Author Topic: Jerky  (Read 2418 times)

mfree

• friend
Re: Jerky
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 09:55:55 AM »
Dried ground beef?  Something about that just sounds so wrong.

It is wrong, frankly. Dried meat paste is the stuff you can get in the shrink-wrap packs at the supermarket. If you're making jerky, my god, use MEAT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »
Making jerky out of hamburger seems yucky to me.  I always thought jerky was thin sliced dried beefsteak.

I was thinking the same thing.  Dried ground beef?  Something about that just sounds so wrong.

Brad

as I said below, that's really thin summer sausage.

Tain't jerky, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 10:13:45 AM »
This is our local jerky source. Good stuff too. http://www.cattaneobros.com/

BMacklem

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 01:54:54 PM »
been a lurker here, and just had to add my recipie for jerky to the pot, if you will...
I use stew beef, and that seems to make some pretty decent jerky nuggets. (I know, that sounds wrong, but they are tasty)

I use a simple top down dehydrator with a fan, and that makes the stuff in a couple of hours, versus a standard convection type dehydrator, and the cost was about $45ish at walmart.

First I use a local brand meat marinade from ShoreLunch Brands called Whisky Au Jus.... it is delicious on its own for steak hamburgers, or whatever.

then I add a bit of chopped green onions(with one bulb diced finely, and the rest is about a half dozen or so stalks)

some diced roasted garlic (about a tablespoons worth)

and a bit of mesquite, and hickory liquid smoke.

Let the stew meat marinate for a couple of hours, and then spread the chunks on the trays (putting on a couple pieces of onion on the meat to add flavor as it dries)

put the top on the dehydrator, and a few hours later....viola...really fantastic beef jerky.

I challenge anyone to tell me that that recipie doesn't taste good Wink