Author Topic: Court Upholds Ballot Initiative to Save Mt. Soledad Cross  (Read 751 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Court Upholds Ballot Initiative to Save Mt. Soledad Cross
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:33:38 AM »
Court Upholds Ballot Initiative to Save Mt. Soledad Cross
By Randy Hall
CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200612/CUL20061201a.html

(CNSNews.com) - The California Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that a ballot proposition by San Diego voters to donate the property on which the Mt. Soledad Memorial sits to the federal government was constitutional.

In its 53-page decision, the three-judge panel for the Fourth Appellate District of the California Court of Appeals unanimously held that Superior Court Judge Patricia Yim Cowett erred in invalidating Proposition A, which was approved by 75 percent of voters in July 2005.

"Given the language of Proposition A and the official ballot argument in favor of the proposition, we cannot conclude the individuals who voted for the proposition acted in order to establish the Christian religion or favor that religion," wrote Associate Justice Patricia Benke.

The ballot initiative came about after the city refused to donate the cross and memorial to the federal government. A group called San Diegans for the Mount Soledad National War Memorial took just 23 days to gather 105,000 signatures.

Also, the court reversed a $275,000 attorney fee award received by an ACLU-supported lawyer for plaintiff Phillip Paulsen, the atheist who began the battle over the 43-foot-tall cross by filing suit against the city in 1989 and passed away a month ago.

Thursday's ruling drew praise from conservative groups that have been fighting to keep the memorial from being torn down.

"The California appeals court got it right," said Jay Sekulow, chief counsel of the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), which is actively defending the constitutionality of the cross.

"This decision clearly shows that the ballot proposition was proper and constitutional in transferring the land to the federal government," Sekulow added in a news release. Thursday's ruling "represents another important legal victory in the ongoing battle to keep the Mt. Soledad Memorial in place."

"We are quite pleased with the court's decision," said Charles LiMandri, the West Coast regional director for the Thomas More Law Center, which argued the case. "It protects the will of the people and their desire to preserve a historical, veterans' memorial for future generations."

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, the Mount Soledad case has generated national interest since 1998, when the city sold the property to the Mt. Soledad War Memorial Association in an effort to prevent the cross -- which was erected in 1954 to honor U.S. veterans -- from being torn down as a result of Paulsen's 1989 petition.

That sale originally was upheld but later ruled unconstitutional by the full panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco and sent back to district court to work out a proper solution to the conflict.

This past May, Federal District Court Judge George Thompson told the city to remove the cross before Aug. 1 or face a $5,000-a-day fine. However, Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy issued a stay of that ruling in July.

Also on Thursday, San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders and City Attorney Mike Aguirre praised the court ruling and said they hoped it would put an end to the lengthy controversy.

"It's always possible that you could have a review by the California Supreme Court, but I would say that it's less likely that that will happen and more likely that this will become the final finding," Aguirre told reporters.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
Re: Court Upholds Ballot Initiative to Save Mt. Soledad Cross
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:47:42 PM »
I guess I don't get this deal with suing the .gov when a religious symbol is displayed. As long as any religion is allowed to practice or display their religious symbol on .gov property there should be no problem.
The Constitution says shall not establish a religion (ie. state religion), not that anything religious should be banned.
The supposed "separation of church and state" idea comes from a letter by Thomas Jefferson I believe.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 12:05:28 PM »
Also, the court reversed a $275,000 attorney fee award received by an ACLU-supported lawyer for plaintiff Phillip Paulsen...

LOL!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 04:37:41 PM »
It is nice to see the secularist killjoys and whiny biatches take it in the face every once in a while.

It is beven better when they take it in the pocketbook.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 02:07:17 PM »
The supposed "separation of church and state" idea comes from a letter by Thomas Jefferson I believe.

Yup!

I wish the libs would have us run the country based on all the letters of Jefferson, like the one where he said "we have the right to all the terrible weapons of WAR"

THE LETTER

Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
Jan.1.1802.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."