Author Topic: Dean Koontz?  (Read 5185 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Dean Koontz?
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:11:28 PM »
So, I'm not a huge fan of his, but the Odd Thomas books are great.

Listening to an audiobook on the drive. Stopped for dinner. A few things occur to me (other than not being able to get ahold of big jake)

Previously I pegged Koontz as anti gun base on Odd Thomas repeated insistence that he doesn't like guns.

The latest book is loaded with references to survivalists preparing or civil war or government oppression being portrayed in a positive, heroic light. And, the lead character, although he doesn't like guns, recognizes their necessity in a world gone mad, and was lectured on the topic by a supporting character.

Is Koontz one of us?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: Dean Koontz?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »

Listening to an audiobook on the drive. Stopped for dinner. A few things occur to me (other than not being able to get ahold of big jake)

Previously I pegged Koontz as anti gun base on Odd Thomas repeated insistence that he doesn't like guns.

The latest book is loaded with references to survivalists preparing or civil war or government oppression being portrayed in a positive, heroic light. And, the lead character, although he doesn't like guns, recognizes their necessity in a world gone mad, and was lectured on the topic by a supporting character.

Is Koontz one of us?

Yes, I think he is.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »
I've read all of his books, and I don't think he is one of us.

He does a fair amount of research and really gets his characters into their roles even if that means making them preppers. My guess is that he follows trends and big news stories and uses that information in his books.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:22:48 PM »
There was one book One Door Away From Heaven in which avoiding the government is a major theme and government is portrayed as inimical to innocent people.  

So he's not unsympathetic at least.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
He definitely leans conservative and religious, unless he's able to divorce his entire body of fictional good guys and bad guys from his personal beliefs.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
Maybe he is fistful
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 07:35:19 PM »
Dads been a fan, and partially due to Koontz suspected leanings.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »
Koontz wrote Dark Rivers of the Heart in which a group of people must go underground to avoid an evil government sends out undercover squads to "clean up" and disappear people who trouble DC.
It's the last  and IIRC the only book of his I've read, that at the suggestion of my sister.
I think he's probably versatile enough to impute any attitude into his characters he thinks will flesh out the characters realistically.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »
Maybe he is fistful

fistful's prose would be much less, well, prosaic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Was able to find a fairly lengthy article from The American Spectator discussing the political angle of Koontz's work.

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/07/08/the-dean-of-suspense
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »
I look forward to reading that later, I'm jumping in again now from a rest station to tell you all about a scene in this audiobook. So evil bastards are nearly foiled by a concealed carrying preacher and his wife

They express outrage at the Government allowing people to carry weapons, keep in mind these are murderous Satanists

They make a comment about how the Bible says not to kill, and the lead character correct them about the distinction between murder and killing

I think he is one of us
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
There was one book One Door Away From Heaven in which avoiding the government is a major theme and government is portrayed as inimical to innocent people.  

So he's not unsympathetic at least.

See also Dark Rivers of the Heart

(Read because of a review, I think, in Reason.  That's the only Koontz I've read, with the exception of some very early science fiction stories in the genre magazine F&SF.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
fistful's prose would be much less, well, prosaic.

Well said!  That had a kind of poetry to it.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »
I think I've read most of his books, some are pretty good, some are meh. The stories all seem to have similar themes.
I never seen his writings as pro-gun or anti-gun... it seems his characters are more or less relying on luck and deity to watch over them instead of a tool.

His Odd Thomas series is good, I also like his Frankenstein series.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 10:39:24 PM »
I know I've read something he's written but danged if I can figure out what it was. Likely SF genre but I can't figure it out. ???
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 11:31:38 PM »
fistful's prose would be much less, well, Prozac.

FIFY
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 02:02:27 AM »
I remember hearing about this last year: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1767354/

Being a fan of the Odd Thomas series, I remember being anxious for April 2013 to get here.  Now it's come and gone and what happened?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »
Film is finished but no distribution deal yet
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »
One of the only Koontz books I've read is Watchers which arrived because I didn't mail back my "don't send it" postcard.  Come to think of it, that was how I got introduced to Ludlum and King.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 09:08:28 AM »
One of the only Koontz books I've read is Watchers which arrived because I didn't mail back my "don't send it" postcard.  Come to think of it, that was how I got introduced to Ludlum and King.

I really enjoyed that book and read a lot of Koonz afterward. It has been many years since i've read anything of his, he is so prolific that there are probably more than two dozen books he has written since I stopped reading him.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »
The wife of one of our members here had Mr. Koontz as an English teacher in high school right before he hit the big time.

His books are VERY hit and miss for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »

Is Koontz one of us?

Read Dark Rivers of the Heart. Basically, he called today's news. Tick Tock is excellent, and much more upbeat/funny.

His personal beliefs are his own business. Guy writes well, and doesn't bash his beliefs over other folks' heads.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 12:38:42 AM »
I like his Frankenstein series and Odd Thomas.  I've read a number of his other books.  I have always liked how he usually includes a dog of some kind in his stories.  I don't recall being overly illuminated as to his firearm position.  I usually can remember when a particular author comes from a left wing aspect.  In fact a good deal of them do.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
I like his Frankenstein series and Odd Thomas.  I've read a number of his other books.  I have always liked how he usually includes a dog of some kind in his stories.  I don't recall being overly illuminated as to his firearm position.  I usually can remember when a particular author comes from a left wing aspect.  In fact a good deal of them do.

The first of his Frankenstein books was also made into a direct-to-video movie.  Koontz isn't mentioned anywhere, but it's obviously his story. I picked it up for $1.99 in the used bin at Blockbuster some years ago.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
I've read everything he's written, always been a fan, think there were only two that I did NOT like. The Odd Thomas series is probably his best work to date. I've never taken him to be anti-gun at all. In fact, one of the things I like about him is that he seems to be right in line with our way of thinking. Most of his stories have themes of "can't trust the government," "think for yourself," "stand on your own two feet," and "do the right thing even if it hurts."
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe