Author Topic: Very successful morning...  (Read 538 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Very successful morning...
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
There are two hydronic toe kick heaters in Mom's kitchen, with a length of cast iron baseboard along the one wall.

Last year the bigger of the two units quit working. It was near the end of the heating season, and I just never found the time to dig into it. It's a real pain in the arse to get to, as well, as it requires lots of cabinet disassembly to get to.

I tackled the small one first. It just needed to be cleaned, as cat hair and dust gets sucked in and forms a mat across the back of the heating coil. Things were definitely not made for homes with pets. That one works nicely now.

The big one took a long time to get to, as I had to unload the cabinet and pull the floor, which still didn't give me access to the screws holding the cover on, or the motor.

Just on a whim I decided to bleed it in case that might be the issue -- I figured it was going to be a fail. Well I got a ton of air out of it before I got water, and when I tripped the thermostat, the unit kicked on. Even blowing well, so it doesn't need to be cleaned yet.

Win.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Very successful morning...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:23:05 PM »
There are two hydronic toe kick heaters in Mom's kitchen, with a length of cast iron baseboard along the one wall.

Last year the bigger of the two units quit working. It was near the end of the heating season, and I just never found the time to dig into it. It's a real pain in the arse to get to, as well, as it requires lots of cabinet disassembly to get to.

I tackled the small one first. It just needed to be cleaned, as cat hair and dust gets sucked in and forms a mat across the back of the heating coil. Things were definitely not made for homes with pets. That one works nicely now.

The big one took a long time to get to, as I had to unload the cabinet and pull the floor, which still didn't give me access to the screws holding the cover on, or the motor.

Just on a whim I decided to bleed it in case that might be the issue -- I figured it was going to be a fail. Well I got a ton of air out of it before I got water, and when I tripped the thermostat, the unit kicked on. Even blowing well, so it doesn't need to be cleaned yet.

Win.

How old are those things?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
The toe kick heaters were installed when the kitchen was remodeled in 2000.

My grandfather installed the cast iron baseboard in the 1950s.

The rest of the radiators were installed around 1910 when the house was converted from gravity hot air to gravity hot water.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »
Excellent.  May I touch the hem of your robe?

Say, what's a "toe kick heater?"  Never heard that before... is it a regional expression or something?

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
Yeah, you wanna come over to our house.  Yesterday the new toilet that I had installed a year ago began leaking into the basement.  Sort of thought maybe the wax ring didn't set properly when installed.  Erm, the flange the toilet is affixed to is broken. It's cracked where the bolt that holds the toilet to the flange and broke off. Then the dishwasher started leaking about an hour later.  Then when I came in from the garage the back door wouldn't open.  The new door knob fixture that I replaced 6 months ago won't fully pull the latch back into the door.  Grrrrr.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
A toe kick is the recessed area under a cabinet.

A toe kick heater goes in the cabinet base and vents in the toe kick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:04:28 PM »
Yeah, you wanna come over to our house.  Yesterday the new toilet that I had installed a year ago began leaking into the basement.  Sort of thought maybe the wax ring didn't set properly when installed.  Erm, the flange the toilet is affixed to is broken. It's cracked where the bolt that holds the toilet to the flange and broke off. Then the dishwasher started leaking about an hour later.  Then when I came in from the garage the back door wouldn't open.  The new door knob fixture that I replaced 6 months ago won't fully pull the latch back into the door.  Grrrrr.

Yeah... You're on your own!