Author Topic: CA Eminent Domain Propositions  (Read 1690 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CA Eminent Domain Propositions
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:38:13 AM »
So I just did my mail-in ballot, and did some studying on Props 98 and 99, which both claim to offer protection from eminent domain. I went with Prop 98. Surprisingly for CA, it actually seemed to fairly address limiting eminent domain, and also has a clause to slowly reduce rent control (which put the San Fran area all in a fit). What shouldn't be a shocker is my "Republican" Governor went with Prop 99:

Schwarzenegger announces opposition to 98

In late April, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger announced his opposition to Prop. 98, saying, "Eminent domain is an issue worth addressing. However, Proposition 98 would undermine California's ability to improve our infrastructure, including our water delivery and storage." Jon Coupal of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association says that Schwarzenegger's concern that Prop. 98 will impact public infrastructure is based on a flawed legal analysis, because Prop. 98 doesn't prevent units of government from seizing private property when the property will be used for public projects. U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat, and former Gov. Pete Wilson, a Republican, have also announced their opposition to Prop. 98. The California Republican Party has endorsed Prop. 98

http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=California_Proposition_98_versus_California_Proposition_99_%282008%29
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
Re: CA Eminent Domain Propositions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:51:22 AM »
It's hard to improve your infrastructure when your real priorities are subsidizing illegal aliens and educating Mexico.  That's where the monies are going, on all levels of spending in this state.  Meanwhile, Schwarzenegger spends like a drunken predator and tries to borrow his way to solvency.

It's a cruel joke that will end in state bankruptcy down the line.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
Re: CA Eminent Domain Propositions
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:08:29 AM »
It's hard to improve your infrastructure when your real priorities are subsidizing illegal aliens and educating Mexico.  That's where the monies are going, on all levels of spending in this state.  Meanwhile, Schwarzenegger spends like a drunken predator and tries to borrow his way to solvency.

It's a cruel joke that will end in state bankruptcy down the line.
Profligate spending, massive borrowing, and support for illegals? Sounds like Arnold has a lot in common with George (or is it "Jorge?") W. Bush.

What worries me about state bankruptcy in California is that with Ms. Pelosi being Speaker of the House, the rest of us are likely to end up bailing them out with Federal funds . . .  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain