Author Topic: Anti-Spyware?  (Read 4055 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Anti-Spyware?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 07:09:49 AM »
That Fistful feller is gettin' pretty smart on them 'puter thingies.  Although, I think 280plus said he had a no-name clone, not a Dell.
Hell, I was thinking he's so smart he knows an ACPI Uniprocessor is a Dell component. :O

:angel:

I BELIEVE (cause it's hard to remember) this was upgraded from Win98. Converting to linux seems problematic in terms of my peachtree accounting program and other HVAC related programs. I sure as hell can't lose any of that stuff in a conversion and I have no idea if they'd be compatible at all.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 07:33:55 AM »
Hell, I was thinking he's so smart he knows an ACPI Uniprocessor is a Dell component. :O :angel:

Actuaumally, it's not just a Dell thing.  Even my no-name boxes all have it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »
Ohhhhh, as you can see, it's all mostly Greek to me.

Now a boiler on the other hand...  need anything boiled? Steamed? =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 09:13:07 AM »
Heck, you can run Ubuntu 10.10 (the latest distribution) on 512MB quite handily.

WinXP with sp2 and later is very dodgy with a system with under 1GB RAM.  I can't recommend Win Vista (at all) or Win7 with less than 2GB of RAM.

I just loaded "Bioshock" (a first person 3d shootemup windows game) on my Ubuntu system running WINE (an open-source windows emulation engine) and played it with no issues at all.  I have MS-Office 2007 on it, too.  I even have Visual Studio 2005 loaded on my Linux box.

Wine is not an emulator.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage