Author Topic: This seems a bit off...  (Read 5788 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
This seems a bit off...
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »
http://www.laleva.org/eng/2012/03/world_renown_heart_surgeon_speaks_out_on_what_really_causes_heart_disease.html#.T2vngYAJphz.facebook

I'm always open to believing the conventional wisdom is wrong, but this rather poorly written article sends up some flags. Any doctor types on APS who could give some insight?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: This seems a bit off...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »
Well, I am not too sure. Maybe after years of study involving hundreds if not thousands of people it might be true. But what we are doing now is evidence-based practice. It may not be the best way to do things but it is what we have.

I also believe most high cholesterol, along with out of whack triglycerides and lously HL and LDL levels come from genetics. I could probably drink nothing but H2O and my levels would still be jacked up. My mother had her first heart attack at 52 and her third and final @ 57. 3 kids, all have issues with cholesterol.

I think we all know that a high fat diet is bad for us, just as the package of "stuff" you can buy marketed as food that has an expiration date down the road a few years.

IMO, until he publishes some peer-reviewed studies and can point to some evidence based practice, he is just another retired doc trying to make some money selling a book.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-review-the-caveman-paleo-diet

I had a nice long post going but my gorram iPhone ate it.

I'm not in lockstep with a paleo diet as I include grains legumes and dairy(and bacon).

I began a concerted move away from highly processed food a few years ago. I raise a significant part of what we eat. For the most part it's less expensive, tastes better, more nutritious and I know where it's been.
Losing 70#s of body weight since I started and feeling better is proof enough for me that I'm on the right path.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:50:42 AM »
I always wonder about medical/health fads.  One decade it's don't eat this, the next one is yes eat this. 

Obviously, it's our physiologies that change from decade to decade and the medical industry exerts great effort to follow those changes.

Like administering lead compounds used to be beneficial, as was bleeding with leeches or vacuum cups.  But our physiology has changed, and these two methods no longer suit the changes in our metabolisms.

The only health advice I suggest following is Michelle Obama's.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
Well....we all learned about the dangers of alcoholism from the short life of Ted Kennedy....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:25:12 PM »
I also believe most high cholesterol, along with out of whack triglycerides and lously HL and LDL levels come from genetics.

I agree.
Its been well known for a long time that mutations to certain surface proteins on our cells cause the cells to not uptake and process cholesterols correctly.
Irritation has also been well known for a long time ofr build up of tissues in the irritated area, whther it be calcifications/bone spurs in parts of the body that get a lot of wear and tear, or hardening of arteries.

Its also known that chelation therapy that is used to reduce heavy metals after exposure, strips the arteries clean of plaques as a side effect.

Problem is that chelation therapy  is cheap, while a lifetime of cholesterol drugs is very expensive.

The doctor who discovered that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and could be treated with a cheap round of antibiotics faced the same uphill battle and scorn for his challenge of conventional wisdom and all of the money involved .
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »
Our food that we eat is contaminated with gunk and garbage.
How many items in your household have 'high fructose corn syrup' or any form of soy in it? The former is pure poison, the latter is debateable.
It seems like we have to justify our surplus crops and surplus agricultural industry by putting this stuff in just about everything on the grocery store shelf.

I notice that the article mentioned Kinase reactions caused by consuming these products- kinase reactions are often seen in auto-immune diseases that attack the joints. I wonder how many people are out there suffering from 'incurable' painful diseases without the knowledge that they are simply poisoning themselves?

I like to jump all over this stuff because I had some sort of auto-immune (reactive arthritis) problems that the doctors couldn't figure out last year. I made a lot of lifestyle changes, much of it havingto do with what I'll consume or not consume, and the problems went away.

Barack Obama

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lundell.html

Dwight C. Lundell, M.D. lost medical license in 2008.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
Just the page header screams quackery.

Get a grip on your wallet, this guy has something to sell.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »
Pretty much w/ Bob R. on this one.

Wasn't it Ben Franlin who said (among other things) "All things in moderation"?

When I ran a Cardiac Rehab program, I told my patients to "eat like you have some damned sense"!

I also told them, "If you're not going to quit tobacco, totally, go down to the pawn shop and buy a cheap gun."
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »
What the two Bobs said.  Some of his statements as to chronic inflammation are probably correct, and more and more evidence is coming out on the role of chronic inflammation in many acute and chronic diseases.  It being primarily caused by food and counteracted by supplements is quite a bit more speculative, without a lot of good evidence to back it up.  Speaking as someone who has worked in medmal for almost 30 years now, I learned long ago that just because someone has MD, DO, RN or whatever behind their name does not necessarily make them an expert.  Especially in areas outside their usual scope of practice.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:35 PM »
When swmbo and I get back home, we're gonna break out the Sugarbusters book and get serious about watching what we eat. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:52:59 PM »
http://blog.seattlepi.com/hottopics/2012/03/26/chemists-popcorn%E2%80%99s-antioxidants-top-fruits-veggies/

Clearly Dr. Lundell doesn't want you to know about the life-saving properties of popcorn.  No money to be made selling popcorn.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
http://blog.seattlepi.com/hottopics/2012/03/26/chemists-popcorn%E2%80%99s-antioxidants-top-fruits-veggies/

Clearly Dr. Lundell doesn't want you to know about the life-saving properties of popcorn.  No money to be made selling popcorn.

Tell that to the heirs of Orville Redenbacher.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
You know what causes heart disease?

Going to the doctor. No one has ever died of heart disease who didn't go to the doctor to be diagnosed with it.

>:D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »
Wasn't it Ben Franlin who said (among other things) "All things in moderation"?

"Moderation in all things, including moderation" is attributed to Petronius, Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, and others.  I like it better.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 09:25:15 PM »
You know what causes heart disease?

Going to the doctor. No one has ever died of heart disease who didn't go to the doctor to be diagnosed with it.

>:D

Yep....and if women would stop going to obstetricians, we'd stop a lot of guys getting the surprise of their lives, too......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »
Oh yeah, that makes SO MUCH sense Seeker!  :facepalm:
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »
I tend to follow the "moderation" theime though in practice it is more like glutony. 

I recall asking a nurse about dietary recommendations after getting my cholesterol checked and she was actually horrified that I intended to eat red meat for lunch.  The diet recommendation was basically vegetarian.  I didn't go back to that doctor. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
The sticky wicket is for those of us who have a genetic issue that causes increased cholesterol.  I have a mutation in the ApoB100 gene and I could eat nothing but heart healthy and would still have somewhat high (220) cholesterol.  I know this for a fact because when my high cholesterol was first spotted at age 30, I ate an AHA Step 2 diet for six months straight to see if that would help.  It did not. Fish oil did not.  Only by taking prescription statins or using niacin is my cholesterol lowered to acceptable levels. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 04:49:07 PM »
Only by taking prescription statins or using niacin is my cholesterol lowered to acceptable levels. 

Statins and me do not get along.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »
Statins and me do not get along.

Boy, you should have seen me back when I was taking niacin.  I had to take it twice a day, 1000 mg.  About ten minutes after taking it, as it dissolved, I would flush all over my entire body, I would turn beet red from nose to tail, start sweating and I would itch all over.  This lasted for about ten minutes, typically.  I did this for five years, and would have to have liver function tests twice a year to make sure that it was not damaging my liver.  Fortunately, 40 mg. simvastatin does the job with no side effects.  I don't miss the niacin one bit.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »
For those who the statins help, and who can tolerate them they are a good drug. I have been through all of them. I am one of the very few people who has increased tinnitus from the statins. My tinnitus ratcheted up so badly I thought other people must surely hear the ringing. It was to the point I was having trouble sleeping. I thought I had found the answer when we hit the 4th statin, then I started having nightly dreams, very vivid dreams, the type that wake you up wondering what the hell just happened.

So now, I continue to do the old standby, gemfibrozil and have recently added zetia to it, watch my diet, (not sure that really matters in my case), and try to exercise at least 20 minutes daily. I believe it is inevitable I will have a heart attack, I am just trying to put it off as long as I can.

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
It did not. Fish oil did not.  Only by taking prescription statins or using niacin is my cholesterol lowered to acceptable levels. 

Niacin and me don't get along.
Doc gave me some of that stuff for lowering triglycerides, I took it for two days and felt like hot bugs were crawling under the skin of my face.

Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
Isn't niacin related to nicotine?  "Somebody" used to recommend it as part of an anti-smoking regime as a temporary substitute.

"Some other body" said it is a good biting insect repellent.  Makes your blood taste bad or something.

(Just off the top of my head from recollections deep down inside my wrinkled old cortex, and just to bring up the subject.)

Coffee-deprived Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:19:10 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.