Author Topic: Gas or Electric clothes dryers?  (Read 850 times)

jeepmor

• friend
Gas or Electric clothes dryers?
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:55:43 AM »
I currently have a electric dryer that (I would not be surprised if it was 20 years old) is finally giving up.  I've replaced the heating element once and torn into the rotary switch once with a points file to keep it going, both instances was money and time well spent.  I recently installed a tankless water heater and extended my gas line from the furnace to run it.  That was expensive by the way, got a steal on the water heater  (1/3 retail on Craigslist, installed, but never ran), but the vent line is stainless and pretty pricey. 

Anyhow, I'm considering the move to a gas dryer because the per use cost is lower and extending the line would only cost me about $50 bucks and maybe an hour to install.  I'm buying a new dryer anyway.  The newer models, at about the $500 price point have moisture sensors in them that should save me some bucks too.  This will be my minimum requirement of a dryer for lower operating costs.

Anyone out there make this switch.  My wife and I looked at new dryers today and think it's the way we're going to go, but I wanted some real world chime ins if possible instead of a bunch of magazine ad type articles telling me it's the thing to do. 

any input appreciated.

I
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Gas or Electric clothes dryers?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:35:01 AM »
In most cases gas driers are more efficient. You might want to look at a washing machine that spins at a higher rpm to remove more of the water as well. That reduces the amount of drying required by a lot.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

JohnBT

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:52:28 AM »
I've had a Sears gas dryer with a moisture sensor for 21 years. Do it. Once you figure out the precise moisture setting (on a scale of Less Dry to More Dry) your permanent press stuff will come out looking great (if you take it out and hang it up as soon as it finishes.)

John

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:00:32 AM »
I already have a Fisher and Paykel washer that spins at 1000 rpm versus the usual 600 rpm of older models.  I think some of the newer models and competitors go even higher, up to 1250 rpm IIRC.

I really like the moisture sensor design, pretty silly they all don't have them if you ask me. 

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 04:35:01 AM »
Gas driers are terrific.  If I was not skeered chickenshiite about playing with gas pipe, I would extend mine toward my laundry facilities area.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 05:25:55 PM »
Are you planning on staying where you are for a while? My mom put it this way: there won't always be a gas hookup, but there will always be an outlet.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 07:24:03 PM »
Gasline is not much more difficult to run the waterline (spray some soapy water on/around the connections, and just remember that "Bubbles are trouble.")

Rather then buying new, see if there's a "Used" Appliance store nearby.  Over the last couple years during the "Flip This House" craziness alot of people upgraded the appliances in houses.  Some of these appliances were only a couple of year(s) old.  I got a second second washer and gas dryer for $100 (they are a Whirlpool 'Stack 'em in an apartment closet combo') and installed them myself for another $20~ in fittings and hoses.    It takes half the time to get the laundry done. 

Now, if I could just get my teenage daughter to stop changing clothes 48 times per day......... rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:05:47 PM »
good input folks, thanks.

As for running gas lines, it is easier than one would expect.  I used Gastite (brand name) fittings and normal old 3/4" pipe fitting to extend my furnace gas line across a wall to my the mentioned tankless water heater.  It was a couple more fittings, about $50 total and I had a piece of gastite pipe left over from the tankless install to get this done.  I have not connected the fittings yet, but having done it once already, the initimidation factor of blowing up my dwelling is gone.

I particularly like the used angle.  Living in the Portland, OR area, the house flipping frenzy has been pretty rampant and finding a good used gas dryer will probably save me more than a few dollars.  And I have no intention of removing the existing 220VAC dryer connection because I have a welder that I run from it.  So the next folks that buy the house down the line will have both options available to them.

I'll probably start on it this weekend.  This is a uniquely small project in my house for I am currently tearing out my 500sqft deck and putting in a similar sized concrete patio.  Concrete stamping is expensive, but the added value to the house will exceed the cost, so that's good.

Thanks again folks,
jeepmor