Author Topic: Draft of the 2008 Democratic platform -- Gun stuff  (Read 3264 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Draft of the 2008 Democratic platform -- Gun stuff
« on: August 08, 2008, 09:19:55 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=118x182811

Keeping my eye on the enemy.

This could be a good thing.
12 We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition,
13 and we will preserve Americans continued Second Amendment right to own and use
14 firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but
15 we know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together
16 to enact and enforce common-sense laws and improvements, like closing the gun show
17 loophole, improving our background check system and reinstating the assault weapons
18 ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals.
Acting responsibly
19 and with respect for differing views on this issue, we can both protect the constitutional
20 right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe."

Go ahead and use this platform.  Going to cost you a lot more than the White House, unless the smart ones in the party speak up.  Which they never do.  Could wind up being a good year for the Republicans. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Draft of the 2008 Democratic platform -- Gun stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
Only if the Republicans have the sense to HIT THEM HARD with it.

Point to that "Assault Weapon" legislation. Show an AR trophy match, and slap a BANNED logo across it. Show someone's grandfather telling a story to their grandkid about their Garand they carried up the beach, them taking out the well-preserved old rifle, starting to say "It's yours now", slap a BANNED logo across it.

Then use footage of the recent gang documentaries where LA gangs are openly showing off already-illegal SBRs, mention that THEY won't obey the law, just like they don't, now...and the only person this would hurt is you, the law-abiding American. (Voiceover: This gang member is carrying an illegal short-barreled rifle, which, under federal law, is already a mandatory ten year prison sentence. He does not care, because he doesn't value his own life, or yours. Nor will he obey any new law. Criminals like this do not obey laws.)

Then ask if that's what people want to vote for. People who don't trust you, the law-abiding American citizen.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:36:00 AM »
...Then ask if that's what people want to vote for. People who don't trust you, the law-abiding American citizen.

That's good stuff. And it would work. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to get on air. It makes too much sense. The last things politicians want on air is stuff that not only makes sense but it truth. The truth is anathema to them.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 06:51:27 AM »
I live in L.A.  Of course you are right.

But...

The fact is, the gangs, through their proxies, OWN Los Angeles.  Gangsterism is spreading.  The rule of the warlords, slowly but surely, is taking hold. 

How and why needs to be made public.  Is it political correctness?  Fear and intimidation?  Payoffs by the Mexican government, by the drug cartels?  Pandering for votes, not only present but future (post-amnesty)?

While they talk about new Assault Weapon Bans, the harsh reality is that every day the need for the law-abiding citizen to own his or her own AK-47, for the protection of self and family and friends, get closer to being a salient reality.  We need to think of the emerging America as a nation of warring tribes, not so different from Central America or the Middle East.  We keep the fantasy of the old America alive, but that America is now just a part, and no longer the biggest part, of the current society.

The war is not against the gangs but against the law-abiding, and the abiding imperative is to control US.  The rest is backdrop.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:42:04 AM »

Point to that "Assault Weapon" legislation. Show an AR trophy match, and slap a BANNED logo across it. Show someone's grandfather telling a story to their grandkid about their Garand they carried up the beach, them taking out the well-preserved old rifle, starting to say "It's yours now", slap a BANNED logo across it.

Then use footage of the recent gang documentaries where LA gangs are openly showing off already-illegal SBRs, mention that THEY won't obey the law, just like they don't, now...and the only person this would hurt is you, the law-abiding American. (Voiceover: This gang member is carrying an illegal short-barreled rifle, which, under federal law, is already a mandatory ten year prison sentence. He does not care, because he doesn't value his own life, or yours. Nor will he obey any new law. Criminals like this do not obey laws.)

Then ask if that's what people want to vote for. People who don't trust you, the law-abiding American citizen.
Folks, we here on APS can do that.  Teh intarwebz are belong to us, as well as the moveons.  Youtube, Youtube, Youtube.  I'm don't have any footage of an AR match, and am way too ugly and too young to appear as a grandfather, but I can learn to edit the vid and post it.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »

Folks, we here on APS can do that.  Teh intarwebz are belong to us, as well as the moveons.  Youtube, Youtube, Youtube.  I'm don't have any footage of an AR match, and am way too ugly and too young to appear as a grandfather, but I can learn to edit the vid and post it.

Get me good stock footage and I can do it, as long as I have a release form for the footage. I've done stuff for broadcast release, and I have the complete Final Cut Pro HD suite and libraries of licensed stock music. Need voiceover, too.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 07:36:58 AM »
With the recent Heller ruling would it even be possible for a new AWB to come about?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:52:18 AM »
With the recent Heller ruling would it even be possible for a new AWB to come about?

The same sorts who are not abiding by Heller will keep trying. Again, and again, and again.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »

Even with Heller, you have to remember that O is in favor of "common-sense" regulation.  You have but to wonder what the difference is between 'common-sense' gun regulation is in Chicago or DC vs Texas.  As seeker two says.  Heller is but a beachhead.

Go and read the posts from the OP link.  The kids on DU with the DNC would just shut up about it.  Many are RKBA, but some know that it will cost them.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

wacki

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:42:23 PM »

Way ahead of you pal:

http://obamagun.blogspot.com/2008/08/ban-and-confiscate-rifles-and-shotguns.html