Author Topic: Wireless signal theft detection  (Read 11105 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Wireless signal theft detection
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
the only thing i don't give away are(or is that is) hard drives. when i'm done with them they won't work for anything,

Unfortunately, I seem to have had a bit of a rash of that happening before I'm done with them.

Even worse, I ran across a 4G Hitachi that just won't die.  Not a single bad sector.  Meanwhile the 40G I was going to use to work up a spare Debian-based random-crap-server for practice might actually be improved if I took the platters out and ran them through the dishwasher.

Anybody got an ISA IDE card laying around?  I have a Poweredge in the garage I'd like to cobble back together, but it has, IIRC, 50G total between two SCSI HDDs and the only SCSI CDROM I have is only double speed - that takes a while to install anything from.

Meanwhile, I think my previous desktop (1.6GHz in a nice tower case that would make a great fileserver with all its extra bays) may have been prematurely retired with only a bad power supply.  Unfortunately, I have no clue where the side panels ended up in the last move.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 08:55:14 PM »
that's what happens to all my hard drives, i have lost everything a time or 2, i finely learnt to swap hard drives when they start sounding bad. [tinfoil] =| does it have a network card? might be faster to copy the cds to a different computer,(or mount them directly) and install over the network. =)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 07:20:28 AM »
does it have a network card? might be faster to copy the cds to a different computer,(or mount them directly) and install over the network. =)

It will by the time I'm done with it.  I'm trying to work past a few bugs at the moment to get my wife's old Pentium 233 running (with the aforementioned 4G drive) as a CD server for that, since it already has two CD drives and a network card.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »

Anybody got an ISA IDE card laying around?  I have a Poweredge in the garage I'd like to cobble back together, but it has, IIRC, 50G total between two SCSI HDDs and the only SCSI CDROM I have is only double speed - that takes a while to install anything from.

I might have an old ISA IDE card around here. I'll look. I have a small stack of Siig PCI cards. I'll look later.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG