Author Topic: Crawlspaces  (Read 1609 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Crawlspaces
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 06:41:29 PM »
Haven't you filled that thing with bodies yet?

Jeesh, get a move on!

That would increase the humidity to excessive levels.   Might smell unpleasant, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 06:52:38 PM »
If John Wayne Gacy could figure it out, I know Ben can do it! :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 06:55:53 PM »
Freeze dry.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2022, 06:57:06 PM »

I'll just get some lime from Mr Limehouse.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2022, 07:07:45 PM »
I just caught the edges of a documentary on Gacy.  Apart from filling up his crawlspace with them, he planted them all over the area including by the river.  Thirty-three total.

The crawlspace in my old farmhouse had a decent height to it.  You could "crouch" through it.  Even so, I hated replacing the water pump from the cistern.  That was one of those Sears kit houses.  All the structurals had ID numbers on them.  I say "all," but at least all I happened to look at.

This was very nearly the same as mine.  You'll notice the first floor was about three feet above ground level, hence the generous crawl space.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 07:22:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2022, 07:14:39 PM »
Also, &^%*$^% ((*@!!$^ !@#&%^$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After my last inspection, I ordered a humidity monitor with three remotes, thinking I would space them around the crawlspace to get a more accurate humidity reading in case my current remote is in a bad spot. At the time, I decided I wasn't going to go back into the stinkin' crawlspace yet again after only a couple of days and told myself I would install them this time.

I forgot to install them.  ;/ :mad: :mad:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2022, 07:15:49 PM »

Pier and beam = crawl space.

Or = basement.

The house I live in was built for my parents in 1950, on a tight budget. One of the places they scrimped was to have a full basement under half the house, and a crawlspace under the bedroom end. IMHO, that was NOT money saved wisely. There isn't a week goes by that I don't curse that crawspace, and wish I had that as full basement so I could use it to organize storage and have some space for a basement workshop.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2022, 07:25:57 PM »
Also, &^%*$^% ((*@!!$^ !@#&%^$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After my last inspection, I ordered a humidity monitor with three remotes, thinking I would space them around the crawlspace to get a more accurate humidity reading in case my current remote is in a bad spot. At the time, I decided I wasn't going to go back into the stinkin' crawlspace yet again after only a couple of days and told myself I would install them this time.

I forgot to install them.  ;/ :mad: :mad:

Well, you'da had to replace the batteries in them periodically anyhow.  So that's a silver lining.  So quitcher bellyachin'.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2022, 08:20:03 PM »
Well, you'da had to replace the batteries in them periodically anyhow.  So that's a silver lining.  So quitcher bellyachin'.

Two year batteries. The current one is going on three.  =)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2022, 10:30:32 PM »
periodically

I admire your scientific attitude.  I'm a mensuration nut and have placed sensors in weird places just because.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 01:58:56 AM by 230RN »

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2022, 10:35:47 PM »
This house was built in 1961 and I bought it in 2004.  Between 2005 and 2010, I got in the crawlspace and used the foil type duct tape to seal the joints on the ducts, then wrapped them with the foil-faced fiberglass to try and insulate them.  I also went through and put foam pipe wrap on the pipes that I could.  Unfortunately, many of the water pipes are mounted directly to the bottoms of the floor joists.  I started to put some of that R-10 pink styrofoam boards (2" thick) on the main plenum to keep more of the HVAC in the ducts.  I got as far as putting the pieces on the top of the plenum but stopped when someone more knowledgeable than me said my water pipes might freeze if I wrapped the entire plenum.  Those pipes on the joists would have no protection from the cold, so that job was never finished.
I also put some low voltage lights in the front and put the transformer in the crawl, but I can't remember when I did that.  I don't believe that I have been down in over 7 years as there is no need to anymore.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 10:37:19 PM »
Yup.... Still enjoying my full basement, thanks for asking.    =D

Don't worry, I won't mention it as many times a Mike will inevitably tell us how awesome his pellet stove is this winter.  :P

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2022, 10:55:12 PM »

Me too, and an attic I can almost stand up in.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2022, 07:22:01 AM »

Don't worry, I won't mention it as many times a Mike will inevitably tell us how awesome his pellet stove is this winter.  :P

I have a pellet stove AND a full basement.

I'm *expletive deleted*ing golden.  >:D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2022, 07:26:41 AM »
Me too, and an attic I can almost stand up in.

That's the one thing there aren't a lot of in this area -- attics. At least not in the town homes or newer houses. Older houses have attics, or at least some storage space.

I thought about putting a floor in my attic area for storage, but the more I thought about it the more I thought how useless it would be because the scuttle is so small and it doesn't have a ladder.

Putting a floor in would have also severely impacted my ability to add more insulation up there, as there wasn't nearly enough.

So I said to hell with the floor and blew in an additional 25 or so inches of cellulose on top of the highly inadequate 4 to 6 inches that were already up there. Best decision I ever made. House is so much more comfortable.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2022, 07:54:02 AM »

I would have loved to have a basement. They seem more available on the East side of the state for some reason though.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2022, 05:59:46 PM »
I have a pellet stove AND a full basement.

I'm *expletive deleted*ing golden.  >:D

You can't kid us.  That's not gold.  I know that's only titanium nitride.

"Because of TiN's metallic gold color, it is used to coat costume jewelry and automotive trim for decorative purposes. --Wiki"

So now I wonder if you really have a pellet stove and a full basement.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2022, 08:02:01 PM »
That would increase the humidity to excessive levels.   Might smell unpleasant, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYEMNHKP-Lw
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2022, 08:16:10 AM »
You can't kid us.  That's not gold.  I know that's only titanium nitride.

"Because of TiN's metallic gold color, it is used to coat costume jewelry and automotive trim for decorative purposes. --Wiki"

So now I wonder if you really have a pellet stove and a full basement.

Speaking of TiN, back when I worked for American Rifleman I was given a bunch of TiN-coated neck expander balls in various calibers. I kept the .30, .243, and 6.5mm ones and parceled the rest out.

Those things were the schnizzle.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2022, 08:17:20 AM »

Speaking of TiN, back when I worked for American Rifleman I was given a bunch of TiN-coated neck expander balls in various calibers. I kept the .30, .243, and 6.5mm ones and parceled the rest out.

Those things were the schnizzle.

I wish I had gold expander balls...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2022, 08:58:05 AM »
Why? Are yours blue?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2022, 11:51:27 AM »
I wish mine would shrink a bit! :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!