Author Topic: Illinois HB182 and HB3714 waiting for signature  (Read 1791 times)

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Illinois HB182 and HB3714 waiting for signature
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »
Believe it or not, in Illinois right now, it is a FELONY for you to go shooting at a buddy's farm. Not for him, but for you. Its also a FELONY to handle a loaded firearm at a buddy's home, or even to handle it unloaded if there is ammunition nearby. HB182 fixes this bizarre inequity in the law.

HB3714 removes the revocation of the FOID card for minor non-violent offenses where probation is the sentence.

Both bills recently passed both houses of the state legislature by wide margins, and is sitting on the governor's desk waiting for a signature.

If you are an Illinois citizen it is time to let the governor know how you feel about these bills.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

HankB

• friend
Re: Illinois HB182 and HB3714 waiting for signature
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:47:54 AM »
. . . Its also a FELONY to handle a loaded firearm at a buddy's home, or even to handle it unloaded if there is ammunition nearby.
I grew up in Chicago . . . if this is the case, a lot of the people I grew up with and went hunting and shooting with were unwitting felons. (Of course, I never did such a thing . . . that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :angel: )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35:44 AM »
I grew up in Chicago . . . if this is the case, a lot of the people I grew up with and went hunting and shooting with were unwitting felons. (Of course, I never did such a thing . . . that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :angel: )
A lot of people assumed that aggravated UUW was basically the same thing as UUW with additional penalties for aggravating circumstances. It turns out the law is not written that way. My guess is it was unintentional, but at least one person was convicted on felony UUW for having a loaded gun on premises where he had permission to be and apparently had permission to have the gun from the home owner.

There is a hunting exception IIRC, but not one for casual target shooting.

I think just about anyone that owns a gun in Illinois has unwittingly committed an act that could have been charged as felony UUW.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
A lot of people assumed that aggravated UUW was basically the same thing as UUW with additional penalties for aggravating circumstances. It turns out the law is not written that way. My guess is it was unintentional, but at least one person was convicted on felony UUW for having a loaded gun on premises where he had permission to be and apparently had permission to have the gun from the home owner.

There is a hunting exception IIRC, but not one for casual target shooting.

I think just about anyone that owns a gun in Illinois has unwittingly committed an act that could have been charged as felony UUW.

What the HECK is UUW?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:51:19 PM »
UUW=unlawful use of weapon.

includes various firearms and other weapons related charges.
bob