WI senate republicans stripped all money out of the union legislation and passed the changes to collective bargaining.  Someone grew a spine.  Now we get to see the counter move.  [popcorn]

Unless any of the recalls are successful, there isn't much of a counter-move really, except to try and flee the quorum for Walker's state budget, which will be an even nastier fight than this minor union flare up.

This whole thing wasn't about cuts or finances. It was about UNION POWER, the power to act as a de-facto quasi-.gov money laundering organization for the Democratic party.
I promise not to duck.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:53 PM »
Unions could amp up the rhetoric.  Or they could go all in stupid and increment violence.  Or they could get smart and realize they have just been deem irrelevant to the greater aspirations of unions.  Interesting position they put themselves in.  It will be interesting to see how they salvage any credibility.  It will also be interesting to see if the federales continue to stand on the sidelines.  I'm looking to AG Holder to ride to the rescue in some form or fashion.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 12:30:43 AM »
Or they could go all in stupid and increment violence.

I just read that protestors have locked themselves inside the capitol, using handcuffs to lock the doors, and that doors and windows have been broken.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »
I just read that protestors have locked themselves inside the capitol, using handcuffs to lock the doors, and that doors and windows have been broken.

Way to show everyone that the unions are worth the $$$, eh?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 01:11:35 AM »
Yep, they certainly are.  ;)
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 04:24:17 AM »
Walker and the WI R's needs to give "The Fleeing 14" two drop dead dates.

What they need in any legislative body is more real force behind compelling attendance: an actual criminal charge to be filed x days after the compulsion against any member who doesn't have a very good excuse (serious illness, impending death in immediate family, capture by Somali pirates, etc.) and a means to simply exclude all those so charged from the defined quorum for any action.  (i.e. quorum=original number - those actively resisting compelled attendance)

One of the biggest problems we have at almost all levels is that the most basic laws were written at a time when notifying someone or traveling to a meeting involved a fast horse or ship.  Those laws need to be updated to reflect modern times; we can communicate in realtime (give or take a few seconds) between any two places on Earth using equipment that most people have in their pockets.  Traveling across the country is easily accomplished in a few days by car or a few hours by plane.  There's no need for weeks of delay to give notice, or a month or more for simple action anymore.

CSM Kersh

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »
The WI Senate Republicans used Senate rules to get around the AWOL Ds and passed the union restrictions yesterday.  Seems that a quorum is needed only if a bill includes spending/money provisions.  The Rs stripped the bill of that and left only the items dealing with collective bargining and passed the revised bill.  You can read the whole deal HERE.

Madison — With Democrats still in Illinois, the state Senate abruptly voted Wednesday night to eliminate collective bargaining provisions for most public workers that have stood for decades, sending a flood of angry protesters into the Capitol.

Oh, and follow the link Joseph provides below.  Even the AWOL D Senators are crying "Foul!"
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:59:30 AM by CSM Kersh »
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
The WI Senate Republicans used Senate rules to get around the AWOL Ds and passed the union restrictions yesterday.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/10/unions-aim-disrupt-wisconsin-vote-today/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »
You know what, I want the left on full display here.

Pull a Nancy Pelosi and walk DIRECTLY THROUGH THE PROTESTORS with a massive gavel just like they did over Obamacare.

Let's see the "civility" out of the left. (I also suggest that the GOP members wear some body armor, though.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought