Author Topic: Oh, Canada...A preview of life under Obama and Dem congress, for gun owners.  (Read 9748 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
I can so easily see Obama saying this, and all the Obamanics nodding right along...

Miller wants shooting ranges shut down  TheStar.com - GTA - Miller wants shooting ranges shut down
May 27, 2008
John Spears
Robert Benzie
Staff Reporters

Mayor David Miller wants to close recreational shooting ranges in Toronto, along with giving the city power to block gun manufacturers and wholesalers from opening new plants or warehouses.

"Nobody can deny that hobby directly results in people being shot and killed on the streets of our city," Miller said of sport shooting yesterday, amid debate on a possible gun bylaw.

Canadian Olympic pistol shooter and downtown resident Avianna Chao begs to differ. She says that if Miller gets his way, it could mean an end to her sport  and it won't make the streets one bit safer.

Miller wants to terminate leases with two gun clubs that have shooting ranges on city property, one at Union Station, the other at Don Montgomery community centre.

Chao, who will head to Beijing this summer to compete for Canada at the Olympics, began shooting at Don Montgomery and now trains primarily at the Union range.

"When I heard about this city proposal today it just absolutely knocked the wind out of me," Chao said yesterday.

The gun debate erupted on a day when provincial Attorney General Chris Bentley and Community Safety Minister Rick Bartolucci were writing to their federal counterparts, seeking co-operation on curbing firearm violence.

"As you know, the people of Ontario continue to have serious concerns about the threat posed by guns and gun-related crime in our communities, particularly on the streets of downtown Toronto," Bentley and Bartolucci wrote in a five-page letter to federal Attorney General Rob Nicholson and Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day.

They asked for a three-point plan to limit gun violence by:

* Making sure federal firearms marking regulations are stringently followed so guns can be traced.
    * Appointing federal prosecutors to Ontario's guns and gangs task force.
    * Closing legal loopholes that let gun parts be brought into Canada.

At the same time, city staff released a report calling for a bylaw that would allow the city to restrict or prohibit the making and wholesaling of firearms in Toronto.

Only police and the military should be allowed to operate firing ranges, the report says, calling for an end to the gun club leases.

Recommendations would apply to all firearms, including rifles and shotguns. But in a scrum with reporters, Miller directed most of his comments toward handguns.

"After John O'Keefe's tragic killing, I don't think there's any defence for sports shooters any more," Miller said, referring to the man shot in January by a stray bullet. The gun was legally owned by the man charged in the killing.

"It's a hobby that creates danger to others. Guns are stolen routinely from so-called legal owners. It's time that we got those guns out of Toronto," he said.

"Do we as a society value safety, or do we value a hobby that creates danger?" he asked. "Nobody can deny that hobby directly results in people being shot and killed on the streets of our city. Those are the facts. And they're provable again and again and again."

Existing makers and wholesalers of firearms would not be affected by any new bylaw. Nor would retailers, as they're governed by federal law. The staff report says as many as 40 per cent of handguns seized by Toronto police were legally purchased but stolen from their owners.

But Chao said shutting down shooting ranges and banning manufacturers has nothing to do with safety. "Gang members don't visit these (shooting) clubs," she said.

"You have to show your licence and all the paperwork. This has nothing to do with gang violence."

Her own guns are safely stored and locked, she said. She's never had a gun stolen. "Anyone should be able to see through this," she said, "that this is the politicians just trying to say they did something, even though it will have no impact on actual gun violence. ... Why don't they go after the gangs? Why don't they go after the illegal trafficking of firearms?"

Chao said Canadian shooters are already handicapped compared with competitors because other countries let shooters train full time. If ranges are shut down, she said, "I don't know how we're expected to compete internationally."

Steven Spinney, firearms safety officer for the Scarborough Rifle Club, was also stunned by the news.

"It doesn't make any sense to be zeroing in on a gun club," he said. "We're an Olympic sport ... I'm not sure how shutting us down would help to cut the gun crime."

Participants are required to take a safety course and the club uses only single-shot rifles.

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/431333

MicroBalrog

• friend
Remember, there is no oppression.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
Nobody can deny that hobby directly results in people being shot and killed on the streets of our city

No shortage of wannabe tyrants, I guess.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
Well, if we let it happen it will be our fault.  I just don't see Americans rolling over and turning into Canadians.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Ummm, this has already happened in Obama's Chicago.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Well, if we let it happen it will be our fault.  I just don't see Americans rolling over and turning into Canadians.

During the Revolutionary war, the British printed up little pledge forms for people to sign if they wanted to renounce that silly independence stuff and swear allegiance to the King.

In New Jersey, they ran out of forms.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend

During the Revolutionary war, the British printed up little pledge forms for people to sign if they wanted to renounce that silly independence stuff and swear allegiance to the King.

In New Jersey, they ran out of forms.

Well, nothing much has changed in Joisey to this date. You're not even allowed to pump your own gas there.

longeyes

• friend

Well, we all know how many sheep there are.  I'm just saying we must never resign ourselves to the "inevitable." 

As for the example of Chicago, perhaps are we are just going to relive the age-old city/country dichotomy.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim

Well, we all know how many sheep there are.  I'm just saying we must never resign ourselves to the "inevitable." 

As for the example of Chicago, perhaps are we are just going to relive the age-old city/country dichotomy.

I'm wondering if this gun rights battle might lead to another secession? The more rural conservative states decide to drop out of the Union?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Annoyed Man

You couldn't be more wrong. Once the statists got control of the education system it was all a downhill ride for them. The gun culture is DYING in America.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Once the statists got control of the education system it was all a downhill ride for them.

Indeed. The question's not whether, but how soon.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

The Annoyed Man

Once the statists got control of the education system it was all a downhill ride for them.

I'll fight them as long as I can and flee when I lose hope.

Manedwolf

• friend

To where?

The Annoyed Man

To where?

I have a couple destinations including Costa Rica or Tasmania in mind.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
1.  Confiscate and redistribute wealth in a manner that keeps the majority of the citizens placated.  Check!
2.  Disarm the populace and ensure that only the state has weapons.  Check!
3.  Use advantage of weaponry to instill order.  Check!

Let's see...  According to Jared Diamond, seems like Canada is only one step (No. 4 Having an official religion that legitimizes the government) away from a full-blown kleptocracy.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

The Annoyed Man

1.  Confiscate and redistribute wealth in a manner that keeps the majority of the citizens placated.  Check!
2.  Disarm the populace and ensure that only the state has weapons.  Check!
3.  Use advantage of weaponry to instill order.  Check!

Let's see...  According to Jared Diamond, seems like Canada is only one step (No. 4 Having an official religion that legitimizes the government) away from a full-blown kleptocracy.

Unfortunately it is Canadians own good nature that has led to this. They bend over backwards to be nice, never complain and have ended up giving away the country. (I'm a Canadian, I should know).

Manedwolf

• friend

To where?

Tasmania is under Australia's laws, isn't it? That's where the 1996 massacre was that inspired them to take all guns away from people who didn't do it.

And Costa Rica? Handguns are all registered, and all "weapons of war" are absolutely illegal. That means no AK, no AR, no anything.

There is no other place. The US is the last stand.

The Annoyed Man

That's pretty much how I feel - last stand for freedom. If I have to flee things will be very bad indeed and I'll probably be an outlaw no matter where I go - I want to work within the system as long as possible, but I reserve the right to do whatever I feel is necessary in defense of my own life and freedom.

To where?

Tasmania is under Australia's laws, isn't it? That's where the 1996 massacre was that inspired them to take all guns away from people who didn't do it.

And Costa Rica? Handguns are all registered, and all "weapons of war" are absolutely illegal. That means no AK, no AR, no anything.

There is no other place. The US is the last stand.

The Annoyed Man

Don't forget to put Brazil on the list of places you might want to evacuate to.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Mane, but I get those spam e-mails about buying land in Costa Rica. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend

Um. Have you researched these countries?

Brazil: Since 1936 all firearms must be registered. No handguns with
ammunition more powerfull than .38 Special (9mm Short for pistols)
are allowed for civilians. Rifles and carbines are only allowed if they
fire handgun ammunition (the only center fire rifle cartridge allowed
is the vintage .44-40 WCF).
No center fire semi-automatic long gun (rifled or smooth bore) is
permited. Black powder muzzle loading guns are considered
firearms like any other and subject to the same rules.
A Brazilian citizen must not have, at any given time, more than two
handguns, two rifled long guns and two shotguns. Only shooters or
collectors registered within the Brazilian Army may have more guns
than this figures.
Citizens are not allowed to buy more than one gun per year.
Reloading is permited only for shooters belonging to a shooting
club and reloadind supplies are strictly controlled by the Brazilian
Army. Only trough the club is possible to buy reloading supplies.
If one is caught with a gun without a permit, it doesn't matter if it
was being carried or just transported (a registered gun unloaded
and locked inside a box, for instance) - it is a crime and one can
face two years in jail for that (four years if it was a forbidden gun).

The US, again, is the last stand.

The Annoyed Man

Um. Have you researched these countries?

Brazil: Since 1936 all firearms must be registered. No handguns with
ammunition more powerfull than .38 Special (9mm Short for pistols)
are allowed for civilians. Rifles and carbines are only allowed if they
fire handgun ammunition (the only center fire rifle cartridge allowed
is the vintage .44-40 WCF).
No center fire semi-automatic long gun (rifled or smooth bore) is
permited. Black powder muzzle loading guns are considered
firearms like any other and subject to the same rules.
A Brazilian citizen must not have, at any given time, more than two
handguns, two rifled long guns and two shotguns. Only shooters or
collectors registered within the Brazilian Army may have more guns
than this figures.
Citizens are not allowed to buy more than one gun per year.
Reloading is permited only for shooters belonging to a shooting
club and reloadind supplies are strictly controlled by the Brazilian
Army. Only trough the club is possible to buy reloading supplies.
If one is caught with a gun without a permit, it doesn't matter if it
was being carried or just transported (a registered gun unloaded
and locked inside a box, for instance) - it is a crime and one can
face two years in jail for that (four years if it was a forbidden gun).

The US, again, is the last stand.

I was thinking about how easy it is to pass bribes in Brazil. And the country voted 65% in favor of not banning handguns fairly recently.

longeyes

• friend
And if America becomes rife with warlords, guns might become more popular, not less.

Of course, there's a difference between what's legally ownable and what people actually have.  Anyway...
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

The Annoyed Man

And if America becomes rife with warlords, guns might become more popular, not less.

Of course, there's a difference between what's legally ownable and what people actually have.  Anyway...

America is rife with warlords - we call them members of Congress.

HankB

• friend
I grew up in Chicago before the advent of B. Hussein Obama. I have reason to believe that the gun laws in Daleyville are widely - widely! - ignored by otherwise law-abiding people.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain