Author Topic: Is your school district any better?  (Read 4158 times)

o-daddy

• friend
Is your school district any better?
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:33:41 AM »
Our suburban school district is asking voters to increase a couple levies. In their application to approve this referendum, they included the following definition:
Anti-Racism: Conscious and deliberate, individual and collective action that challenges the impact and perpetuation of institutional white racial power, position, and privilege.

The district's racial composition is more white than not. What would be a good counter-campaign message to resonate with the voters without hurting the feelings of non-whites?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Is your school district any better?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:34 AM »
screw guilt
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:57:13 AM »
Under this definition, even the most radical racist statemetns by blacks would not be racist, since blacks aren't 'privileged'.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:02:26 AM »
If it wasn't for the white man, y'all would still be in loincloths carrying pointy sticks....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:13:54 AM »
If it wasn't for the white man, y'all would still be in loincloths carrying pointy sticks....  =D

Enough of that or the banschwerk comes out.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:37:52 AM »
Our suburban school district is asking voters to increase a couple levies. In their application to approve this referendum, they included the following definition:
Anti-Racism: Conscious and deliberate, individual and collective action that challenges the impact and perpetuation of institutional white racial power, position, and privilege.

The district's racial composition is more white than not. What would be a good counter-campaign message to resonate with the voters without hurting the feelings of non-whites?

Simple, go with the truth.  Discrimination comes in all shapes and sizes.   You could point out that for instance, it completely ignores gender discrimination, in addition to countless others, and puts blame on just one racial group which is itself a form of racism.  Request that whoever wrote this be sent to sensitivity or equal opportunity training as the author obviously need it probably more than the people he or she is trying to lecture.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »
Simple, go with the truth.  Discrimination comes in all shapes and sizes.   You could point out that for instance, it completely ignores gender discrimination, in addition to countless others, and puts blame on just one racial group which is itself a form of racism.  Request that whoever wrote this be sent to sensitivity or equal opportunity training as the author obviously need it probably more than the people he or she is trying to lecture.

Win.
Throw it back at 'em.
But they won't listen to you.  You're a white dude.  Your opinion doesn't count anymore. ;/
7-11 was a part time job.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
Ask a kid from Nigeria how the American Blacks are treating him.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 12:26:01 PM »
I was a sub teacher for a few months at my local HS.  Several 'African-American' students were quick and shameless in playing the race card.  VERY proud of their 'roots' but unable to name 3 countries on their 'home' continent.  It has been less than a decade since I've been in HS as a student, but the institution is near unrecognizable. The only bastion of sanity I found was at the alternative HS, where students were taught in a collaborative effort, not brainwashed and browbeaten.  Teacher lounges were festivals of leftist propaganda and one of the libraries even had on prominent display old propaganda from the Soviet Union... not 'hey look at this absurdity with a critical eye' but rather 'gaze upon the utopia of collectivism.'
 [barf]

Shop is gone, home ec is gone, civics is gone... usefulness and good citizenry is all be disappeared from the lessons. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »
Calm down, Jamis...I'm referring to the European Age of Exploration which brought Western civilization to the Americas...no racial reference...strictly cultural...BTW, the Europeans weren't too far out of the pointy-stick stage, either...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
thankfully my school district is much better
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »
Agree with rev. Diversity=a full palette of individuals choosing to make their own lives and meanings.  Or somesuch rainbowy words for it.

One of the things I like about my current neighborhood is its diversity.  Sure, there are some black folks, but what I notice and care about is that there is a mix of students/young adults, families, and retirees.  It's good for the kids--teaches them to stand up to bullies, be nice to smaller kids, play with friends their own age, be respectful to old people, and not be afraid of the loud music. 

As we look at jobs, my family considers each city we may land in, and we look for the most diverse neighborhoods.  They tend to have the most pleasant atmosphere at the lowest cost in addition to the above benefits.  The city I grew up in (Oak Park, MI) was, and is, racially diverse, but it's the cultural and age diversity that is much more valuable. 

When I hear white people in white neighborhood maunder on about diversity, I mostly feel kinda' sorry for them.  They must feel so guilty about not experiencing it, and they don't even realize how great it is, not to mention cheap.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
hmph.  Tried to edit, quoted instead. NM.  That'll larn me to do three things at once.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:54:56 PM by BridgeWalker »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 01:54:46 PM »
Calm down, Jamis...I'm referring to the European Age of Exploration which brought Western civilization to the Americas...no racial reference...strictly cultural...BTW, the Europeans weren't too far out of the pointy-stick stage, either...

Certain things are always best said with tact.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »
...and that I will concede...that, and  I'm glad that, due to Western civilization, I don't have to see you in a loincloth... 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
When I hear white people in white neighborhood maunder on about diversity, I mostly feel kinda' sorry for them.  They must feel so guilty about not experiencing it, and they don't even realize how great it is, not to mention cheap.

"Where I come from, diversity just means you have to lock your bicycle up."
http://www.fredoneverything.net/Berkeley.shtml

Don't assume they speak from ignorance.

Did the diverse thing already: public schools, US Army, nasty physical labor jobs, neighborhoods where English was the most popular second language.  Had my diversity ticket punched, bended, folded, and mutilated.  I'm about tired of "diversity" as currently bandied about.  I've seen it up close and it is no great shakes.

The older I get and the more experience I get, the more Fred's observation rings true.  Heck, it has been shown that "diversity" makes for a less trusting society and folks more amenable to big gov't solutions.  About the best thing we could do for social comity would be to enforce old-school assimilation of the sort that quashed ~90% of the German-language newspapers between 1917 and 1920.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
...and that I will concede...that, and  I'm glad that, due to Western civilization, I don't have to see you in a loincloth...  

I like the freedom it provides...you're just not loincloth positive enough...

ETA:
I live in a very diverse and very low crime neighborhood.  I grew up in a very diverse environment (Marine brat).  Diversity should just happen, though, it should never be forced.  IMHO, forcing diversity causes an entitlement mentality on one side of the coin, and resentment on the other. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:52:54 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 04:53:57 PM »
stop!  first tall pine in a kilt?  now jamis in a loin cloth?  noooooooo!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »

The older I get and the more experience I get, the more Fred's observation rings true.  Heck, it has been shown that "diversity" makes for a less trusting society and folks more amenable to big gov't solutions.  About the best thing we could do for social comity would be to enforce old-school assimilation of the sort that quashed ~90% of the German-language newspapers between 1917 and 1920.
So you want to have a world war and outlaw other languages?   =) 

My Grandfather didn't learn German as a kid.  He might have if not for those laws.  My Mother said her Grandparents still spoke German around the house when she was a kid and they were something like 4th or 5th generation US citizens.  I have no problem with other languages.  I just want people to learn to use English also. 

As for the OP, whoever came up with that definition has a serious case of tunnel vision. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »
Don't assume they speak from ignorance.

I didn't mean the ones who are fed up with "diversity" where diversity is a code-word for racially integrated, I meant the ones who proclaim the awesomeness of "diversity" again as a code-word, but who still choose to live in homogenous areas--racially, generationally, or otherwise. 

I am fully in sympathy with people who choose to live in an area that has attributes they value.  Not so much the people who do the same and then loudly proclaim how much they value "diversity,"  apparently as enjoyed by other people. 

Of course, those are the people who think that "diversity" is valuable because it fits their political positions, but haven't noticed any of the real life benefits of living a diverse (by many measures, not merely the racial code-word) area.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 12:22:34 AM »
Here in AZ, we have a voter referrendum that will Constitutionally ban (via our State Constitution) affirmative action in hiring/admissions.  On the ballot in November.

Should be good fun.

The nooz is deathly silent on it so far.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 12:35:59 AM »
So you want to have a world war and outlaw other languages?   =) 

My Grandfather didn't learn German as a kid.  He might have if not for those laws.  My Mother said her Grandparents still spoke German around the house when she was a kid and they were something like 4th or 5th generation US citizens.  I have no problem with other languages.  I just want people to learn to use English also. 

As for the OP, whoever came up with that definition has a serious case of tunnel vision. 

Sorry, I assumed the context would be known as WWI USA.  My grandparents were born just before WWI and experienced it.  There was some gov't intervention but the greatest force by far was social pressure.

They managed to learn German despite both the limited gov't involvement and the social suasion.

Anyways, you gotta cut the apron strings some time.

--------------

BW:

My bad.  I must admit I just have little understanding of the diversity-boosters who haven't experienced it.  I think personal experience is very important, especially if one is going make noise about boosting or busting facets of culture.  I guess it is just a signal they are giving off to their peers that they are on-board with the agenda, despite taking some of it on faith.

NB:  I think the time I finally said "Screw it" to accommodating other culture in a Vietnamese soup restaurant.  "Pho" (sounds like "fah," FTR).

Anyways, I'm there eating my pho with an acquaintance from work.  I'm eating my pho the way I like to eat my pho.  "How," is unimportant, except for it not being the usual/traditional way it is eaten by Vietnamese folk.  

The pinhead from work tells me I'm eating my pho wrong. Wrong?  This is how I like it, I tell him.  He tries to get me to gawk at all the oriental folks in the restaurant and then points at a couple and tells me to watch them to see how to do it right.  I respond that they aren't Vietnamese, but likely Korean.  Why should I eat a Vietnamese dish like a couple Koreans?  How can I tell they're Korean?  Well, not all orientals look the same....  

Pinhead is getting agitated.  Don't I want to eat it right?  What will they think if they see you eating it that way?  I tell him that no matter how masterfully I consume pho, I will never be mistaken for Vietnamese.  I don;t care what they think, I'm not trying to marry their daughter.  Besides, nobody is complaining, to include waitress and the guy form the back who brought me my pho.  They have happily taken my money in the past.

And, FTR, I know how to eat pho "the right way," or at least in the manner many Vietnamese folk consume it.  Look, I am an American, in America, paying in US Dollars for a product made in America.  I'll eat it any damn way I please, thanks.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 12:49:37 AM »
>stop!  first tall pine in a kilt?  now jamis in a loin cloth?  noooooooo!<

Next up: Irwin in a tutu...  >:D
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 01:13:43 AM »
Next up: my brain in bleach.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »
Knock it off, or I post a mankini photo!

And not hte easy on the eyes Bortat one, either!

Link
http://www.mentalbleach.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/careys_mankini.jpg

Only my forbearance keeps me from the img tags that would make the above image pop out of yout browser.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton