Author Topic: Arizona to Vote on Taking Back Grand Canyon  (Read 2090 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Arizona to Vote on Taking Back Grand Canyon
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:47:57 AM »
I knew several Western states were engaged in "Sagebush Rebellion" stuff, but had not heard of this AZ ballot initiative. What can the resident AZ residents tell us about it and its chances?

I'm going to be following the story with interest. As far as I know, no area made into a National Park has ever been taken from the park system (I may be mistaken). This would certainly give the fed.gov a black eye.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/24/arizona-to-vote-on-taking-control-grand-canyon-next-front-in-agebrush-revolt/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Triphammer

• friend
Re: Arizona to Vote on Taking Back Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »
Prop 120
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Arizona_Declaration_of_State_Sovereignty_Amendment,_Proposition_120_(2012)

I lays claim to the "air, water & minerals" but exempts land to which "rights have been ceded", I don't think it would change the status of a park but we may have the use of "wilderness areas" set aside by Clinton on his last day in office returned to local residents.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:37:42 AM »
This makes zero sense if they plan to stay in the Union.  Now if they don't...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:36:40 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
It's a gauntlet, and intended to be one, across the face of FedGuv.  In particular, the EPA, BLM and USFS.

It will go to court, all the way to SCOTUS, if the ballot passes.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:42:17 PM »
It's a gauntlet, and intended to be one, across the face of FedGuv.  In particular, the EPA, BLM and USFS.

I hope they win, however, I don't hold out much hope with the current makeup of SCOTUS.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »
I hope they win, however, I don't hold out much hope with the current makeup of SCOTUS.

Rule Number One: the federal government is always right.

Rule Number Two: see number one.

:mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »
Mackinac Island, Michigan is a historic fur trading post, significant in native American culture, and the site of several bloody land and water battles.  It was named and claimed as the nation's second national park.  It was taken over by the State of Michigan many years ago.  I'm not aware of the reasons for the transfer, other than that it did, in fact, happen.
7-11 was a part time job.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »
lays claim to the "air, water & minerals" but exempts land to which "rights have been ceded

Doesn't that give them royalty rights?

And control of the Colorado River?

Wonder how that last one would go over with the Corps of Engineers and everybody downstream?

Whho cares about the Feds operating a tourist trap?  If nothing else the State can take a cut of the gross via this plan.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 03:05:45 AM »
Doesn't that give them royalty rights?

And control of the Colorado River?

Wonder how that last one would go over with the Corps of Engineers and everybody downstream?

Whho cares about the Feds operating a tourist trap?  If nothing else the State can take a cut of the gross via this plan.

stay safe.

Somebody in California didn't pay the utility bills. Lights and water are about to be turned off.

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 03:14:34 AM »
Somebody in California didn't pay the utility bills. Lights and water are about to be turned off.

I like a lot.  Turn off the tap also.  People can go without electricity for several days.  Water, mmmmm, not so much.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:42:59 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 03:23:29 AM »
We'd like to kick the land-grabbing Nazi Park Circus pukes out of AK.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »
We'd like to kick the land-grabbing Nazi Park Circus pukes out of AK.
Rule Number One: the federal government is always right.

Rule Number Two: see number one.

:mad:

This kind of stuff irks the stuff outta me.
most of the yr the fedgov ignores the black rock desert where I live, but down the road from me they have "burningman" and every fed cop in existence wants to go because it has tons of nekked wimin .... personally I don't care that they want to go, its a fun party - but they have to bring all the fed gov regs with them, not to make people safe, not to enforce drug laws, but simply to create fed gun regs in a well armed area.

fed gov creates this nasty gun free zone that is miles away from burning man, if caught with a gun you face a yr in fed prison.
Of course its done in an area where hunters and armed ranchers congregate, and its not posted so you have no way of knowing if your're violating some fed reg.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
most of the yr the fedgov ignores the black rock desert where I live, but down the road from me they have "burningman" and every fed cop in existence wants to go because it has tons of nekked wimin .... personally I don't care that they want to go, its a fun party - but they have to bring all the fed gov regs with them, not to make people safe, not to enforce drug laws, but simply to create fed gun regs in a well armed area.

fed gov creates this nasty gun free zone that is miles away from burning man, if caught with a gun you face a yr in fed prison.
Of course its done in an area where hunters and armed ranchers congregate, and its not posted so you have no way of knowing if your're violating some fed reg.

Need to schedule our own event at the same time, with everyone armed.

So many armed people that they wouldn't dare try to arrest anyone  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
Need to schedule our own event at the same time, with everyone armed.

So many armed people that they wouldn't dare try to arrest anyone  >:D

Didn't some people down in Texas try that back in '93?  *whistles innocently*

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 07:42:26 PM »

Simple solution. Make it a year-round shindig, build a big fence around it. Put all the hippies in there.

Then move someplace else.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »
This makes zero sense if they plan to stay in the Union.  Now if they don't...

If they don't I'm moving back there. 

Thought it was hot in the AZ mountains, then we moved to TX....

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
Didn't some people down in Texas try that back in '93?  *whistles innocently*

That was the BurningChildren festival  :mad: