Author Topic: very weird annoying computer problem  (Read 2022 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
very weird annoying computer problem
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »
the cursor wont stay still, it "falls" ... meaning its dang difficult to click on something I have to keep playing with it as I cant hover over anything...I guess I need a new mouse?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: very weird annoying computer problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:09:55 PM »
First, questons: Laptop or desktop? (Laptop, I'm guessing) External mouse for your hand, or integrated pointer nubbin, or trackpad?

Usually there's a sensitivity setting that can stop this, only more vigorous purposeful movement from your hand or fingers will move the cursor, or if it's an integrated mouse-device in the laptop, there might be a recalibration option to re-center it.

Although the Thinkpad/Toshiba style nubbin pointer that sits between the G, H, and B keys, those can be pushed/bent so hard they'll take a permanent set and just track in the direction they were broken forever.  :P
I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »
Track ball? If so, clean the inside
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »
Is is lazer or does it have a roller?
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »
Just take it out to the range. [ar15]
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:04:32 AM »
Is it a Thinkpad with the red joystick-like mouse button thing in the middle of the keyboard?  Let it wander across the screen, and it'll stop when it gets tired and then behave again.

ETA:
MEMO

Re: Replacement of Mouse Balls.

If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Units). Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items.

Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:11:26 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 12:47:56 AM »
its an acer mouse, a dell laptop called inspirion - it seems to have stopped after I restarted it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:06:25 AM »
If your Inspiron has one of those aforementioned little joystick nubs on the keyboard, I believe those calibrate during boot, whether when the driver loads up or earlier in the boot process. If you happened to have been bumping it during that point of the boot cycle it probably calibrated the bumped position as "center." Rebooting would have it cleared it up as it would have re-calibrated.

If your laptop just has a touchpad and the attached mouse, I have no ideas that match the reboot fixing it, other than just general laptop zaniness.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 01:07:39 AM »
Just don't get annoyed about it...   =D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 06:27:26 AM »
Too late, I am already annoyed.  And it's not even my mouse.

Good thing that you got it going again, gs.  Sometimes just unplugging it and plugging back in will clear up those funny little USB mouse issues.  And if you do end up buying a new one, the darn things are cheap these days so you won't be too badly out of pocket.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:46:11 AM »
Inspirons have an issue with the mouse (nubbin or touchpad) that cause this.  Sometimes it goes away, other times it lasts until you replace the keyboard assembly.

Until this year, I used an Inspiron as my work laptop since the late 90s (or whenever they came out, don't recall if my first Dell laptops were Inspiron).

Chris

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »
Talk it out of quitting coffee?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

2nd_to_one

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
One more thing that no one mentioned.  In most laptop drivers for touchpads or pointing sticks it is possible to tell the driver to shut off the built in device(s) in the presence of an external device (mouse).  If the problem is indeed related to the built in pointing device(s) then this would at least prevent it when the mouse is plugged in.

Steve

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »
Talk it out of quitting coffee?

:rofl:

it said NEVER!!

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 06:58:24 PM »
One more thing that no one mentioned.  In most laptop drivers for touchpads or pointing sticks it is possible to tell the driver to shut off the built in device(s) in the presence of an external device (mouse).  If the problem is indeed related to the built in pointing device(s) then this would at least prevent it when the mouse is plugged in.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks! you're an EE?? Cool, I need a device I can point at cars and turn off the loud rap music or other annoying stuff - can you make one? It doesn't have to be a portable EMP weapon...but if it was that would be awesome too!
 :cool:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »
I need a device I can point at cars and turn off the loud rap music or other annoying stuff -

It's called a shotgun.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 09:45:39 PM »
It's called a shotgun.

yess, a shotgun would do quite nicely...can we put an EMP weapon on it?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »

yess, a shotgun would do quite nicely...can we put an EMP weapon on it?

Special shells?  Maybe.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.