Author Topic: Signs of the Times, Umpteenth Edition: Sneaker Pawn Shop  (Read 2937 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Signs of the Times, Umpteenth Edition: Sneaker Pawn Shop
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/teen-opens-pawn-shop-for-sneakers-108170991002.html

Basketball sneakers can sell and re-sell for hundreds of dollars, depending on the shoe model, how limited the production run was, and how easy it is to find a pair in good condition. Sneaker Pawn carries shoes with price tags of more than $1,000.

I truly do not get the whole Sneaker thing. Granted as a High SPF Person who appreciates good footwear, I have been known to shell out up to $200 for a pair of boots that will last three or 4 years of 5-7 days wear per week.

But this seems like status symbol whoring to me. Correct me if I am wrong.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
Re: Signs of the Times, Umpteenth Edition: Sneaker Pawn Shop
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »
Sounds like a convenient fence for untraceable goods.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »
The duo decided to renovate the space in Harlem, where they had been living before moving elsewhere, into a retail location. And to pay for it all, Chase sold his own collection, bringing in about $30,000.

Imelda Marcos, move over.

I've got to hand it to the kid's father - holding the multi-hundred dollar shoes until the kid paid back the money he borrowed to buy them.  I'm seeing holding the kicks for ransom as possibly a better way of getting the kid to go out and get a job than saying "Wait until you earn your own money to buy them."  This way the kid is (should be?) less tempted to spend his money on something else.  It's sad that the Gimme-I Want Generation has come down to that.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »

Aside from John DeLorean, very few people have ever gone broke once they figured out a good way to pimp out a status symbol.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:29:52 PM »
Aside from John DeLorean, very few people have ever gone broke once they figured out a good way to pimp out a status symbol.

John didn't quite pimp out his status symbol enough.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
Same with the entire "Fresh" hat thing, "Bling", and "Pimp my Ride".

It's the ghetto equivalent of Animal Courtship and Male Mating Displays, aka "Look at me, I'm rich baby."

However, if ghetto females have any sense (which the vast majority do not), they would realize that any male that devoted that much money to displays of wealth obviously does not have any or else they would not need to flaunt it, nor would they still be in ghetto.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:22:58 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »
Sounds like a convenient fence for untraceable goods.

^^ I think you're onto something there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 07:45:01 PM »

It's the ghetto equivalent of Animal Courtship and Male Mating Displays, aka "Look at me, I'm rich baby."

However, if ghetto females have any sense (which the vast majority do not), they would realize that any male that devoted that much money to displays of wealth obviously does not have any or else they would not need to flaunt it, nor would they still be in ghetto.

Not just the ghetto.  It's popular in urban "culture", that is to say among anyone who listens to rap etc. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
...  or else they would not need to flaunt it, nor would they still be in ghetto.

Disagree.

Seen too many males with all sorts of high amounts of cash on them still living and operating in the ghetto.  Only one had thought far enough ahead to buy his mom a new dress for Easter.

It was an obviously cheap crappy one, which might have contributed to the fact that she turned him in.  That and the $1000 Tip Line reward.  (Don't diss mom!)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 06:15:08 AM »

This phenomenon is not limited to the ghetto. Non-ghetto status symbols include different but still-expensive cars, houses in the nice part of the city, fashionable clothes, large bank accounts, etc. Competitive acquisition is universal.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
This phenomenon is not limited to the ghetto. Non-ghetto status symbols include different but still-expensive cars, houses in the nice part of the city, fashionable clothes, large bank accounts, etc. Competitive acquisition is universal.

Yes, but it's done after basic needs, and self-sufficiency are met. So there's still a difference IMO.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
Yes, but it's done after basic needs, and self-sufficiency are met. So there's still a difference IMO.

Meh. Not always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

There were a lot of home foreclosures in the "nice" neighborhoods.  And on the flip side, I don't see the folks in the ghetto with nice sneakers starving, or sleeping in their Escalade's, so I would argue they have met their basic needs.  Just because they managed to do it with your money doesn't mean they weren't met.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 11:23:58 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/teen-opens-pawn-shop-for-sneakers-108170991002.html

I truly do not get the whole Sneaker thing. Granted as a High SPF Person who appreciates good footwear, I have been known to shell out up to $200 for a pair of boots that will last three or 4 years of 5-7 days wear per week.

You spend out the money for boots that you will actually use and work in, plus you buy one pair.

And you buy it with your own, legitimately earned money.

I think I've told this story before...

My cousin dated a basketball player at her university. He got her pregnant and dumped her. Later, when he got kicked out of his apartment she (dumbass) invited him to move in with her family out of the kindness of their hearts and because he was the father of the child. He wound up getting pissed off and running home to his mom and left a bunch of his stuff.

I went up to my cousin's house and stayed with them for a week. The room he had been staying in was full of shoes, it was over 30 pairs. Boxes and boxes and boxes of $200+ sneakers. Closets full of new clothes, flat brimmed hats everywhere, and because his job was manager of a shitty ass nightclub, a bunch of suits and such.

There had to be at least 6 grand plus of clothing in that room, yet the son of a bitch mother *expletive deleted*er didn't contribute a dime to the child's wellbeing. Ghetto trash...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 11:42:39 AM »
I went up to my cousin's house and stayed with them for a week. The room he had been staying in was full of shoes, it was over 30 pairs. Boxes and boxes and boxes of $200+ sneakers. Closets full of new clothes, flat brimmed hats everywhere, and because his job was manager of a shitty ass nightclub, a bunch of suits and such.

A trip to the worst laundromat in town with some leftover fiberglass insulation seems to be in order.  Dryers will distribute that stuff throughout the clothing pretty effectively.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 11:55:07 AM »

There is a huge difference between having stuff that you worked hard for and can afford and flaunting stuff that you can't afford.

A good corollary would be the middle class guy driving a 12 year old car worth a few thousand dollars home to a well kept and well maintained $150,000 house, while ghetto trash drive a $40,000 escalade/mercedes/lexus  to their squalid broken down house in a garbage strewn yard.

There is an idiom that comes to mind: Big hat, no cattle.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:00:53 PM by brimic »

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
There is a huge difference between having stuff that you worked hard for and can afford and flaunting stuff that you can't afford.

Considering the number of cars repo'd in nice neighborhoods, I'd have to say it still spans socioeconomic classes.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »
A good corollary would be the middle class guy driving a 12 year old car worth a few thousand dollars home to a well kept and well maintained $150,000 house, while ghetto trash drive a $40,000 escalade/mercedes/lexus  to their squalid broken down house in a garbage strewn yard.

The funny thing is that Ghetto trash have a lot harder time getting credit, and middle class folks are WAY more often financing their cars.  You seem more annoyed that the ghetto folks have chosen different status symbols to concentrate on.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
The funny thing is that Ghetto trash have a lot harder time getting credit, and middle class folks are WAY more often financing their cars.  You seem more annoyed that the ghetto folks have chosen different status symbols to concentrate on.

There is an element of that, I think. 

Still, the house should sell for about what you paid for it, inflation adjusted.  It maintains it's value.  The value of a $40k Escalade with spinners drops like a rock in relation, even worse if it's not maintained properly.

For that matter, the interest on a home is normally less than rent for all but the nastiest of ghetto places. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »
True on the value of the car.  Less so I think on the interest.  The interest I pay on my main house would rent my rental property, and I lived in that house for 10 years.  It's a nice little place.

But on the subject of status symbols: My Econ 101 teacher has a saying: Incentives Matter.

For the Ghetto folks (of all colors) we have set up a system where, if they are "poor" enough, the .gov will give them money, food, and housing.  Or at least parts of it.  The government, being mostly not ghetto folks, then set the benchmarks for "poor enough" by non ghetto norms. i.e. good job, own a house, bank accounts. Things like that.  We incentiveized NOT having traditional signs of wealth.  Incentives Matter.

So, because I really do think competition is hardwired into the human psyche the folks responded to that incentive and found ways to compete with their neighbors without loosing the free benefits. They pretty much made up new wealth symbols.  So we have wheels, shoes, clothes, cars and the like rising in this subculture.  It's not any different from the more traditional forms of wealth competition.

You can argue about "basic needs first" and debt all you want, but by and large the folks with shoes, suits and nice cars are demonstrably not starving, nor are they living in the streets.  I'm not sure what basic needs you feel they haven't met before they bought the kicks?

I understand, and agree, that the mooching they use to meet those needs is repugnant, but it is a pretty obvious response to the system and incentives Liberal White Guilt set up for poor america.  Out where near where I live it's a rough trailer, a $50,000 truck and $5000 worth of Duck Commander clothes.  In the city it's a Caddy, 30 pairs of Nike's and a different hat for every day. In my actual neighborhood it's $300,000 homes, more cars in the family than drivers, and Nice suits from Nordstroms.  Either way it's all the same dance.  I applaud the OP for finding a good way to profit from human nature.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
Still, the house should sell for about what you paid for it, inflation adjusted.  It maintains it's value.  The value of a $40k Escalade with spinners drops like a rock in relation, even worse if it's not maintained properly.

Also, very few people get drunk and destroy their house overnight.

Outside the ghetto, some of it comes down to working for a symbol; plenty of guys around here drive cars that would normally be well outside their means because they bought it with a blown engine or similar price-killing issue for less than the down payment on a working one would have been, then fixed it up themselves.  Harder to do that with a house, since the initial investment for anything but a burned out shell is going to be a lot harder to save up, and you can't exactly stick a 3/2 in the garage while you overhaul it one part at a time.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »
For the Ghetto folks (of all colors) we have set up a system where, if they are "poor" enough, the .gov will give them money, food, and housing.  Or at least parts of it.  The government, being mostly not ghetto folks, then set the benchmarks for "poor enough" by non ghetto norms. i.e. good job, own a house, bank accounts. Things like that.  We incentiveized NOT having traditional signs of wealth.  Incentives Matter.

I understand, and agree, that the mooching they use to meet those needs is repugnant, but it is a pretty obvious response to the system and incentives Liberal White Guilt set up for poor america.

I was part of 'poor america' growing up, as I'm sure many others here have been.
Taking handouts in the form of welfare or food stamps was never an option.
If you were healthy enough to shovel *expletive deleted*it, mow a lawn, or clean a house, you weren't poor enough to take a handout.

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 01:59:50 PM »
I was part of 'poor america' growing up, as I'm sure many others here have been.

Government cheese, and then food stamps was always the only option we allowed; keeping everybody fed was top priority.  Anything other than food, we'd borrow money (and then paying it back became the next priority below food) to cover it rather than taking the handout.  The concept of declaring anything beyond food, critical (and limited preventive - no point letting an infection take hold and then become critical at a vastly higher cost, for example) medical care, basic clothing and shelter to be so essential that it should even be possible to get it as a handout just makes my brain hurt.

Employment assistance, I'd put in a separate category, when done right.  More of an investment than a handout.  Still, like any investment, it should be done on a case by case basis with full attention to the needs and the potential of each case.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:46 PM »
If you were healthy enough to shovel *expletive deleted*it, mow a lawn, or clean a house, you weren't poor enough to take a handout.

Right, bubut that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for at least 30 years. Probably longer.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 01:12:20 PM »
Harder to do that with a house, since the initial investment for anything but a burned out shell is going to be a lot harder to save up, and you can't exactly stick a 3/2 in the garage while you overhaul it one part at a time.
It's no harder to do with a house than a car, it just takes longer.  Lotsa people, myself included, remodel our own houses.  Most do it for resale and profit.  I'm doing it because I want to live in a house that will eventually be well above my means.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
Right, bubut that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for at least 30 years. Probably longer.

Yep, long enough to get multi-generational families who have never known anything other than being on welfare for their entire lives.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!