Author Topic: hotel guest pulls gun on LE who broke into wrong room  (Read 5008 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
hotel guest pulls gun on LE who broke into wrong room
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
cops ( due to hotel error?) think suspect is in this guys room, he has gun, I'm surprised it ended without a shooting.
http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/post/2010/12/holiday-inn-express-accused-of-leading-police-to-wrong-room/133466/1

( I didn't see a date but I think its current )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: hotel guest pulls gun on LE who broke into wrong room
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:14:28 PM »
mr little impresses me as a most reasonable man. proof of that is he did not shoot the cop  and that his suit is quite reasonable as well. no silly amount. were i in hotel management i would write him a check and make policy changes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
So, were they standing there pointing guns at each other until the guy figured out the entrant was a cop?  Sounds like a pretty rough situation.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »
Well, at least Mr. Little was staying at a Holiday Inn Express when this all went down.

Anyone staying anywhere else would have either shot the cop or been shot.

Apparently working at Holiday Inn Express does confer the same mental prowess as staying there.

I've gotta seen this one as a TV commercial.  =D   ;/   :angel:

Srsly?  Not one uniformed cop?

Knowing nothing about what the suspect was wanted for, or how recently she had committed her crime, I have all sorts of questions about why plainclothes cops were acting without a warrant.   [popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:23:59 PM »
Those prostitution stings.

Johns might flush the evidence down the toilet or something.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
dollars to donuts  vice cop   hooking/drugs   rolled client  would love to hear the cops opinion on the guy who sent him to wrong room.  now THIS  is a teachable moment.  speaks well that neither man pulled trigger if they had it would be tough to fault the guy in the room
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 04:27:18 PM »
From the above linked article:
The man then allegedly broke the chain lock and forced his way into the hotel room. Little says he feared for his life and drew his pistol as protection. Little says the man shouted, "He has a gun," and drew his own weapon.

I travel and stay in hotels alot. Both sides got lucky that night. If the above statement is accurate, I would have shot. Period. Plain clothes. Middle of the night. Break open my hotel room door and door chain. I shoot.

Stoner V California. Anyone??

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 04:29:08 PM »
Gunsmith,
It is current, at the bottom was the posting date.
Posted Dec 3 2010 5:07AM
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 07:39:41 PM »
From the way the story reads, the (non-uniformed, unidentifiable) LEO broke down the door, and then, after seeing the hotel room occupant was armed, drew his gun.

If the hotel guest didn't shoot the (non-uniformed, unidentifiable) invader when he first broke in, he certainly would have been totally justified when the non-uniformed, unidentifiable invader went for a gun.

That (non-uniformed, unidentifiable) LEO is so, so lucky . . . he ought to go out and buy a lotto ticket to try and ride his lucky streak.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
There were many, many ways this could have gone tragically wrong. One has to see the professionalism of LEOs here, too.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »
THIS  is a teachable moment

Teachable for who?  From the info provided, not the hotel guest. The cops, yes. Lots of unanswered questions. Warrant?  What was the suspect wanted for?  No mention of cops after a fleeing suspect?

Mr Little does not need teaching. The cops, well, I second the need for them to go purchase a lottery ticket. I wouldn't have believed a plain clothed individual claiming to be a cop at my door at night.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »
i think at least one cop learned to not blindly follow the instruction of a hotel employee. hopefully more than one cop learns from this.  i know some lessons "imprint" better than others. having a gun pointed at you increases the intensity of "imprint" a couple notches.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »
I'm afraid, based on what was presented, that the instant I saw an un-uniformed person burst through my door I would be on round 3 before the splinters hit the ground! That is a SUPER bad setup and STUPID on the officer's part to not go in with his gun/guard up IF it was serious enough to warrant that kind of entry!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »
i think at least one cop learned to not blindly follow the instruction of a hotel employee. hopefully more than one cop learns from this.  i know some lessons "imprint" better than others. having a gun pointed at you increases the intensity of "imprint" a couple notches.

Agreed

Abraham Lincoln

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 09:55:24 PM »

This.

I am glad nobody was hurt terribly.

Whenever I stay in a hotel room, I place one of the chairs in front of the door, edged over a little past or centered on the jamb on the side that opens, and place my luggage on the chair for some mass & bulk.  The idea is not to prevent a break-in, but to present an irregular obstacle that must be negotiated after the door is burst open. 

Are there not some portable dealies that will pretty much keep a door closed unless it is destroyed?  I think I might want to investigate one of those.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 12:18:49 AM »
Are there not some portable dealies that will pretty much keep a door closed unless it is destroyed?  I think I might want to investigate one of those.

These?

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/breakroom-cleaning/janitorial-supplies/door-stops?cm_mmc=Google-_-OFSU+Breakroom-_-Door+Stops-_-doorstop_Phrase&002=2109531&004=1238106844&005=280231792&006=5493617344&007=Search&008=&gclid=CNSarvXr0aUCFcNM4Aod606Skw

A bit more cost;y than I remember them being, but I think I bought my last hatd rubber doorstop in the 1970's, when they were somewhere between 50 & 75 cents.

Or you can get the screaming alarm model.
http://www.personalarms.com/home_alarms/door_stop_alarm.htm

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 01:08:16 AM »
Even door wedges are tactical now. http://www.tacwedge.com/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 02:35:17 AM »

woah, that's awesomely cool.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 03:56:43 AM »
I have to wonder what will happen to Mr. Little when he gets back to Illinois with the authorities there knowing he has a handgun.  Aren't they a little sticky about that in the Land of Lincoln?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 03:57:31 AM »
Or you can get the screaming alarm model.
http://www.personalarms.com/home_alarms/door_stop_alarm.htm

Unfortunately, the kind that would wake me up quickly enough is illegal.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 04:13:24 AM »
Don't they make an adjustable length fox-bar that doesn't require a permanent floor anchor? (Think chair wedged under the door handle but substantially studier, functional and more portable.)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 04:19:02 AM »
Don't they make an adjustable length fox-bar that doesn't require a permanent floor anchor? (Think chair wedged under the door handle but substantially studier, functional and more portable.)

Yup.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-265DCCSEN-Dual-Function-Security/dp/B0002YUX8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291454272&sr=8-1

Personally, I prefer that kind.  I've personally, uh, tested one. Works really well.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 07:40:23 AM »
I have to wonder what will happen to Mr. Little when he gets back to Illinois with the authorities there knowing he has a handgun.  Aren't they a little sticky about that in the Land of Lincoln?

If he had a FOID, he should be okay.
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_il.htm
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »
Note to self.....need to get a Tokarev or AR-pistol as my new overnight-hotel-bedside pistol.....

This is also the reason I put a couple of chairs or luggage in front of the hotel door....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »
lol, the ozzy motel stay version. :laugh:
The good news about TacWedgeâ„¢ is that its four steel spikes are so aggressive that they dig holes in concrete while the saw-tooth blade mauls the bottom of a door to shreds.