Author Topic: War on Ice coming?  (Read 2007 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
War on Ice coming?
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:32:14 AM »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Robert Gates fractured his right shoulder after slipping on ice in front of his Washington, D.C. home on Tuesday evening, the Pentagon said on Wednesday.

He received medical care at Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Wednesday morning and is continuing to fulfill duties of his job, said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman.

But Gates, 64, will not appear at a congressional hearing on the U.S. defense budget scheduled for Wednesday morning. Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England will attend the hearing instead.

The Washington, D.C., area has been hit by icy weather over the last two days.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1333840420080213

What will be the correct response? I'm picturing B-52s loading up with salt.   smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: War on Ice coming?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:44:30 AM »
I took a header on my steps last night when I got home, too.

Bruised my leg pretty good.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:47:27 AM »
I slipped on the ice on Monday walking from the bus stop to work. My knee is still sore from landing on it.

I haven't seen the grass in my yard since Dec 2nd.

I wish it would get warm enough long enough to melt all the ice and snowpack on the sidewalks.

I also hate people that don't shovel their sidewalks or only shovel them once in a while.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:49:05 AM »
The only thing I've really minded with ice is the #$%!heads who don't clean snow and ice off the top of their car, and let the wind at highway speed take it off.

Nothing like dodging a board-sized chunk of ice flying at you at 65mph...

For walking on ice, I keep a pair of YakTrax in the car to pull over shoes, and also have an old pair of Swiss army ice creepers for serious stuff.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:23:37 AM »
I'm already emitting as much greenhouse gas as I know how to do without just switching to an all-chili diet.
I'm doing my part to end the scourge of ice.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:29:26 AM »
The only thing I've really minded with ice is the #$%!heads who don't clean snow and ice off the top of their car, and let the wind at highway speed take it off.

It DOES discourage people from following TOO close . . . 

One of the funniest winter driving incidents I remember from when I lived up North happened when a guy decided not to clear the 12" - 15" of snow off the roof of his car . . . when he stopped, it all suddenly slipped forward . . . ending on his windshield . . . grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:40:40 AM »

It DOES discourage people from following TOO close . . . 

One of the funniest winter driving incidents I remember from when I lived up North happened when a guy decided not to clear the 12" - 15" of snow off the roof of his car . . . when he stopped, it all suddenly slipped forward . . . ending on his windshield . . . grin

I was many car lengths behind. It went up in the air like an airplane wing, out of control.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 06:41:20 AM »
I took a header on my steps last night when I got home, too.

Bruised my leg pretty good.

Since you're uninjured, I'll giggle now....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:59:20 AM »
All this ice is a terrist plot Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

doc2rn

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »
Global warming sure is cold.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »
I was a victim of a flash freeze yesterday.  Driving down to Indy when my entire front windshield became coated with ice.

Somehow I've got to have Al Gore live here from December to early March.  That way "Global Warming" will be deader than the Ice Age of the '70s.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

BridgeWalker

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »
He shoulda' been ticketed.  It's his own responsibility to stay upright at all times.  If he can't do that, he shouldn't be clutterig up public sidewalks.  angel

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »
That's why it's now climate change.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 05:10:29 PM »
That's why it's now climate change.

Yes, they rebranded when the market changed, like Kentucky Fried is now KFC. Gotta sell those carbon credits.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 01:12:02 AM »
That's ok, I was just talking with a guy about how the greenies like using wood in their construction because it "permanently locks away carbon".  rolleyes

cheesy

I trust the concrete wasn't too badly damaged by the contact with your head?  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 10:33:27 AM »
gates did it because he did not want to testify before congress. Smiley
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.