Author Topic: Veterans?  (Read 1885 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Veterans?
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:18:36 AM »
A question:

Since the presidency of Bush 2  it has been acceptable protocol for veterans, in or out of uniform, to salute for the National Anthem and/or Pledge of Allegiance. Articles I've seen on this gave me the impression that many ... perhaps even most ... veterans now choose to salute rather than place the right hand over the heart.

A couple of evenings ago I attended a fairly large meeting that began with both the National Anthem and the Pledge. I'm certain I could not have been the only veteran in the room, yet I was rather astonished to see that not one, single, solitary person rendered a military salute. I was going to but, being the shy retiring sort of person I am, I decided to go with the flow and do the hand on heart bit.

How many of you who are veterans know that it is now considered proper (and some even say preferable) for us to render a military salute for the Anthem or the Pledge (even when not in uniform)? Of those who know it ... how many of you do it?

Just curious.

eta:  removed nickname
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:55:22 AM by scout26 »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:38:23 AM »
As far as I thought, the hand salute isn't rendered out of uniform. I'd have to look it up.
VFW and etc do it but they're not governed by our regs
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
Re: Veterans?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:39:13 AM »
I do.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:58:13 AM »
As far as I thought, the hand salute isn't rendered out of uniform. I'd have to look it up.
VFW and etc do it but they're not governed by our regs

I have looked it up. http://www.military.com/flag-day/rules-for-saluting-us-flag.html

I'm curious as to how many veterans actually do it.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 05:10:20 AM »
I'm a Marine. We won't even salute uncovered (ie without a hat on ie any time we are indoors) let alone out of uniform.

I stand at attention and face the flag, personally. Just like when we went to the base theater and they played the Anthem but we couldn't salute as we're were either indoors or uncovered.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:43 AM »
I'm a Marine. We won't even salute uncovered (ie without a hat on ie any time we are indoors) let alone out of uniform.

I stand at attention and face the flag, personally. Just like when we went to the base theater and they played the Anthem but we couldn't salute as we're were either indoors or uncovered.

When were you in? As of October 14, 2008:

SEC. 595. MILITARY SALUTE FOR THE FLAG DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
                        BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES NOT IN
                        UNIFORM AND BY VETERANS.

Section 301(b)(1) of title 36, United States Code, is amended by
striking subparagraphs (A) through (C) and inserting the following new
subparagraphs:
                    ``(A) individuals in uniform should give the
                military salute at the first note of the anthem and
                maintain that position until the last note;
                    ``(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who
                are present but not in uniform may render the military
                salute in the manner provided for individuals in
                uniform; and

Subparagraph (A) does not include any exception for "indoors." Individuals in military uniform are supposed to salute.

Subparagraph (B) is optional ("may") but doesn't actually spell out any alternative, therefore it appears it may also be preferred.

Again, I am asking a two-part question: (1) How many veterans know about this change? (2) Of those who know about it, how many of you elect to salute rather than place the hand over the heart?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:44 AM »
I think my point is, hawkmoon, is that an amendment to ndaa that says they "may" salute  is less familiar to Soldiers than the army fm 7-21.13, which specifies a hand over the heart in place of a salute .
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »
!1) I've known about it for several years now, perhaps from when it first changed.  I learned about either at an AL metting or my gun club (many members are vets).

2) I render the hand salute.  In fact, I do so every Monday night at Boy Scouts as they post the colors at the beginning of the meeting and retire them at the end.  When I first learned of that we could salute, a friend pointed out that we had earned the privilege.   So now I do every time.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re: Re: Veterans?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »
When were you in? As of October 14, 2008:

Subparagraph (A) does not include any exception for "indoors." Individuals in military uniform are supposed to salute.

Subparagraph (B) is optional ("may") but doesn't actually spell out any alternative, therefore it appears it may also be preferred.

Again, I am asking a two-part question: (1) How many veterans know about this change? (2) Of those who know about it, how many of you elect to salute rather than place the hand over the heart?

Marine regulations, however , do specify a distinction for being indoors/uncovered, do they not?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:09 AM »
I just became aware of this but I still feel like I should be covered and in uniform to salute.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Even when under arms (duh! that's like 99.9% of the time) if I am not in uniform* the salute is rendered by placing the right hand over the left breast, or if wearing a hat by removing the hat and placing the hat over the left breast.

I do not give a good [expeltive deleted] [a few more expletives deleted] what those rule-writers say.  I am a vteran - as in I used to be but am no longer a <insert branch of service>.  That goes for folks who EAS'd and for those that retired from the service.  As far as I'm concerned (curmudgeon alert!) only active-duty and Reservists on drill/active duty are entitled to render the military hand salute.  Quasi-military organizations like firefighters and police have co-opted the hand salute and it will probably be impossible to take it away from them.  I do not see mail carriers or water meter readers (both wear uniforms that include a hat) rendering the hand salute - probably because they know better.

Why is skidmark such a curmudgeon about this, when in the big picture it is such a petty thing?  Because I see so many people who cannot be bothered to put down their cell phones or stop shoving a hot dog into their face when the National Anthem is played, or those that cannot be bothered to get up off their fat fourth point of contact when the flag passes in a parade.  I am not rendering honors because I am a used-to-be <insert branch of service> but because I am a citizen.**  Thus I do it like the rest of those [expletives - many of them - deleted] are supposed to.  Possibly I do it in the hope that if someone shows them how they will copy it.

For the record - I am proud of being a veteran, but it does not define me.  The Marines and I parted on such good terms that after they told me that even if I wanted to reenlist they would not take me (no bad time, one Article 15 that was to save me from civil suit for having done my duty, and an average 3.7 proficiency score over 5 1/4 years) they also told me to never refer to myself as a "former Marine" as they wanted to be done and through with me as opposed to that BS about "once a Marine always a Marine".***

stay safe.

* - When at a VFW or AL meeting and I have their hat on I consider that a uniform.  And I play by their rules in their house and render the hand salute.

** - I have seen visiting foreigners and overtly illegal aliens show more respect to the the flag than a whole lot of citizens do.

*** - Before my involuntary extension of enlistment, convenience of the government, I had already established my reputation as a royal pain who used the rules to get away with everything short of murder (never tried to murder anybody so don't know if I could have gotten away with it or not) while at the same time making them play by the rules. Secretaries and mid-level bureaucrats rule the world!
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »
Hey,  as long as someone is saluting the flag and not trying to burn it, I don't have a problem with it no matter what the circumstance or their military background.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
I've been out for 20 years.  Hand over the heart for me.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
When did the hand over the heart for the National Anthem start?   I don't ever remember that as a civilian thing.  That was only for the Pledge.  The Anthem was just stand respectfully and face the flag.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »
When did the hand over the heart for the National Anthem start?   I don't ever remember that as a civilian thing.  That was only for the Pledge.  The Anthem was just stand respectfully and face the flag.

I remember that at least as far back as elementary school.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
Hey,  as long as someone is saluting the flag and not trying to burn it, I don't have a problem with it no matter what the circumstance or their military background.

Brad

This.

I've been out for 20 years.  Hand over the heart for me.

This too.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
Marine regulations, however , do specify a distinction for being indoors/uncovered, do they not?

They do. And I follow USMC regs over anything else in that regard. I've never saluted out of uniform or uncovered and I have no plans to start now.

I got out in 2007.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »

I have no idea. I was released from active duty more than 40 years ago, and I was Army not Marines. Do Marine regulations supersede federal law? What I cited is a federal law that was enacted by the Congress and signed by the President (who was, last I knew, the Commander-in-Chief).

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 05:53:32 PM »
I have no idea. I was released from active duty more than 40 years ago, and I was Army not Marines. Do Marine regulations supersede federal law? What I cited is a federal law that was enacted by the Congress and signed by the President (who was, last I knew, the Commander-in-Chief).

To me they do.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »

The federal law says "may"

In the military, whenever one reg gives an option, and a subordinate reg, policy letter, etc says something more restrictive, the more restrictive guideline is used.

Surely you've seen this in action?

The army's hair regulations are a good example. Big army says you can't touch the collar, and you can have sideburns that go down so far.

Do anything other than a high fade or high and tight in the infantry, and you'll be corrected immediately.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »
Ive known about it for a while now.  I usually put my hand over my heart and face the flag. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 08:22:33 PM »
The federal law says "may"

The "may" applies to veterans, and active duty personnel not in uniform. The salute for personnel in uniform does not say "may" and does not offer an option:

(A) individuals in uniform should give the
                military salute at the first note of the anthem and
                maintain that position until the last note;

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 11:36:33 PM »
The "may" applies to veterans, and active duty personnel not in uniform. The salute for personnel in uniform does not say "may" and does not offer an option:

Poorly written by someone who has no idea what the various services require. In uniform, obey your service's requirements.