Author Topic: Paging Fly320s  (Read 1833 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Paging Fly320s
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:48:57 AM »
I hope you have your retirement portfolio in good shape:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/08/07/computer-speaking-now-cruising-580mph-altitude-36000ft/

I hope I never have to fly commercial ever again, mostly due to the incredible shrinking seat pitch issue but, if I do, I want a pilot up front. Preferably two.

Look at the Miracle on the Hudson. Could Sully have successfully ditched that plane in the river if he had been flying it by remote control from Philadelphia or Boston? Would a computer have been able to do it if there had been no live pilots on board?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: Paging Fly320s
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:07:56 AM »
Meh.

It seems like most of the time the pilots are up there surfing internet forums.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:23:44 AM »
Meh.

You're wrong, but I don't have time to prove it right now.  After I land I'll prove it.   =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:31:15 AM »
As to pilot-less planes, I can see it happening, but not for at least 20 years.  Probably closer to 40.  That is mainly do to limitations on the aircraft, not the computers.

Sure, computers can do the job more accurately, more efficiently, and probably safer overall, but the computers lack the ability to reason, see outside and judge the environment, anticipate rapidly changing events, and most importantly, they lack the ability to think outside their programming.

We've all seen the videos of computers playing chess, or catching a ball, or driving a car.  Those a simple tasks compared to the complexity of flying a plane through bad weather.  Computers are better than humans at many things, but they can not replace expert judgement learned after many years of experience.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »
Meh.

Just now the first three non-stickies in this sub-forum are threads begging for his opinion. It looks like he could use some automation up there, while he answers all of our questions.

If this keeps up, we'll have to pay him a consulting fee.

Hey, Fly, how is babby formed?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:12:14 AM »

Just now the first three non-stickies in this sub-forum are threads begging for his opinion. It looks like he could use some automation up there, while he answers all of our questions.

If this keeps up, we'll have to pay him a consulting fee.

Heh.  I take cash, BBQ, and beer as legal tender.  If I was single I would also accept legal Tinder.

FTR, I am home today.  Drinking coffee and solving the problems of the world.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »

Sure, computers can do the job more accurately, more efficiently, and probably safer overall, but the computers lack the ability to reason, see outside and judge the environment, anticipate rapidly changing events, and most importantly, they lack the ability to think outside their programming.

That's why I still want a pilot or two up there.

Another example of a situation that a computer probably couldn't have handled was the one a few years ago when a flight from South America to New Orleans (IIRC) flamed out short of the destination and had to land short of the airport. They were lining up to ditch in a canal when the pilots spotted a nice, straight, level-looking levee, and set the plane down on that. No injuries, and after some engine repairs a crew was able to fly it out off the levee to an airport for more permanent repairs. I don't think I computer could have handled that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »
As automation in the cockpit increases, we pilots have less to do.  The running joke is that soon there will be one pilot and one dog.  The pilot's job is to feed the dog.  The dog's job is to bite the pilot if he tries to touch the controls.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
As to pilot-less planes, I can see it happening, but not for at least 20 years.  Probably closer to 40.  That is mainly do to limitations on the aircraft, not the computers.

We've all seen the videos of computers playing chess, or catching a ball, or driving a car.  Those a simple tasks compared to the complexity of flying a plane through bad weather.  Computers are better than humans at many things, but they can not replace expert judgement learned after many years of experience.

Until they send the computer up with the pilots to learn how to deal with those things on its own. Machine learning is a frightening and impressive thing.

One I have read about is teaching computers to diagnose things from medical records- and the programs were coming up with diagnoses warning of (IIRC) schizophrenia.* When doctors don't actually know what causes it, but the computers were catching a correlation and the programmers don't even know what the correlation the program was catching is.  

That italicized portion is the frightening part.

*And were correct about the diagnoses, which is rather important.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:12:48 AM »
'

Captured this a while ago. Couldn't resist.

Apologies in advance.

X (Terry, his mark)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 10:16:55 AM »
'

Captured this a while ago. Couldn't resist.

Apologies in advance.

X (Terry, his mark)

<Click!>"This is your captain speaking, could all passengers scootch over to the right side of the plane so we can bank and turn this bird please?"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »
Until they send the computer up with the pilots to learn how to deal with those things on its own. Machine learning is a frightening and impressive thing.

One I have read about is teaching computers to diagnose things from medical records- and the programs were coming up with diagnoses warning of (IIRC) schizophrenia.* When doctors don't actually know what causes it, but the computers were catching a correlation and the programmers don't even know what the correlation the program was catching is.  

That italicized portion is the frightening part.

*And were correct about the diagnoses, which is rather important.
I guess it is the same thing with automated cars.  People might trust them until they don't.  All it would take it one failure.  Even if the actual record is good, you can bet the media will play up any perceived failure. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:30:35 PM »
Self driving anything is going to be a boon to both statist control freaks and anti statist terrorists of all stripes that can hack the datalink or compromise the human somewhere in the system.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:38 PM »
<Click!>"This is your captain speaking, could all passengers scootch over to the right side of the plane so we can bank and turn this bird please?"

Didn't they actually do something like that in one of the infamous rudder hydraulic failure incidents?  May have been a fore/aft shift to trim the plane out better that way so the crew could focus on fighting to turn with throttles, though.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 12:00:22 AM »
Didn't they actually do something like that in one of the infamous rudder hydraulic failure incidents?  May have been a fore/aft shift to trim the plane out better that way so the crew could focus on fighting to turn with throttles, though.

United 232.  They didn't have passengers moving from side to side.  Just another pilot from the airline (who had probably bumped a paying passenger) helping with the throttles.

What helped according the Captain:

Of the 296 people aboard, 111 were killed in the crash, while 185 survived. Haynes later told of three contributing factors regarding the time of day that allowed for a greater number of passengers surviving:

1)  The accident occurred during daylight hours in good weather;
2)  The accident occurred as a shift change was occurring at both a regional trauma center and a regional burn center in Sioux City, allowing for more medical personnel to treat the injured;
3)  The accident occurred when the Iowa Air National Guard was on duty at Sioux Gateway Airport, allowing for 285 trained personnel to assist with triage and evacuation of the injured.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.