Author Topic: Climate change = settled science  (Read 758 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Climate change = settled science
« on: March 30, 2017, 05:33:43 AM »
Except that, if it's "settled science," why do fewer than 1 percent of the articles follow the scientific method?

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/03/29/j-scott-armstrong-fraction-1-papers-scientific-journals-follow-scientific-method/

Oh ... "follow the money."

Digging deeper into their motivations, Armstrong pointed to the wealth of incentives for publishing papers with politically convenient rather than scientific conclusions.

“They’re rewarded for doing non-scientific research. One of my favourite examples is testing statistical significance – that’s invalid. It’s been over 100 years we’ve been fighting the fight against that. Even its inventor thought it wasn’t going to amount to anything. You can be rewarded then, for following an invalid [method].”

“I’ve [gone through] my whole career, with lots of publications, and I’ve never gotten a research grant. And I’m proud of that now.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Climate change = settled science
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder what his methods were in reaching this conclusion?   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Climate change = settled science
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:05:15 AM »
Well, I've shot my wad* on the climate change aspect of non-science nonsense, but it used to irk me no end in other journal articles and "studies" where finding "no significant difference" somehow resulted in reporting the results as there being "no difference."

Inferential statistics don't work that way.

I'm sure Ben can chime in on this one and what rejecting the null hypothesis actually means.

I railed and ranted directly to Dr. Linus Pauling about this and basically, he answered:  "Yup."

Terry, 230RN

*REF:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=54033.msg1100187;topicseen#msg1100187
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:24:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.