Author Topic: Obama says his uncle was one of the first Americans at Auschwitz  (Read 8898 times)

nico

• friend
found on arfcom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV1sxq8mqvA

If Bush had said something like this, the MSM would be all over it calling him an idiot.  Who wants to bet they'll either ignore this, or act like he just misspoke?

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Obama says his uncle was one of the first Americans at Auschwitz
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »
I wonder if he had to duck from sniper fire as he exited the jet carrying him there?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »
Obama's damage control people are now saying that he meant his great uncle, and that he confused Auschwitz with Ohrdruf.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:29:44 PM »
Dan Quayle misspells one word and he's the biggest idiot that ever walked the planet, and I won't even get into how the MSM has villified GWB as being dumber then dirt despite his BA from Yale and MBA from Harvard.

Here's another Obama-ism that I heard on Limbaugh's show today as I waited for new tires to be installed on the Mrs. Scoutmobile.

OBAMA:  On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in...in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong.

That's a real head scratcher.......

Here are some more:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2007/03/sweet_column_item_obamas_gaffe.html  (Yes, the Chicago Sun-Times, that impregnable bastion of the VRWC.... rolleyes

Lynn Sweet's column: Obama's gaffes start to pile up.
WASHINGTON -- Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign, 46 days old on Tuesday, has run into some speed bumps, created because of a series of missteps magnified because he is under microscopic scrutiny.

It's too early to say whether the gaffes slow Obama's momentum -- or if they become barricades, extracting a more significant price for the Illinois Democrat's White House bid. They are getting noticed.

Consider the items that have been accumulating since Obama announced on Feb. 10:

" Marking the anniversary of the March 1965 "Bloody Sunday" in Selma, Ala., Obama, speaking at a church, said his parents got together "because of what happened in Selma." Obama was born in 1961.

" Obama told Larry King on CNN -- asked about that anti-Hillary Rodham Clinton YouTube ad, a doctored version of a spot created for Apple computers -- "We don't have the technical capacity to create something like that."

Obama did not know what he was talking about. Any professional media consultant can manipulate images on video. Turns out the creator -- unmasked last week as a political operative who worked for a firm overseeing the technical side of Obama's Web site -- made it at home on a Mac.

" Obama, asked if homosexuality was immoral, in the wake of comments by Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Gen. Peter Pace, sidestepped the question. After pressure from gay groups, Obama issued a statement stating he did not agree with Pace "that homosexuality is immoral."

Cynicism is like terrorism?
" One of Obama's stump lines is that the biggest obstacle he fights is not any of his rivals, it is cynicism. He used a variation of it during a reception he hosted at a conference here sponsored by AIPAC, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. Displaying a tin ear, Obama said that one of the enemies is not "just terrorists" or "just Hezbollah" or "just Hamas" -- "it's also cynicism."

" The Tribune dug this up: Obama, in his memoir, Dreams of My Father, writes of a story in Life magazine that influenced him -- about a black man trying to bleach his skin white. No such article could be found in Life or Ebony.

Insider or outsider?
" Another Obama stump line -- he said it again Tuesday morning to the Communications Workers of America here -- is that "I've been long enough in Washington to know that Washington needs to change." He is running against Washington yet his campaign is populated with political professionals who are Washington insiders.

" Obama's embrace of some rhetoric used by rival John Edwards is getting attention. Edwards, in a 2003 speech made for his first presidential run said, "I've spent enough time in Washington to know how much we need to change Washington."

Bill Burton, an Obama spokesman, said in reaction to the Obama stumbles: "If there are people looking for a candidate running to be the darling of the Washington insider crowd, this campaign is not for them. We are encouraged by the growing, unflinching support of Americans who believe we can transform our country by changing our politics."

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MWZjY2YzZWVkMjdkMDEzMGQ0MjJkNTUyN2FkNmMzYTc=

All it takes is one gaffe to taint a Republican for life. The political establishment never let Dan Quayle live down his fateful misspelling of potatoe. The New York Times distorted and misreported the first President Bushs questions about new scanner technology at a grocers convention to brand him permanently as out of touch.

But what about Barack Obama? The guys a perpetual gaffe machine. Let us count the ways, large and small, that his tongue has betrayed him throughout the campaign:

Last May, he claimed that tornadoes in Kansas killed a whopping 10,000 people: In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died  an entire town destroyed. The actual death toll: 12.

Earlier this month in Oregon, he redrew the map of the United States: Over the last 15 months, weve traveled to every corner of the United States. Ive now been in 57 states? I think one left to go.

Last week, in front of a roaring Sioux Falls, S.D., audience, Obama exulted: Thank you, Sioux City. ... I said it wrong. Ive been in Iowa for too long. Im sorry.

Explaining last week why he was trailing Hillary Clinton in Kentucky, Obama again botched basic geography: Sen. Clinton, I think, is much better known, coming from a nearby state of Arkansas. So its not surprising that she would have an advantage in some of those states in the middle. On what map is Arkansas closer to Kentucky than Illinois?

Obama has as much trouble with numbers as he has with maps. Last March, on the anniversary of the Bloody Sunday march in Selma, Ala., he claimed his parents united as a direct result of the civil rights movement: There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Ala., because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born.

Obama was born in 1961. The Selma march took place in 1965. His spokesman, Bill Burton, later explained that Obama was speaking metaphorically about the civil-rights movement as a whole.

Earlier this month in Cape Girardeau, Mo., Obama showed off his knowledge of the war in Afghanistan by homing in on a lack of translators: We only have a certain number of them, and if they are all in Iraq, then its harder for us to use them in Afghanistan. The real reason its harder for us to use them in Afghanistan: Iraqis speak Arabic or Kurdish. The Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages.

Over the weekend in Oregon, Obama pleaded ignorance of the decades-old, multibillion-dollar massive Hanford nuclear-waste cleanup: Heres something that you will rarely hear from a politician, and that is that Im not familiar with the Hanford, uuuuhh, site, so I dont know exactly whats going on there. (Applause.) Now, having said that, I promise you Ill learn about it by the time I leave here on the ride back to the airport.

I assume on that ride, a staffer reminded him that hes voted on at least one defense-authorization bill that addressed the costs, schedules, and technical issues dealing with the nations most contaminated nuclear-waste site.

Last March, the Chicago Tribune reported this little-noticed nugget about a fake autobiographical detail in Obamas Dreams from My Father: Then, theres the copy of Life magazine that Obama presents as his racial awakening at age 9. In it, he wrote, was an article and two accompanying photographs of an African-American man physically and mentally scarred by his efforts to lighten his skin. In fact, the Life article and the photographs dont exist, say the magazines own historians.

And in perhaps the most seriously troubling set of gaffes of them all, Obama told a Portland crowd over the weekend that Iran doesnt pose a serious threat to us  cluelessly arguing that tiny countries with small defense budgets cant do us harm  and then promptly flip-flopped the next day, claiming, Ive made it clear for years that the threat from Iran is grave.

Barack Obama  promoted by the Left and the media as an all-knowing, articulate, transcendent Messiah  is a walking, talking gaffe machine. How many more passes does he get? How many more can we afford?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 05:07:27 AM »
Did he forget to mention that his uncle was Jewish?

Obama is the great beating heart of an America that never was.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:48:49 AM »
So if Obama started saying Nucular, would the media start saying it also just to make it seem normal?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
lies, damn lies, and Obama mythmaking
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:55:35 AM »
The thing about Obama is that he is, in essence, a storyteller, a mythmaker.  If it sounds good he will say it.  If his stories and myths were something we could all take strength from and live by, that would be a plus, but he is just part of the age of pap and bullcrap that is contemporary pop culture.  He thrives in the world of Oprah and The View.  This is what happens when you churn out morons and give them the vote.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

The Annoyed Man

Re: lies, damn lies, and Obama mythmaking
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45:51 AM »
The thing about Obama is that he is, in essence, a storyteller, a mythmaker.  If it sounds good he will say it.  If his stories and myths were something we could all take strength from and live by, that would be a plus, but he is just part of the age of pap and bullcrap that is contemporary pop culture.  He thrives in the world of Oprah and The View.  This is what happens when you churn out morons and give them the vote.

Touche. Are there any woods deep enough to hide me from the mob?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:45 AM »
Remember, Barack Hussein Obama is all about CHANGE . . . he can even CHANGE the past!

Yes He Can!

rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 08:24:01 AM »
Auschwitz was not liberated by American forces.

So unless Obama had a really long-lived uncle in the Russian Army.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: lies, damn lies, and Obama mythmaking
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »

Not only that, but he demonstrates his ignorance/stupidity on an almost daily basis and doesn't get called on it by the MSM.

A good storyteller weaves a tale that is plausable and believable.  What Obama is trying to do is what Bill Clinton is good at, the believable lie.  It's sad that so many of my fellow Americans "Hope for Change They Can Believe In" without know exactly what that Change will entail.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:54:58 AM »
http://annapuna.blogspot.com/2008/05/oopps-he-goofed-again.html

Oh wait a minute, talk about mis-spoke. If we are to believe this web-site the World War II Kansas Veterans Index, Charles W. Payne[there are two so take your pick] - Obama's great uncle we are talking about - both enlisted in the US Navy.

Sen. Obama still has some explaining to do.

Not sure if this is completely true until I can see other information backing it up.  Very amusing if true though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 01:24:23 PM »
Auschwitz was not liberated by American forces.

So unless Obama had a really long-lived uncle in the Russian Army.

I have no problem believing that he has strong family connections with the Soviet/Communist Army....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »
More than likely, he is just telling people what they want to hear and is just not used to getting called on it. 

This alone wouldn't bother me if there were not many other gaffes.  How smart is this guy?  He seems to have a week knowledge of history and about this country in general.  He seems to have a fairly weak knowledge of recent political history as well.  Neither of those are good qualities in a President. 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 01:54:08 PM »
Just as his "eloquence" has waned as he has been away from his teleprompter so his "brilliance" has waned as he has forayed into wider intellectual waters.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

nico

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »
I'm guessing he didn't really think his uncle liberated Auschwitz; just that "Auschwitz" sounded better than "a concentration camp" and "uncle" sounded better than "great uncle."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »
I'm guessing he didn't really think his uncle liberated Auschwitz; just that "Auschwitz" sounded better than "a concentration camp" and "uncle" sounded better than "great uncle."

And.........
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »
So he called his great uncle his uncle.

So EFFING what?

I called ALL of my great uncles... uncle, including Uncle Ralph, who was a surgeon in the Pacific during World War II, and Uncle Malvern, who was involved in every one of the 82nd Airborn's significant combat operation during the war.

I also called my great aunt Mary Aunt Mary, and she was a nurse on the Hospital Ship Solace during the war.

I even called my great grandmother... Grandma.

People spend far too much time focusing on the most retarded things.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »
Because people are scared to debate the actual issues.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

agricola

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 01:28:49 AM »
So he called his great uncle his uncle.

So EFFING what?

I called ALL of my great uncles... uncle, including Uncle Ralph, who was a surgeon in the Pacific during World War II, and Uncle Malvern, who was involved in every one of the 82nd Airborn's significant combat operation during the war.

I also called my great aunt Mary Aunt Mary, and she was a nurse on the Hospital Ship Solace during the war.

I even called my great grandmother... Grandma.

People spend far too much time focusing on the most retarded things.

True, but if you ran for political office and used your Aunt Mary's time on the Bismarck to demonstrate a political point, surely its not wrong to suggest that you might have made that bit up?
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 03:13:16 AM »
"True, but if you ran for political office and used your Aunt Mary's time on the Bismarck to demonstrate a political point, surely its not wrong to suggest that you might have made that bit up?"

To say he fabricated it? Yes, that is wrong. He didn't fabricate the basic facts. One rather simple statement can have multiple sets of facts associated with it. Getting two supporting facts incorrect, which Obama did in this case, doesn't poison the entire statement or make the whole thing false.

He neglected to say it was his great uncle. BFD. The man in question is his titurally his uncle. The man's EXACT genealogical pecking order isn't important. 

He also got the name of the camp wrong. Another BFD. Auschwitz is the camp that is most in people's minds. Ask 100 random people to name a concentration camp, and I'd bet better than 90% of them say Auschwitz.

As I said, this is much BS ado about nothing. The basic facts are correct, and people are grasping at any straw they can right now to discredit the man.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 03:31:47 AM »
Considering the source and the fact that it was on Memorial Day, it wouldn't surprise me if he was full of crap.  It's the anti-military version of, "Some of my best friends are black."
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 04:49:48 AM »
I don't care about the uncle/great uncle part.  I don't think anyone did that I have noticed outside the forums.  What people are highlighting is that he said his relative helped liberate a concentration camp that was liberated by the Red Army.  I heard that he had it on his web site at one time where two camps were listed and both were liberated by the Red Army.  It underscores the fact that he is an empty suit telling people what they want to hear, and don't worry if the facts aren't quite right, he means well.

I think there was a retraction issued that said he meant to say a couple of camps that were liberated by US forces.  I bet they had to hire someone who knew enough about history to figure out which ones to name. 

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 06:10:45 AM »
I couldn't care less whether he said "uncle" or "great uncle" or "grammy" of whatever. Although, if a relative of mine had actually been involve in liberating a concentration camp, I'd like to think I might actually know the name of the camp, if it had actually happened, especially if I were going to use the story while running for president.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

agricola

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 08:43:20 AM »
I couldn't care less whether he said "uncle" or "great uncle" or "grammy" of whatever. Although, if a relative of mine had actually been involve in liberating a concentration camp, I'd like to think I might actually know the name of the camp, if it had actually happened, especially if I were going to use the story while running for president.

Exactly.  Does anyone else misstate such an (apparently) important piece of family history?

He used this story in his presidential campaign, and so it is open (as it should be) to the most rigorous examination.  I also note WND (admittedly not the most reliable of sources) are pointing out that his statements about his grandfather in his speech are not consistent with army documents or statements in his own autobiography. 

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=65577

Obama runs for office, and mentions the deeds of his forefathers as a reason why people should vote for him - he must expect people to question and verify his statements.  Its the same as when he demanded people should lay off his wife - I am sure they would, if only she wasnt making political speeches and statements on his behalf. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"