Author Topic: Any Absinthe Drinkers  (Read 6611 times)

Wildalaska

• friend
Any Absinthe Drinkers
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:45:10 AM »
Any folks here play with the green fairy? Whats your brand.

I'm feeling Oscar wildish
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Any Absinthe Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:47:19 AM »
Holy crap, I didn't think you still hung out round these parts Wild. Welcome back.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:58:09 AM »
I tried it for the first time last week, thanks to a Czech friend who travels much.

Now, I understand the stuff is legal in the US, but she still felt it meet to import some on her last foray stateside.  A bottle of Becherovka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka

also made it with her.

So, on a singular night, I tried both.  I found the Absinthe to be rather relaxing, although the 60% ABV probably had as much to do with that as any supposedly-hallucinogenic compound.  Overall I was quite satisfied with my annual requirement for anise-flavored beverages.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:36:16 AM »
Any folks here play with the green fairy?
No, but I'd like to give 'er a try.

Oh, and welcome back.  =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:10:43 AM »
Minty licorice?  Meh.

I've tried it, and was unimpressed.  Either that or I was already blitzed from the Glenfiddich.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:07:26 AM »
The wormwood/thujone content in properly made Absinthe is quite low. It's really all the other herbal extracts which have many compounds that are related to caffeine and ephedra.

The net effect is a lucid buzz, similar to a strong Irish Coffee, Cauppichino and Sambuca, or any of the energy drink + alcohol concoctions that are now popular in clubs. Plus a healthy dose of psychosomatic reactions based on Absinthe's reputation, and feeding off any company you were keeping who were also imbibing.

What actually got Absinthe banned here in the States were low-end unscrupulous makers using heavy metals, chemical dyes and methanol to try and mimic Absinthe's strong alcohol content and unique color, and the way it would change from clear to cloudy when dispensed into water.

That, and Absinthe's association with less-than-stable artist types and bohemians did it in legislatively.
I promise not to duck.

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
What actually got Absinthe banned here in the States were low-end unscrupulous makers using heavy metals, chemical dyes and methanol to try and mimic Absinthe's strong alcohol content and unique color, and the way it would change from clear to cloudy when dispensed into water.

That, and Absinthe's association with less-than-stable artist types and bohemians did it in legislatively.

I've got no problem with item #1, but anything associated with item #2 needs to be banned... then killed with fire.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »
Yeah, I've tried it. Just a small sip though, but after what my friend said, I didn't expect much out of it. I had a friend buy 4 bottles of the stuff in Germany for other friend, he and his girlfriend finished off 2 or 3 of the bottles in one evening. Presumably because they expected some wild effects which never came. I do have my doubts about the alcohol content of those bottles though.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 12:46:18 PM »
Those sentence fragments can be killers! :P
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 06:46:44 PM »

I tried it.  Wasn't impressed.  Didn't care for the 'taste' and didn't have any effects.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »
Used to drink it on occasion in Japan. I do know that if enough is ingested it will double the number of balls on any pool table and make it difficult to tell which ones to shoot at and which ones to ignore.   =D :angel:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »
Heavy liquorish taste and a long lasting, lingering after taste that was not objectionable.  Just had a shot of it.  Not something I'd drink regularly. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:07:12 PM »
I prefer Lucid or Leupold Bros. Absinthe. Both are middling brands, neither cheap nor expensive, being about $70/bottle. Similar taste to Ouzo, much higher alcohol content. I prefer to drink it with sugar and water. I love the odd pearly color obtained by doing so.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Heh.  I remember an affair with ouzo.  Kept putting quarters in the "jukebox" and cigarettes kept coming out. =D =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 09:26:28 PM »
I tried it.  Wasn't impressed.  Didn't care for the 'taste' and didn't have any effects.

Ditto.  Still have most of a bottle of Partisane, which is not very good.  I've had several, with a friend who went through an absinthe phase.  The problem there was he was opposed to sweetener in any form.  I found it to be bitter enough that it was not at all enjoyable. 

The most fun part is mixing the stuff and watching the louche occur.  About all it's good for is for gaining credibility as cosmopoliton/interesting/non-girly with male law students, and it has served that purpose well on a couple of occasions.  Pretension in a bottle, right there, and I'm more than happy to exploit it.   =D

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
Heh.  I remember an affair with ouzo.  Kept putting quarters in the "jukebox" and cigarettes kept coming out. =D =D
I have always loved Ouzo.  No 12 is probably the best I've had, and it's probably the most common brand in Greece from what I've been told. 

Had a friend in college that went home to Greece for the summer.  She brought back some Tsiporo from her great-uncle for me.  It's basically Greek moonshine.  There's a wide range of styles, but his was similar to Ouzo.  Another friend of mine and I took to calling that stuff Jet A.  I think it was at least 90% alcohol.  Once it was cut back about 2-3:1 with water it actually tasted pretty good.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 10:35:51 PM »
I'm trying to recall the name for the blackish ouzo that contains opium tar... the name escapes me now, but when I was in Europe I had a partial shot - and a few minutes later, that was that.  :O

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 12:10:55 AM »
I love the flavor of anise.  I'm also rather fond of pretty much every type of liquor known to man.

I had a bit of Absinthe about 7 or 8 years ago when some friends got 'hold of it right around the time it became legal for sale in the states.  I hated it quite a bit.  Tasted like dirt more than anything else to me.  Awful foul crap.

On my wife's insistence we picked up a bottle of it almost a year ago.  I'm not going near it until she decides she wants to try it.  When that day comes I'll just sit back and laugh.  Told her it was an awful waste of money, but Nooooo, she wouldn't listen. :)

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 01:59:56 AM »
Holy crap, I didn't think you still hung out round these parts Wild. Welcome back.

Im everywhere :)

Anyway, Im an Ouzo freak, and since i am now wearing a cravat and bringing condensation to a new art, I figgered is time to cut off my ear.

I'm sooooooooooooooooo tempted to buy a sampler of the stuff made in like 1910. I need a 1900 Browning and a young street arab to make the night complete.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:03:57 AM by Wildalaska »
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »
I'm trying to recall the name for the blackish ouzo that contains opium tar... the name escapes me now, but when I was in Europe I had a partial shot - and a few minutes later, that was that.  :O

Unless it's some other digestif, you're thinking of Jagermeister. The presence of opiates is a very persistent urban/internet myth. It may also come from the fact that the strong licorice/anise flavor and other herbs (cloves perhaps) is somewhat numbing to the palate. Despite being much sweeter than other digestifs, it's reputation probably comes from the fact that due to it's strong taste, most people who consume it do so after imbibing other alcohol. It's only 70 proof.

I am a fan. I like the taste of all things spicy, licorice, and/or anise.

It is to be kept cold, and is best served at around -15C/0F.
I promise not to duck.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »
Unless it's some other digestif, you're thinking of Jagermeister.

No, I've never liked USA Jaegermeister - the flavor leaves a lot to be desired over the proper stuff. Here in the USA, I prefer the Hungarian alternative, Zwack.

As for the alcohol previously described, I'm absolutely, 100% certain it had opium tar. I know the taste - I've had laudanum.  =)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »

No, I've never liked USA Jaegermeister - the flavor leaves a lot to be desired over the proper stuff. Here in the USA, I prefer the Hungarian alternative, Zwack.

As for the alcohol previously described, I'm absolutely, 100% certain it had opium tar. I know the taste - I've had laudanum.  =)

=D Me too. It was an Rx anti-diarrhetic with a lot of opium in it for a really bad G.I. bug that I got as a teen. It was fun stuff.
I promise not to duck.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
Indeed it was... mine was from a pain doc that was told by the DEA he couldn't prescribe Oxycodone-containing products to those under 35 years old. He had fun figuring out the most exotic things to prescribe.  =D

I'm starting to think that the alcohol I had was simply a home-made brew, but served at the bar on a "who you know" basis.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »
Indeed it was... mine was from a pain doc that was told by the DEA he couldn't prescribe Oxycodone-containing products to those under 35 years old. He had fun figuring out the most exotic things to prescribe.  =D

I'm starting to think that the alcohol I had was simply a home-made brew, but served at the bar on a "who you know" basis.
Where was this bar? :angel:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila