Author Topic: Why white working-class single moms should stay single  (Read 10213 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Why white working-class single moms should stay single
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

pleo

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
Wake up. The money is in running your own biz, without the risks and bs of a storefront.  Think "flophouse" rental, but it has to be bought right, run right, and be in the right part of town.  but if you know a vet who is single, no kids, and is sober/clean, you've got the basics, right there

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 09:59:05 PM »

I think the poem reproduced here expresses our current malaise, and its principal cause.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »
Wake up. The money is in running your own biz, without the risks and bs of a storefront.  Think "flophouse" rental, but it has to be bought right, run right, and be in the right part of town.  but if you know a vet who is single, no kids, and is sober/clean, you've got the basics, right there

I could park my wheelbarrow in the back yard, next to the doglet's house.  Life is good.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:56:43 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »
Wake up. The money is in running your own biz, without the risks and bs of a storefront.  Think "flophouse" rental, but it has to be bought right, run right, and be in the right part of town.  but if you know a vet who is single, no kids, and is sober/clean, you've got the basics, right there

Does the name John Melvin Davis mean anything to you Pleo?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:15:55 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »

Gun kid is that you?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
Had a pagan men's weekend last year, where the question "What defines a man in our society?" was a common theme

And honestly, there was no good answer.

What defines it now? Or what it should be?

I had this discussion with a close friend last night and my answers was "not an insect"
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 10:26:21 AM »
Thank you, Mr Heinlein ;)

Actually, the discussion kinda breaks down at "what is a man's role?". We used to have a defined purpose: to hunt, impregnate the females, and sacrifice our lives to protect the tribe. Isn't so clear-cut anymore...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »
Thank you, Mr Heinlein ;)

Actually, the discussion kinda breaks down at "what is a man's role?". We used to have a defined purpose: to hunt, impregnate the females, and sacrifice our lives to protect the tribe. Isn't so clear-cut anymore...

The expression "social norms" is out of favor in an environment where "normative" behavior is the devil, but we are seeing the chaos that arises in the absence of broadly understood and accepted gender/social roles. I'm not going all Archie Bunker for the good old days, but change is disruptive and sometimes painful. We're starting to see the bill for the social justice and diversity and "tolerance" (so named) roll out of the register. Sticker shock'll be a bitch, I'm thinking.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
Oh gods yes, apparently. Or at least in the wild. I'm not exactly handsome, sophisticated or romantic. But I'm not hideous, have employment, have a home, have a car, no drug habit and "domestic violence" isn't a hobby of mine. Back when I was dating, there were numerous women essentially putting in a resume for marriage. It was actually kinda creepy. While finding a person they loved was nice, it almost seemed like there was no need for positive aspects, only a lack of negative ones.

This was my experience as well.  The focus is so much on finding a guy that doesn't have the same faults as the last guy, that she doesn't even notice the qualities of the guy in front of her.

This as well. US is still manufacturing a lot of stuff. We manufacture approximately $2T worth of goods, which China only surpassed in 2009 and are now at $2.5T officially. We're just doing it with a lot less people. Automation is allowing us to make more stuff, cheaply. Which is great for the consumer, and stockholder. Problem is... The displaced labor isn't going anywhere productive.

A strong, commercial, space industry would provide an outlet for all that misdirected male energy.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Pb

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
I think the decay of sexual morality has been a contributor to this...

When women give romantic affection to rotten males, rather than responsible men, it reduces the rewards for being a responsible man... leading to more caddish behavior.

Unfortunately, a lot of women are sexual attracted to immature louts... and we have welfare to pay for the offspring.

Marriage rates between the upper and lower classes in the USA used to be quite similar... not any more.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
I think the decay of sexual morality has been a contributor to this...

When women give romantic affection to rotten males, rather than responsible men, it reduces the rewards for being a responsible man... leading to more caddish behavior.

Unfortunately, a lot of women are sexual attracted to immature louts... and we have welfare to pay for the offspring.

Marriage rates between the upper and lower classes in the USA used to be quite similar... not any more.

Related, there is a reason parental consent was required for courting and marrying daughters: young people (men and women) are terrible judges of character.

Having to impress an older family member before they would allow you to court his or her daughter additionally helped encourage men to mature faster. Want a wife? (And, of course, sex.) Act like a man.

This is yet another of the traditions we have rejected because "it's oppressive!" "It's degrading to women!" etc... All because one generation (and succeeding ones) decided that everything that came before it was about oppression and didn't dig any deeper into the reasoning for the traditions. (I also fault the parents of that generation for failing to teach the reasoning.)

Yes, it's insulting, as a teenager, to be told that you are inexperienced and your opinions are ignorant and uninformed. It's also true for the VAST MAJORITY of teenagers. (I'm talking 95% majority.)

Was that tradition perfect and only resulted in happy marriages? Of course not. Humans are not perfect. I will opine that it is a great deal better than the current "tradition".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
Related, there is a reason parental consent was required for courting and marrying daughters: young people (men and women) are terrible judges of character.

Having to impress an older family member before they would allow you to court his or her daughter additionally helped encourage men to mature faster. Want a wife? (And, of course, sex.) Act like a man.

This is yet another of the traditions we have rejected because "it's oppressive!" "It's degrading to women!" etc... All because one generation (and succeeding ones) decided that everything that came before it was about oppression and didn't dig any deeper into the reasoning for the traditions. (I also fault the parents of that generation for failing to teach the reasoning.)

Yes, it's insulting, as a teenager, to be told that you are inexperienced and your opinions are ignorant and uninformed. It's also true for the VAST MAJORITY of teenagers. (I'm talking 95% majority.)

Was that tradition perfect and only resulted in happy marriages? Of course not. Humans are not perfect. I will opine that it is a great deal better than the current "tradition".

This, plus eleventy.

My sister is and was exceptionally bright.  But intelligence is neither wisdom nor judgement.  Her taste in BFs during high school was just a cadvalcade of losers.  She eventually wised up.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
This, plus eleventy.

My sister is and was exceptionally bright.  But intelligence is neither wisdom nor judgement.  Her taste in BFs during high school was just a cadvalcade[/b] of losers.  She eventually wised up.

Nicely done, sir.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

brimic

• friends
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2014, 12:18:32 AM »
So essentially the take-away here from the article is that: "ZOMG! White women in the bottom half of the economic ladder are now starting to have the same poor odds of finding/keeping a suitable male partner that black women have had starting with LBJ's 'Great Society' in 1964."

Did I get that right?
That's exactly what I got out of it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
Had a pagan men's weekend last year, where the question "What defines a man in our society?" was a common theme

And honestly, there was no good answer.

The sanest answer I've seen, from a non-pagan perspective: the Masculine Mandate.  An hour's audio, content begins 7 or 8 minutes in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
Cause and Effect:  The extremist end of the Women's Liberation Movement and the resulting collapse of a culture, the Pussification of boy children, the resulting assault on accepting a certain amount of hard physical contact games and how to respond to bullies, the treating men as dolts in TV ads and shows and the Government as a daddy/husband.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw