Author Topic: Veterinary costs (ouch!)  (Read 1173 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Veterinary costs (ouch!)
« on: July 03, 2006, 02:01:21 PM »
Our dog has always had some sort of health problems: allergies, kidney problems, etc.

Back in 2003, I had a lot of tests, physical therapy, and other stuff for my back. We have good insurance, so it didn't cost us much out of pocket.

That same year, we spent about $2500 on veterinary bills for our dog.

Today I took the dog to the vet because he's limping (the dog, not the vet).

The vet did an x-ray to see if there was any metal in the paw. Nothing. Did a blood test, which showed an infection. Gave me some anti-biotic pills and anti-inflammatory pills.

Total cost: $196.66.

If that was the only cost for the year, it wouldn't be bad. But there's vet bills every two weeks.

Our dog is now ten years old. I hope he lives another five or six, as he's the best dog we've ever had.

Next time around, though, I'm getting doggie health insurance.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Veterinary costs (ouch!)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »
Sorry 'bout your little buddy. Since I grew up on a ranch I will refrain from any advice this matter as it will seem cold and heartless.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Veterinary costs (ouch!)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 04:41:24 PM »
That same year, we spent about $2500 on veterinary bills for our dog.
OUCH!  But I understand spending the $$$ on the animal.  'Bout the same time, I had to deal with a series of blocked urethras on one Humane Society rescue cat that lead to a gender changing surgery for the animal and a total tab > $5000.  (No, I'm not made of money.  I just don't have kids)  

I don't regret it one iota. Even when the hoser is harking up hairballs behind the bed in the middle of the night.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Veterinary costs (ouch!)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 05:25:24 PM »
Ditto Brad.

Well, sort of.
We learned to do alot of animal husbandry ourselves.  All shots, 'most everything gets ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith or some Equine supply house.

And when  they get feline leukemia or the puppy gets Parvo or Corona, yeah, we'll put out the $300 bucks for a couple of nights in the Puppy ICU.

But if they don't make it, we sort of grieve for about 45 seconds, use it as a teaching moment for the kids (a la Robert Fulghum-- lightning bugs and butterflies, puppies, kitties and you and me...we all die.  It's part of the Great Circle of Life).

Despite all this circumspection and perspective,
...my wife is going to have a nuclear ComeApart when her 11 year old tabby dies. rolleyes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Veterinary costs (ouch!)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 09:03:13 PM »
Right before Christmas I dropped nearly $3,000 on my one dog, even though at the time of the emergency surgery the vet's prognosis was extremely poor.

I'm glad I did -- the surgery saved her life, and she didn't have cancer. My best friend is at my side as I type this.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Veterinary costs (ouch!)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 07:05:33 AM »
We recently spent $ 2300 on the cat to have a workup of a gastrointestinal tract problem.  All paid in cash at the time of service.  This included a gastric endoscopy at $ 675.  I mentioned this at work to one of my gastroenterologists.  He pointed out that to do a similiar procedure on a human, Medicare paid him $ 525.  We are wondering if opening a veterinary hospital may be a profitable sideline for our clinic.

PS: And I did not mention to the wife that a .22 LR round only costs a few cents.  She knows where the key to the gunlocker is, and I would be afraid that she would test the .22 cost theory out on me!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.