Author Topic: Obama Strongly Backs Islam Center Near 9/11 Site  (Read 102180 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Obama Strongly Backs Islam Center Near 9/11 Site
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
One side violated unconstitutional  eavesdropping law, and the other committed assault and (possibly, perhaps attempted?) vandalism. So which side is "right"?

what do you imagine is unconstitutional?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »
It is not just a "Muslim thing;" it is about invidious cultural practices within what is a tribal, collectivist, and authoritarian matrix.  Islam happens to be a particulary obvious and dramatic example, that's all, as well as one growing in political and economic sway.

"Fairly rare incidents" of cultural malfeasance?  Now that is absurd.  There is nothing "fairly rare" about the pervasive acts of brutality, terrorism, and prejudice we see in more than one alien culture.

Because we have a Constitution we are not required to be stupid and blind.  This is not about religious freedom, it is about what constitutes viable religious practice and what kind of impact a "religion" can have on the body politic.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 11:29:59 AM »
There are emerging reports of an Orthodox Christian church, originally built a century ago, that was destroyed on 9/11.  The city has blocked them from rebuilding their church.

I don't have any cites, but if this is true it blows a gaping whole into the notion that we're singling out Muslims, discriminating based on their religion, or violating anyone's religious freedom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »
There are emerging reports of an Orthodox Christian church, originally built a century ago, that was destroyed on 9/11.  The city has blocked them from rebuilding their church.

I don't have any cites, but if this is true it blows a gaping whole into the notion that we're singling out Muslims, discriminating based on their religion, or violating anyone's religious freedom.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/03/nyregion/03trade.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/B/Bagli,%20Charles%20V

Hmmmm
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
  There is nothing "fairly rare" about the pervasive acts of brutality, terrorism, and prejudice we see in more than one alien culture.

ironic post of the day

Because we have a Constitution we are not required to be stupid and blind.  This is not about religious freedom, it is about what constitutes viable religious practice and what kind of impact a "religion" can have on the body politic.

with this for icing?   priceless

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/03/nyregion/03trade.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/B/Bagli,%20Charles%20V

Hmmmm

The church wants the authority to provide roughly $55 million toward the estimated $75 million cost of rebuilding St. Nicholas. The Port Authority in turn wants the church to scale back its plans, move the location slightly and raise more money privately.

“The church’s role in the rebuilding effort is complementary, not adversarial,” Mr. Koutsomitis said. “We need a resolution on the land so we can move on with the design. We’re talking about a modest facility, larger than what was there before, but modest by any standard.”

yea  7 times the size of the old church is modest

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/nyregion/19church.html

Look at that, they want to build a "a nondenominational center for visitors to ground zero" as well.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/nyregion/19church.html

Look at that, they want to build a "a nondenominational center for visitors to ground zero" as well.

and they only want 20 mill of our cash to do it

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2010, 11:46:13 AM »

and they only want 20 mill of our cash to do it

It's a lot of money, yes. Someone wants to build a "bomb-screening center for trucks, buses and cars entering the area" under the church, though.

Harrison Bergeron

• Everyone is finally equal.
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »
I'll be for this as soon as I can open a Wal-Mart next door to Kabba.

• friends
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
It's a lot of money, yes. Someone wants to build a "bomb-screening center for trucks, buses and cars entering the area" under the church, though.

that money is not for that  and in the latest location the screening center is no longer an issue  the bill for that iteration was 35 mill

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
I'd love, Cassandra, for you to explain your view of irony to all of us.  I'd also like you to define for us what constitutes a "religion" as opposed to a form of pathology.  As for the anything but "fairly rare" incidents you seem to take exception to I point you toward the rampant criminal abuses occurring in illegal immigrant culture in America.  No one with facts would describe what's going on crime-wise as "fairly rare."

I realize you are an unctuous fellow, by the way, but that can be rather oily, you know.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:20:14 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »
that money is not for that  and in the latest location the screening center is no longer an issue  the bill for that iteration was 35 mill
The money is to entice the church into giving up their land at ground zero moving farther away.  The city doesn't want a private church right there.

This is all fairly routine for developments in heavy urban areas, and has nothing to do with religious discrimination.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:37:55 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »
One side violated unconstitutional  eavesdropping law, and the other committed assault and (possibly, perhaps attempted?) vandalism. So which side is "right"?

what do you imagine is unconstitutional?

Do we really need to rehash for the Nth time the right of the citizen to film, photograph or in any way record what is observable from a public thoroughfare and the corresponding SCOTUS decisions? Less intentionally obtuse comments would be beneficial to the discussion.

• friends
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »
Do we really need to rehash for the Nth time the right of the citizen to film, photograph or in any way record what is observable from a public thoroughfare and the corresponding SCOTUS decisions? Less intentionally obtuse comments would be beneficial to the discussion.

absent a ruling striking down michigan law?  and bear in mind this was an event where it was made clear repeatedly that their taping was unwelcome.  .  wasn't this festival run by a private group?  don't they have a right to exclude who they want and similarly set rules for conduct at their event?!LIBERTY!  Or is jackbooted thuggery permissible so long as you attach "in jesus's name"? i was raised catholic and consider myself a christian  the biggest downside to that is other "christians"  god save me from them.  the druids muslims et al i get along with just fine   .why do i only run into christians with a stick up em?

• friends
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
The money is to entice the church into giving up their land at ground zero moving farther away.  The city doesn't want a private church right there.

This is all fairly routine for developments in heavy urban areas, and has nothing to do with religious discrimination.

except this latest cash bailout involves them on their original plot of land

• friends
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »
I'd love, Cassandra, for you to explain your view of irony to all of us.  I'd also like you to define for us what constitutes a "religion" as opposed to a form of pathology.  As for the anything but "fairly rare" incidents you seem to take exception to I point you toward the rampant criminal abuses occurring in illegal immigrant culture in America.

too easy
  a  did you really speak out against predjudice?  i almost choked had to read it twice
  b neither you or i get to define a religion,  at least not for anyone else  , well maybe i can for my kids till they tell me to get stuffed. if at some time a religion breaks the law we have a mechanism for that.
  c  and did you see your very own sheriff deevers statement on crime in his county? vis a vis the illegal involvement?  since my sites are tainted look it up yourself  may of this year  i think it was the 6th  maybe the 10th  its out there with video and everything.  hint  its not on wnd

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
I'm not defining a religion, friend, I'm looking at actions taken in the name of religion and identifying praxis rather than theory.  "Religions" that become plenary social and political systems are no longer a set of spiritual practices but something else and must be considered in a wider context.

Speak out against prejudice?  No, I'm identifying it.  Tolerance for the intolerant is not anti-prejudice, it's rank stupidity, subversive of one's own best principles (on which we probably agree).

Sheriff Deevers doesn't say the last word on that problem.  The statistics are out there.  Try the LAPD.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

• friends
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
i showed ya mine  what lapd stats?  real stats  not some email from cair

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »

My thought; also 'close to ground zero' is relatively imprecise in a big city - there's limited properties available for construction, costs are high, etc...

Sadly, due to buildings damaged during the event, a fairly large portion of 'available properties' are indeed 'close' to ground zero.

• friends
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2010, 01:52:10 PM »
i haven't been able to go there  i'm still messed up by going near the pentagon  was there a couple days after and i am disturbed still

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
Quick question:  how do ya'll feel about the mosque inside the pentagon, which opened there in october, 2001?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

• friends
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2010, 02:20:49 PM »
Quick question:  how do ya'll feel about the mosque inside the pentagon, which opened there in october, 2001?

oh   now you did it [popcorn] >:D

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »
"This Islamic prayer center, the first of its kind in the Marine Corps, is really an extension of our ethos, (the) ethos that we take care of one another." - Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee at Quantico.

So when is a mosque not a prayer center and vice-versa?

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2010, 02:35:07 PM »

Put in by the Marines and under the control of the US Military? Not a problem.

Funded by terrorist backers and dedicated to celebrating Islam's victory over the Great Satan? Quite the problem.