Author Topic: Anti-Spyware?  (Read 4056 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Anti-Spyware?
« on: December 12, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »
should I renew my PC tools "Spyware Doctor" or is there anything better out there now?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Anti-Spyware?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »
I've used Spybot search and destroy for years.  It's free and never had problem.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »
If your system is less than a few years old and Windows, I highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. Very unobtrusive compared to other packages out there, and free.

I've noticed it can slow older machines at startup. YMMV.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
I used spybot for a while in conjunction with the free AVG but it let the AVG 2009 virus BS through and would not pick it up on a scan. I bought the PC Tools to get rid of the AVG virus which it did but it took a few tries. I renewed last year but I figured I'd ask before I bit again this year.

My machine is pretty old in computer terms. maybe~ 8 YO now. it seems like the PC tools slows me down, especially on the flash ads at yahoo anyways but it HAS been better since I restarted the modem like HT told me too. Amazing something so simple can make such a difference.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »
I use the MS Security Essentials and Spybot Search & Destroy myself and I don't have any issues at all. I use Adaware as well and between the 3 I feel quite covered.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »
Something better?  The answer is Linux.

=D
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »
can this "Linux" be loaded into an 8 yo PC?

Same question for "essentials"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
Super-Antispyware works pretty well.  They have a free version.  It will pick up stuff that the other packages don't.  It makes a good complement to Spybot Search and Destroy.  Between the two there isn't much that will be missed.
You can run them both in conjunction with Microsoft Security Essentials.
You can also run something like the free version of MalwareBytes.  It's pretty effective, and as it is an on-demand scanner, it shouldn't but heads with MS SE and the others.  You may have to temporarily turn MS SE off before you scan with it.
In case you don't know, Linux is an altogether different operating system, supposedly immune to malware (It isn't, though it is targeted a lot less due to its much smaller user base).  Drewtam was making the obligatory Linux vs. MS Windows comment for this thread.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
can this "Linux" be loaded into an 8 yo PC?

Same question for "essentials"

Well, if ya want to get into it, Linux will probably run faster on an older system than the Windows you have on there now. :)

With the Security Essentials, it's hard to say. On about a half dozen older machines I've tried it on, it slowed all but two of them down pretty significantly at startup. After startup I didn't detect any hiccups. One of the machines that got bogged down pretty well was a 6 year old higher-end Alienware machine, while a lower end P4 did fine with it.

You could always try it, and if it slows you down too much just uninstall and try something else.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »
Oh I knew he was obligated to chime that in.  =D

I also wonder if it's a legitimate answer but I don't think I want to open THAT discussion again.  :laugh:

will this essentials load into my 8 yo clone? I don't even know what the hell I have but I know when I bought it from my buddy that built it it was supposed to be a race car.

here's what I see: Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz, 480 MB of RAM

Windows XP 2002 Home Version

and something about an AACPI uniprocessor. how bad did my buddy rip me off 8 years ago?  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »
I'm thinking the RAM will do you in with SE. :(

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »
Think I have room for more RAMs?  >:D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »
When you've cleaned the bugs out, up the RAM to a gigabyte.  I think you'll see a considerable improvement in performance.  I've got three older machines around here that are P4 based, and they always benefited nicely when I bumped them to a full gig of RAM.
They also run Security Essentials pretty well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
I will look into it post haste. I know I've been wanting to open it up and dust it out anyways. So if I suddenly disappear for a while you'll know I effed it up somehow.  :lol:

it's always been a decent machine but like the last 3-4 months it's been a PITA. Most of that cleared up after the modem restart though. it's not running too too bad right now.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 07:16:40 PM »
Make sure your system will take a gig or more before you by it. I have a Dell from that age in the garage that will only take 512 max. Another Dell from about the same time has a gig in it.

That beep, beep, beep, black screen would kinda suck if you had to buy the memory.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »
You mean physically as in enough uh, thingies to plug it into or as in effs up the system somehow internally with too much RAM? How would I check this?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »
Jim147 speaks the truth.  Some systems maxed out at addressing 512 MB.  You can google the make/model, something on the specs will turn up.  Or, if the motherboard has make/model info on it, you can do the same.
If you can't find the specs on it, shoot the make/model or motherboard info my way.  I might be able to find it.  Lot's of old info laying around after I closed my computer business.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:35:54 PM by RocketMan »

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
Kapersky 2011. Had its previous version and just updated to the 2011. Nary a problem. Microsoft security essentials, I pass on it. No way to opt out of sending info from your computer to their servers.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 07:37:51 PM »
I've always heard that the Kapersky rescue discs were pretty good.  I was just never been able to get them to update and run.  Must be something I did wrong.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 09:34:57 PM »
Ad Aware, and Malwarebytes. I've run both on several machines, and regardless of which you run first, the other always finds a bunch more. IMHO there is NO single program out there that gets them all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »
Oh I knew he was obligated to chime that in.  =D

I also wonder if it's a legitimate answer but I don't think I want to open THAT discussion again.  :laugh:

will this essentials load into my 8 yo clone? I don't even know what the hell I have but I know when I bought it from my buddy that built it it was supposed to be a race car.

here's what I see: Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz, 480 MB of RAM

Windows XP 2002 Home Version

and something about an AACPI uniprocessor. how bad did my buddy rip me off 8 years ago?  :lol:

Try and get more RAM into that.  XP, fully updated, is quite doggy in 512MB (which is what you have, minus a smidge for shared video memory).

Linux will run fine.

Jim147 speaks the truth.  Some systems maxed out at addressing 512 MB.  You can google the make/model, something on the specs will turn up.  Or, if the motherboard has make/model info on it, you can do the same.

Kingston.com's memory configurator will tell you exactly what you can do.  Just hope you don't have RAMBUS memory.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 10:55:19 PM »
You mean physically as in enough uh, thingies to plug it into or as in effs up the system somehow internally with too much RAM? How would I check this?

Could be both, but it won't hurt your system. You would just need to go back to the smaller amount. The main issue is that a computer of that age might not recognize a larger amount of RAM, even if the modules fit in the slots. I would go to Dell's support page, and enter the service tag number. It will be on a sticker somewhere on the back, top or side of the case, and it will be something like 812BX4G. Also, go to New Egg or Crucial Memory, and ask their memory configurator what sort of RAM your model of computer will accept.

There really isn't a downside to trying out Microsoft Security Essentials (unless you're worried about the personal information issue that someone mentioned). MSE is free, and if it slows things down, try something else. Just make sure you have some other Anti-Spyware in mind, as a back-up.

As others have said, MSE is very light on resources. However, comma, even though it doesn't slow my computer down during start-up or normal operation, it does take an extremely long time to actually complete a full scan. Even so, I have other, slower computers that don't have that problem at all.  ???

Also, if you use Spybot, and it slows everything down to a crawl, disable Tea Timer. In fact, there should be an option whether to install Tea Timer, when you are installing the rest of Spybot. Check no.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:58:21 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »
Awesome, I do appreciate the collective knowledge.  ;)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »
That Fistful feller is gettin' pretty smart on them 'puter thingies.  Although, I think 280plus said he had a no-name clone, not a Dell.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:48:22 PM by RocketMan »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »
Heck, you can run Ubuntu 10.10 (the latest distribution) on 512MB quite handily.

WinXP with sp2 and later is very dodgy with a system with under 1GB RAM.  I can't recommend Win Vista (at all) or Win7 with less than 2GB of RAM.

I just loaded "Bioshock" (a first person 3d shootemup windows game) on my Ubuntu system running WINE (an open-source windows emulation engine) and played it with no issues at all.  I have MS-Office 2007 on it, too.  I even have Visual Studio 2005 loaded on my Linux box.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!