Author Topic: Any new news on this? Waco biker shootings.  (Read 10230 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Any new news on this? Waco biker shootings.
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 12:39:50 AM »
Someone on another forum suggested that those may have been TAP LE bullets which sometimes have their date and lot number on the bullet itself.  If so, that would make it seem more likely that they came from the cops, yet presumably experienced Medical Examiners identified the bullets as "medium caliber" despite the chief's claim that his guys were using .223 rifles.

Weird.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »
Someone on another forum suggested that those may have been TAP LE bullets which sometimes have their date and lot number on the bullet itself.  If so, that would make it seem more likely that they came from the cops, yet presumably experienced Medical Examiners identified the bullets as "medium caliber" despite the chief's claim that his guys were using .223 rifles.

Weird.

On TV, the ME can tell the difference between 9mm, .38, and .357 just by glancing at the wound  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »
On TV, the ME can tell the difference between 9mm, .38, and .357 just by glancing at the wound  ;)

Don't forget the serial number of the weapon.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »
http://kdhnews.com/news/texas/attorneys-waco-shooting-detainees-could-be-legal-liability/article_0bed7304-08e1-11e5-894e-a7ed4c5d990b.html?mode=jqm

-Thanks daddy, sorry for late reply.

Umm...  Wow.  I can understand arresting 'everybody' immediately after the incident, but yeah, just hanging onto 'everybody' is a disaster in the making for them.

For example: "According to a Facebook post from Looney and Conrad P.C. in Hempstead, “Earlier today, detainees in the Jack Harwell Detention Center in Waco were told that in exchange for bond reductions, they must sign a document stating the Waco police ‘had the right to arrest the inmate and that he/she will not file a lawsuit against McLennan County and/or the city of Waco."

I would sign and then promptly use the signed document as legal evidence in the lawsuit. 

Another thought - Texas has a statute dictating payment for false imprisonment.  Does this apply to when you're tossed into jail, given an unreasonable bond, and eventually all charges dropped?  At the least it gives a very reasonable figure for any lawsuit.  At $50k/year for being in prison when actually innocent, that works out to $137/day for being falsely jailed.  Times a couple hundred people, that adds up quick when you figure it also probably costs them about $60/day just to keep them in jail.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
The no sue agreement story has been debunked. In this thread if i recall correctly. The law firm making the claim retracted it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »
Weird.

???
Is 5.56 no longer an "intermediate rifle cartridge"?

While it's caliber is nominally .22, a 60-75gr 5.56 slug is pretty obviously not a .22 bullet.  If I picked up a 75gr TAP projectile off the ground I would call it a "medium" size.  Bigger then rimfire, smaller then the .30's and .338's.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »
???
Is 5.56 no longer an "intermediate rifle cartridge"?

While it's caliber is nominally .22, a 60-75gr 5.56 slug is pretty obviously not a .22 bullet.  If I picked up a 75gr TAP projectile off the ground I would call it a "medium" size.  Bigger then rimfire, smaller then the .30's and .338's.
Who knows?  Maybe that explains it.  The way I was looking at it, if I were identifying a recovered bullet without first-hand knowledge of the cartridge it was fired from, and if I were describing its caliber measurement specifically, it would be done so relating to diameter of the bullet without regard to power, effectiveness or cartridge characteristics.  Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, though.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »
If I picked up a 75gr TAP projectile off the ground I would call it a "medium" size.  Bigger then rimfire,

Must be a really big bullet for a poodle shooter if it's bigger than rimfires.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »
I didn't think any LE agencies still used .45 Rimfire as their rifle round.

Anywho,  These recovered rounds were probably mushroomed and/or deformed in someway, therefore the ME doesn't have those nice clean perfect projo's like they have on the TV shows.   So if you don't know any better a 5.56 round may look "Medium" to the untrained eye.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »

Weird.

Interesting. I thought the ME was on crack when the report was talking about date codes on the bullets

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »
And run DNA matches in a matter of minutes - it's all computerized, you know.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 07:31:05 PM »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
I didn't think any LE agencies still used .45 Rimfire as their rifle round.

And therein lies the problem with LE these days; trading in proven tools for the latest toys.  Remember they used to settle most gunfights in three shots total when they carried revolvers.

Anywho,  These recovered rounds were probably mushroomed and/or deformed in someway, therefore the ME doesn't have those nice clean perfect projo's like they have on the TV shows.   So if you don't know any better a 5.56 round may look "Medium" to the untrained eye.

I've recovered a lot of rifle and pistol rounds from all sorts of stuff, ranging from dirt, cream cheese and bunnies to pigs, coyotes and cattle.  Unless the bullet completely fragmented beyond recognition, the base would pretty clearly narrow it down the caliber to at least within a tenth of an inch.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »
Could be and they did mention deformation, but:
1. There isn't much to a .223 projectile to start out with
2. Typically the base gives some indication of diameter
3. They were able to read letters and numbers from the bullets, so they couldn't have been totally messed up.