Author Topic: Any EMT's out there.  (Read 2068 times)

50 Shooter

Any EMT's out there.
« on: August 17, 2005, 04:49:21 AM »
Have you heard of ICE (In Case of Emergency) on cell phones? It was passed on to me by another person, said that EMT's look for it on people's cell phone if they are in a accident or... The idea is to put someone's number listed as ICE so that they don't have to guess which number to call.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Any EMT's out there.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 04:51:56 AM »
Yeah, there's been some stuff on the local tv news about it.  Sounds like an interesting idea...provided the cell phone isn't smarter than the person trying to use it in an emergency.

My oldest kid (Incubus #1) is a firefighter/paramedic and he's aware of it.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

cfabe

• friend
Any EMT's out there.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 06:24:20 AM »
I've seen this posted on about every board a frequent. Good idea I guess, unless the phone is dead, crushed in the accident, confusing to operate, no signal, etc. What's wrong with a slip of paper behind your drivers license with your important info (emergency contacts, medical info, etc) on it? High tech is not always the best solution.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Any EMT's out there.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 06:49:50 AM »
No signal wouldn't matter.

You can still pull up the directory on most cell phones without a signal.

To the best of my knowledge, no one is saying that it should REPLACE an ID card in the wallet. Only supplement it.

Of course, you could always get chipped.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JAlexander

• friend
Any EMT's out there.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 11:42:14 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
No signal wouldn't matter.

You can still pull up the directory on most cell phones without a signal.

To the best of my knowledge, no one is saying that it should REPLACE an ID card in the wallet. Only supplement it.

Of course, you could always get chipped.
Wouldn't that be a sign of the End Times?

James

SMLE

Any EMT's out there.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 12:12:09 PM »
A "medic-alert" bracelet or necklace could be as good or better. Your phone might be 50 yards away depending on the nature of the incident. In a mass casualty incident, it might be a PITA to match up whose phone is whose.  BUT, Police and EMS personnel DO look in cell phones for info on people who need medical attention. thare have been 2 cases that I personally witnessed in the last month. One was a man who had a stroke while driving. We were able to contact his wife. The other was a 95 year old lady who was lost and confused. She was in Belen NM, and thought she was actually in Pagosa Springs Co.

FWIW, I've put an ICE entry in my cell phone.

gaston_45

• friend
Any EMT's out there.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »
I have been on the local fire department for the last 13 years, and I can tell you that we don't waste time looking for cell phones.  The cops or the tow truck driver might get it after we leave but we don't have the time to look for it.  We also don't go through people's personal efffects on the way to the hospital, the hosplital personell can take on that liability if they choose.

Any EMT's out there.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 10:38:57 PM »
Quote from: gaston_45
I have been on the local fire department for the last 13 years, and I can tell you that we don't waste time looking for cell phones.  The cops or the tow truck driver might get it after we leave but we don't have the time to look for it.  We also don't go through people's personal efffects on the way to the hospital, the hosplital personell can take on that liability if they choose.
Every phone has its own little operating system, and people forget how hard it is to pick up some random phone and find a refference in the directory. Really, contacting loved ones is going to be the responsibility of the hospital rather than EMS anyways, and they *might* go through a phone, eventually. But they are more likely to look for entries under "Mom" or "Dad" than anything else.

kayak bum

Any EMT's out there.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 11:07:33 PM »
On most of the incidents I have been involved with the phones have been locked; don't do much good that way.  Also had a deceases victim's phone keep ringing and ringing one night.  Also locked, and the phone was smarter than we were....that and no one really wanted to answer it..."no, um you don't know me....yes...I'm with the county police...no, he cant come to the phone right now...."