Author Topic: Carly Fiorina announces Republican candidacy for POTUS  (Read 4281 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Carly Fiorina announces Republican candidacy for POTUS
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 01:47:10 PM »
One description of her time at HP (which I haven't researched, and won't until she seems to actually be a contender worth my time to research) is that she was willing to take the heat and make some unpopular changes that were necessary to advance the company (or at least allow it to survive.)

If true, that's the kind of person we need.

I don;t know if it was necessary.  The resulting company was nothing to write home about.  Just as middling, but bigger.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
Eh, it's debatable that HP is a "middling" company, but it's also largely irrelevant.  Fiorina saw HP through the dot com blowup.  The fact HP survived at all is no mean feat.

Fiorina started as a secretary and worked her way up to the very top of the ladder at AT&T/Lucent and then HP.  I don't know much about her politics, but her business chops are solid.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:17:57 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
I don't know much about her politics, but her business chops are solid.

Which is kind of an endorsement to Birdman's suggestion. It would nice to have a VP that actually did some work. Though I suspect her skills would serve much better in a few of the Secretary roles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 06:23:06 AM »
Which is kind of an endorsement to Birdman's suggestion. It would nice to have a VP that actually did some work. Though I suspect her skills would serve much better in a few of the Secretary roles.

Can anyone tell me what the VP's actual role is in the government?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 06:34:30 AM »

1.  They're the warm failover for the prez.
2.  They preside over the senate.
3.  Cast tiebreaking votes in the sentate.
4.  Molest the womenfolk.  Oh, sorry, that's a duty Creepy Rob Lowe Joe Biden created.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

They (hopefully) help the president to win elections.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »

The Vice President has little real power. However, he can take on a role as a political enforcer and close advisor to the president.

Or he can be the court jester. Clearly, we have the latter well illustrated these past 6+ years.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »
You forgot Assassination Insurance....in one of two ways.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 10:06:22 AM »
The VP's only job spelled out in the Constitution is to be the presiding officer of the Senate.  He/She only has a vote to break a tie.  Other than that the VP is the President's lackey.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »
One description of her time at HP (which I haven't researched, and won't until she seems to actually be a contender worth my time to research) is that she was willing to take the heat and make some unpopular changes that were necessary to advance the company (or at least allow it to survive.)

If true, that's the kind of person we need.

Partly true. She started as a management trainee at AT&T. Did alright to very good in middle senior management. HP packaged up all their old non-IT stuff and spun it off as Agilent Technologies. Which has done alright. There was some other... not hugely controversial but not great decisions. At HP, the merger with Compaq was a slow motion car crash and the pivotal moment of HP's slow decline ever since. In my opinion, she was a not terrible but not great CEO. She made a very bad call on the HP/Compaq deal. HP hasn't done well since.

I'm not a fan because she's a big believer in globalization, offshoring and H1B expansion. Very much a "this quarter earnings", and not a long term strategist. I wouldn't want her as a president. I have no doubts she would do good things for shareholders, but I'd expect very much an attitude of "kick the American workers in the nuts until things work out."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »
Per McCain, the job of Veep is to inquire daily about the health of POTUS, and to attend the funerals of third-world leaders.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.