Author Topic: Want: New Home Network based on:  (Read 1683 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Want: New Home Network based on:
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »
I want one box with actual hard drives in it.

A terabyte volume for data (archived software, DVR content, etc).
A 500+GB volume for "home" data.  Documents, images, software projects, etc.
A terabyte volume for backing up particular data from the other two locations.
This box will have a TV Tuner card, also.

Then, I want a few thin-ish clients around the house.  I want them to boot from little USB flash drives (no internal HDD) or possibly even over PXE and TFTP, and mount the software/DVR volume over the network.  Then boot to a generic guest account automatically and connect to a MythTV environment. 

I want the ability to log out that guest account on demand, and log in to a user-specific environment (root, me, etc).

Can I install Ubuntu or another distro to a USB flash drive?  Or do I have to get a SATA/IDE adapter doo-dad like G98 was doing awhile ago?  I think a local flash drive would perform better for my multimedia objectives than a PXE/TFTP environment.

I want /home and another location (/tv, probably) to be mounted either via NFS or iSCSI.  I think iSCSI can only be connected to a 1:1 ratio over the network (only 1 client can connect to an iSCSI resource at a time, IIRC), so probably NFS.  I want authentication to be controlled from a central resource (the box that has HDD's will run some LDAP or similar authentication mechanism).

And:  Anyone have any knowledgeable work-arounds for the fact that NetFlix on demand doesn't work on Linux?  Aside from a virtualPC installation?  I guess I could have a default "guest" account for mythTV related use, and a logout/login process for a user called "netflix" that launches a VirtualBox VM in full screen mode, but if that user logs in at more than one terminal in the network then I could have problems with the VM.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Want: New Home Network based on:
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »
Anyone have any knowledgeable work-arounds for the fact that NetFlix on demand doesn't work on Linux?

Run Windows.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »
Run Windows.

Brad

How about WINE?(if that's not perverse enough for you, I don't know what would be)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:27 PM »
To my knowledge and research so far, Netflix requires MS Silverlight.

The open source equivalent, Moonlight, refuses to implement DRM management.  So, it won't work with Silverlight applications.

I'm curious if anyone knows of efforts to integrate Moonlight with DRM to achieve voluntary compatibility with Netflix?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:32 PM »
I read some speculation yesterday that MS is abandoning Silverlight.  If I run across it again I'll post a link.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
I read some speculation yesterday that MS is abandoning Silverlight.  If I run across it again I'll post a link.

Good.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:12:03 PM »
To my knowledge and research so far, Netflix requires MS Silverlight.

The open source equivalent, Moonlight, refuses to implement DRM management.  So, it won't work with Silverlight applications.

I'm curious if anyone knows of efforts to integrate Moonlight with DRM to achieve voluntary compatibility with Netflix?

I thought you could get a silverlight plug-in for firefox, maybe try that?
Look, tiny text!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 11:39:58 PM »

http://techrights.org/2010/08/23/silverlight-dying/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
There's a Netflix app for Android on the way, so I would guess Android's big brother Linux won't be far behind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:17:46 AM »
Run Windows.

Brad

Considering this, but:

One of the goals is relatively diskless remote machines operating off of a central data repository.  Either flash or PXE boot.  Identical profile regardless of where you log in.  Central authentication store.

-Can Win7 be installed onto a small-ish thumb drive?  I want to avoid hard drives on the remote computers.
-To my knowledge, Win7 cannot use a central auth store without implementing a WinServer with AD.

Anyone know which PC remote controls work well with MythTV?
--Lysander Spooner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »
My generic MCE remote works great with mythbuntu.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57:12 PM »
I just ordered a 1.5TB hard drive from NewEgg for this project.

It was $69, free shipping.

Holy Schnikey, drive space is teh ubercheep.
--Lysander Spooner

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
something in a nice ssd, either PCIe or sata will leave flash drives(yeah yeah same thing but the interface if faster) in the dust. =D