Author Topic: Vets...  (Read 3363 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Vets...
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Vets...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:15:07 PM »
Thank you.

Shows my ignorance. I never knew I couldn't salute the flag.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:16 PM »
I like the idea, but I must admit that I would feel a little odd doing it.  I've been out of the Corps for 30 years this year.  (Damn, it's been that long?)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »
And this was an issue because....?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 04:03:46 AM »
And this was an issue because....?

And your question was asked why...?

I'm betting it wasn't an "issue", as you put it.  Just some vets preferred to salute the flag rather than place their hands over their hearts.  They contacted their congresscritter, and so on...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 07:01:10 AM »
I'm with the would feel awkward crowd, if some people want to salute, fine by me.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
I'm used to saluting when in uniform amd placing my hand (or hat if wearing one) over my heart when not in uniform.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
I like the idea, but I must admit that I would feel a little odd doing it.  I've been out of the Corps for 30 years this year.  (Damn, it's been that long?)

11 here.  It seems like only yesterday I was shaking at the POA next to my footlocker....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:54:25 PM »
23 years since I got out of the Navy. 35 Since I got out of the Army.

Memories...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
While I'm a veteran, I wouldn't salute the flag unless I was in uniform. I guess that I'm a traditionalist and abide by the rules I've been taught.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »
I'm ambivalent.

I can see wanting to salute the flag, but only if done properly.

I've had to resist the urge to salute, but now it's ok to do either.

It may cause some confusion, or it may just be a way of letting folks know who the veterans are at a baseball game.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »
It may cause some confusion, or it may just be a way of letting folks know who the veterans are at a baseball game.   =D

That's pretty much it.  =D

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 11:32:15 PM »

I'm with Hawkmoon here in that I have been, for the 26 years since my discharge, under the impression that veterans were allowed and active-duty SMs were required to render the hand salute rather than place the hand over the heart. I'm doing some research on it because I'm sure I read it in the Code long ago. So far what I've found hasn't backed up my (admittedly faulty) memory, but has made me wonder why this amendment was added to a FY2009 bill (which must have passed in mid-'08) when several sites note that just such an amendment to a bill was passed in 2007.

*edit*

Interesting. Found a site called Govtrack that keeps up with legislation and it says there that the bill (National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009) never became law, and since the 110th Congress has ended its session the bill was cleared from the books. Checking a link to the bill's info at the Library of Congress confirms.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:37:10 PM by Uncle Bubba »
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:48:16 AM »
I'm with the would feel awkward crowd, if some people want to salute, fine by me.

I'm in the same boat.  I'm not in uniform, I'm not saluting anyone or anything.  Period.  Not saying other people shouldn't or should, that's up to them. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

greenr18

• Si vis pacem parabellum
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »
Wait you need permission to do something other than have your hand over your heart? Wow I'm confused I thought we were living in America. Hippies can burn the flag but veterans needed permission from someone to salute it? Wooow.
"That is not dead which can eternally lie, and with strange eons even death may die." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft
"Blood must be spilled, thick enough to swim in as I hear the lamentations of my conquered foes' women!" - Thundercleese

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 10:48:17 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I'm not in uniform, I'm not saluting anyone or anything.  Period.  Not saying other people shouldn't or should, that's up to them. 

Yep. I always just stood at attention during the National Anthem and such.

Wait you need permission to do something other than have your hand over your heart? Wow I'm confused I thought we were living in America. Hippies can burn the flag but veterans needed permission from someone to salute it? Wooow.

Vets generally care about treating the flag with respect.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »
I don't salute in civvies.  I have not worn the uniform for 33 years.  I continue placing my hand over my heart when appropriate....chris3

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »
Gee, it's only been 29 years for me. You guys are making me feel so young:laugh: