Author Topic: Fraking other drivers!  (Read 850 times)

dogmush

• friend
Fraking other drivers!
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
Rant:

I just got a series of texts at work that my wife was involved in a 4 car pile up on the way to work.  She was car #2, stopped at the light when Car #4 hit Car #3 and pushed it into her Mazda.  It's the second time she's been rear ended on the same road in that car.  People driving too fast and being stupid.

She's fine, but the Mazda is pretty banged up.  Probably not totaled, but I'll bet it's $6k in damage. 

And to top it off, the driver that started the collision failed a sobriety test at the scene and was arrested.  At 0720 on a Thursday.  For *expletive deleted*s Sake.

/Rant

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Fraking other drivers!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:28:48 AM »
Glad that she wasn't hurt.

I had a car nearly merge into the side of my car this morning...

At 70 mph.

So yeah on the stupid thing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
And to top it off, the driver that started the collision failed a sobriety test at the scene and was arrested.  At 0720 on a Thursday.  For *expletive deleted*s Sake

I'd bet good money that if you were able to do a bit of digging the at fault driver has more than one DUI/DWI under their belt.

People lose their *expletive deleted*it if someone gets shot but BYGAWD we got to have our cars!!!1!!!11
Nearly everyday we hear about some uninsured/unlicensed drivers pulling a hit and run, or someone getting busted for their 3rd-4th-8th... DUI.
We need to start letting people learn how to walk or ride a bicycle instead of driving a car after they have proven on multiple times that they aren't responsible enough to get behind the wheel. I figure up to a point everybody is entitled to one screw up so long as no one gets injured or killed but maybe a 3 strikes and your out should be implemented.
3rd time DUI/no license/no insurance the vehicle is forfeit.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
The accident sucks, but I'm glad your wife is okay.

FL drivers sound like CA drivers. Since I've been taking all these trips to Idaho, I've been seeing a huge difference between driving styles. Outside of Boise, driving in ID is a low blood pressure experience. People all seem to give plenty of space, no one seems to get angry, people generally drive around the speed limit and are courteous.

Every time I head back to CA, I can feel my blood pressure go up with tailgaters at 70mph, no one wanting to give an inch for lane changes, and something I just started noticing in the last couple of years: semi drivers that can't stay in their lanes. I used to be very impressed with semi drivers who could handle narrow, crowded, CA highway lanes. They must be desperate for drivers these days, because I see a lot more crappy semi drivers. Makes me look forward to autonomous semis.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
Even here we have our share of aholes masquerading as drivers.
I was one a twisty 2-lane state highway last night, limit was 55, I was driving 55. Some dooshnozzel came up behind me and got on my bumper with his high beams on, rode my bumper for 4-5 miles till he took a chance and passed me on a double yellow. I think I was probably wrong to almost kind of wish I would drive up on him piled up in the ditch a little further on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 05:58:55 AM »
Update: the driver that caused it gave a fake name and insurance info to the cops.

Had she not been arrested, she likely would never have been seen again.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:14:33 AM »
Dollars to donuts she'll be back behind the wheel in a week.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 06:30:48 AM »
No bet. The wife pulled her arrest record once she figured out the woman's name.  This wasn't her first time afoul of the law.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
No bet. The wife pulled her arrest record once she figured out the woman's name.  This wasn't her first time afoul of the law.

Surprahz, surprahz, surprahz! [/Gomer Pyle voice]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »
Update: the driver that caused it gave a fake name and insurance info to the cops.

Had she not been arrested, she likely would never have been seen again.

More reason to call the cops even for a fender bender.  One of things I hate is that people lie lie lie when it comes to money.  At an accident scene, they are all apologetic and then a week later..... your insurance company is involved and they say it's your fault.

Many 18 wheelers are on governors now and they move out to pass often another truck going 1 mph slower than they are.  They hold up all the cars behind them.  People might say, hey, they're only doing the speed limit.... but the realty is that cars are generally moving a little faster than the actual speed limit (at least 5 mph).  Add in a lot of traffic and you may be held up for 10-15 miles until the truck finally decides to move over to the right lane.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »

Many 18 wheelers are on governors now and they move out to pass often another truck going 1 mph slower than they are.  They hold up all the cars behind them.  People might say, hey, they're only doing the speed limit.... but the realty is that cars are generally moving a little faster than the actual speed limit (at least 5 mph).  Add in a lot of traffic and you may be held up for 10-15 miles until the truck finally decides to move over to the right lane.

That is one of my many pet peeves.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »
Even here we have our share of aholes masquerading as drivers.
I was one a twisty 2-lane state highway last night, limit was 55, I was driving 55. Some dooshnozzel came up behind me and got on my bumper with his high beams on, rode my bumper for 4-5 miles till he took a chance and passed me on a double yellow. I think I was probably wrong to almost kind of wish I would drive up on him piled up in the ditch a little further on.

I used to have a lot of fun with those when I had the Subaru wagon.  About 90% of them are high school kids in a jacked up truck, and convinced they have to pass the wagon no matter how fast it happens to be going.  They start tailgating, I start slowly picking up speed until I manage to lead them into a ~45mph recommended speed curve at 75-90mph.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:41:45 PM »
Truckers today don't have a relaxing job.  Many have cameras inside their trucks.  They have a gps transmitter and the trucking company knows how fast they are going, whether they're smoking, their location, and so forth.  It's no wonder that they do this passing nonsense.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 09:55:02 PM »
And to top it off, the driver that started the collision failed a sobriety test at the scene and was arrested.  At 0720 on a Thursday.  For *expletive deleted*s Sake.

/Rant

Drinking the whole night through.  

We lost a couple cars* that way, years back, parked along the street.  Drunken driver plowed into them 6-ish in the morning.

*2 separate occasions.  Once lost two cars, once one.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 10:27:59 PM »
We lost a couple cars* that way, years back, parked along the street.  Drunken driver plowed into them 6-ish in the morning.

A friend lost an early-80s 1-ton truck that way.  To a Kia.  In the back part of a quiet residential neighborhood.

Totaled the truck and shoved it several feet into her yard just as she was getting ready to leave for work.  If it hadn't been in gear it likely would have hit her van if not her, since part of the other car's hood sheared the parking brake cable off under the bed.  Unfortunately the driver somehow survived.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
A friend lost an early-80s 1-ton truck that way.  To a Kia.  In the back part of a quiet residential neighborhood.

Totaled the truck and shoved it several feet into her yard just as she was getting ready to leave for work.  If it hadn't been in gear it likely would have hit her van if not her, since part of the other car's hood sheared the parking brake cable off under the bed.  Unfortunately the driver somehow survived.

First time some guy plowed into my daughter's Honda, and pushed it forward enough to damage my oldest son's car enough to total it too.  Somehow my daughter's $1800 violin in it's case, on the floor of the car, came out unscathed.

Second time the driver smashed up the trunk of our '89 Caprice.  The cops told me she (the driver) backed out of it, and went on down the street and ended up taking out another car. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.