Author Topic: McCain vs. Obama and negative ads  (Read 2332 times)

mek42

McCain vs. Obama and negative ads
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:04:25 PM »
I recently heard a news blurb where Obama told donors that he was not going to have anything to do with them if they also donated to attack style 527's, and wanted to run a non-negative respectful campaign (I heard this while driving, please correct me if I'm not properly understanding something here), while McCain was more wishy-washy on the subject, saying that he wasn't ruling out negative ads preemptively.

If the big race ends up being McCain and Obama, do you think there will be a great deal of negative ads?  Which side do you think will release the hounds (of attack ads) first and which side the most?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: McCain vs. Obama and negative ads
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »

If the big race ends up being McCain and Obama, do you think there will be a great deal of negative ads?

I certainly hope so.  We're not playing the game of "negative ads are bad," are we?  Please?   sad
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:27:28 AM »
Every election you get some politician claiming they aren't going to go negative but, usually they eventually do when the campaign starts flailing a bit.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:13:28 AM »
What is wrong with negative ads?  As long as we can't trust the MSM to actually report the complete facts on both candidates, why wouldn't you want candidates to be able to put out ads of all types? 

Also, remember that Obama may not put out negative ads personally, but there are lots of liberal organizations who would be happy to do it for him so he can smugly declare he wouldn't do such a thing. 

Also, who exactly is the judge of what ads are negative or not? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
Truth is truth.  I don't think lying to win is honorable but I see no problem with presenting as many aspects of the true as possible, not matter how uncomfortable they make the other candidate feel.

If McCain prefers to be an "honorable" loser and won't touch anything sensitive, he should step down from the nomination. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:01:55 AM »
Stop it right now.  This is a worthless discussion until we clear up the definition of "negative ad". 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 05:46:42 AM »
I think we are talking about the alleged "guilt by association" ads.  Obama is the "community" organizer who apparently thinks the "community" around him doesn't really matter.

I think the rest of us know differently.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.