Author Topic: AMSEC safe - electronic lock won't open  (Read 47209 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
AMSEC safe - electronic lock won't open
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »
Friend of mine (yes, I have friends  :laugh: ) has an AMSEC gun safe and the electronic keypad lock will not open the safe.  Series and model of the safe are unknown.  He says he can hear the mechanism working, or at least trying to work, but it never releases the door.  I asked if he could manually manipulate the lock and he said it didn't have that provision.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: AMSEC safe - electronic lock won't open
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »
Do you mean other than Detcord?  =D

Maybe ask CB900F on THR about it.  He's a locksmith and gives out advice on gun safes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »
After poking around a bit it looks like the first thing he'll have to do is identify which locking system he has.  AMSEC uses a half-dozen different mfgs and no two are alike.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
After poking around a bit it looks like the first thing he'll have to do is identify which locking system he has.  AMSEC uses a half-dozen different mfgs and no two are alike.

Brad

Call a locksmith that specializes in safes.   

Uh, he did try changing the battery first, right?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:04:51 PM »
Fresh batteries.  Twice.  Found out the mechanism is an AMSEC ESL10.

Brad
-HankB

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
Every time I have to go through the process of opening my old-fashioned dial safe I think how nice it would be to just key in the numbers on an electronic lock.

Then I read a story like this and I'm glad I bought a dial safe.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 03:06:08 PM »
I would suggest the first thing he does is reread the instruction manual to make sure he isn't doing anything wrong when entering the combo. 

Owners manual here.http://www.amsecusa.com/service/PDF/ESL10.pdf

Next, if he is doing everything correctly, I would suggest contacting Amsec customer service.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
Interesting that this thread came up.  I'm going to start hunting for a deal on a safe this month.  Going to start by making the rounds at the local shops and see if anyone has one on sale.  Need a real deal safe finally.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »
Beginning to suspect something is jambed in the door (thick letter, gun rug, etc) which is holding it against the locking lugs.  That could easily keep the lugs from being fully engaged.  That would result in the unlock mechanism not working.  I found multiple instances of that on the web.  He's going to try the remedy tonight (pushing hard on the door and moving the handle to see if he can fully engage the locking lugs and free up the mechanism).

Brad
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »
Beginning to suspect something is jambed in the door (thick letter, gun rug, etc) which is holding it against the locking lugs.  That could easily keep the lugs from being fully engaged.  That would result in the unlock mechanism not working.  I found multiple instances of that on the web.  He's going to try the remedy tonight (pushing hard on the door and moving the handle to see if he can fully engage the locking lugs and free up the mechanism).

Brad

Also, if that doesn't work, bang on the safe door near the lugs, one at a time, with a hefty rubber mallet while trying to move the handle.  Don't put insane torsion on the handle. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
Yes, any pressure on the door will jam up the locking mechanism.  That happened once with my safe.  I just had to push in on the door and then turn the handle.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
Try making sure the handle is all the way to the right (closed) against the stop. Then enter the combo and open. Try this and pushing in on the door at the same time also.

Contact a locksmith or the Amsec folks for help if this fails.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 12:09:02 AM »

Brad
if pushing doesn't work try grabbing a CLEAN plunger and try it while pulling. might be stuck that way. =| this is a big part of why i don't own a lockbox, much less a safe. =(

stenstro

Amsec ES913 safe will not open.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 02:16:58 AM »
I have an Amsec ES913 safe. It has a 12 digit key pad (0-9 and A and B). It uses batteries inside the safe. I 've used it
pretty much without problems for 12 years. When the batteries have gotten weak I open it with the key and replace them.

Recently I punch in the combination and it would not open. I tried the key, both keys, and they will not open the safe
either. When I punch in the code I get a beep and a amber light blink after each number. Then press A to open it and both
red and green LEDs come on. If I punch in an incorrect code, only the red light comes on.

I don't think the door is jammed. I can pull on it and it moves back and forth with a little clicking. I've read the manual. I don't
see any setting to make it ignore the key.

Is there anyone out there with suggestions other than calling a locksmith? If worst comes to worse I'll have to cut it out of my desk drawer
and take it home for dissection.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mks

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
Every time I have to go through the process of opening my old-fashioned dial safe I think how nice it would be to just key in the numbers on an electronic lock.

What he said.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »
When I got my Fort Knox a few years ago I had the option of getting an electronic lock on it, installed by the dealer.

I passed because of possible issues like this. I'm leery of them even with a key bypass. Without a key bypass? No way no how.

I've had an Amsec with a dial combination lock since the mid 1980s, and it's been perfect.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »
I don't think the door is jammed. I can pull on it and it moves back and forth with a little clicking. I've read the manual. I don't see any setting to make it ignore the key.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mks

The key should be a direct mechanical connection that overrides the electronics. When you say you've tried the keys do you mean they turn and the door stiil won't open, or neither key will turn at all?

Brad
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »

S&G mechanical FTW.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »
Other then checking to see if that CB900F guy is still on THR and/or GRM and picking his brain (I saw what I did there), the only other options seem to be call Amsec's customer service and failing that a locksmith.

It's threads like these that re-enforce my belief in getting dial safes... (No key to lose/be accidentally found by unauthorized person(s) and no battery that dies at inopportune times.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »
The man you want is RFB45Colt on Arfcom. Might also be on THR too.
I promise not to duck.

stenstro

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 11:08:52 PM »
Hello All. I left the recent post about my ES813 safe that will not open. To answer one question, the
key doesn't turn, neither key will turn. It goes in easily but will not turn. I've tried wiggling and jiggling.

I called the manufacturer who asked a few questions, like could I move the door back and forth a little and I
can. There is nothing inside putting pressure on the door. They told me it was likely that the solenoid
was stuck half way, blocking the key and not opening using the combination. They told me there were
not setting to prevent the key from being used.

I brought the safe home and tried the key and combination with the safe turned in different positions,
door down, door up, door on the side etc. No help. I also used  a rubber mallet and wacked the sides
to see if I could jar the solenoid loose  - no good.

The manufacturer told me if those things don't work, that I should take it to a lock smith to have it drilled out.
I asked if this would destroy the safe - yes was the answer. So if a locksmith can destroy the safe,
so can it.

I guess there are lessons learned here. One is to buy no safe that uses batteries unless they can be replace
with the door locked. The next safe I buy I'll make some notes about how it looks on the inside, to make
it easier to cut open in the future!

thanks for your replies

mks

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 01:07:43 AM »
Strange suggestion but worth a try...  tilt the safe on its sides, trying the keys in each tilted position. It's possible the odd movement will shift the mechanism enough to let you use the key.

Also, you say the key's won't turn at all. Even if the solenoid is jammed there ahould be some minute amount of movement from the key tumble. Are you ABSOLUTELY certain you have the correct keys?

Brad
-HankB

stenstro

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 04:16:11 AM »
Thanks for your replies!  I have an interesting and happy ending to this saga.  I brought the safe home to my little
work shop. I  ground off the screw heads that were holding it to the desk drawer so that I could  move the safe
easily.  I figured if a locksmith has to  open the safe and destroy it in the process (that's what the manufacturer
told me!) then I could do that myself and save the money.

As I inspected the safe closely, I could see the hinge pins on the door side opposite of the lock. I figured they were
hardened but  I was curious. There was just enough space to slip  a hacksaw blade between the frame and door. I applied
pressure to the blade, pressing it against the hinge pin and it bit, meaning that it wasn't hardened. So I got out my saber
saw and 5 min later I had cut both hinge pins and I was able to open the door.

The hinge pins were 5/16 low carbon steel, just like an ordinary bolt. So I put new batteries in the electronic lock and
entered my combination and the solenoid worked, so I was entering the right combination - not crazy! Then I looked
at the key lock. It was a $5 cam lock and it was stuck. I guess some of the little pins in the tumbler were bent. I was
using the correct key. So I replaced the lock with a new $5 cam lock and installed two terminals connected to the ends of
the batteries (4 AA), so I could always hook up a new battery from outside the safe. Next I made new hinge pins
from 5/16 bolts and put everything back together.

So breaking into this safe took about 5 minutes, after I figured out what to do.  Not a very safe safe. It's ok for me
because I don't keep money, guns or jewelry in the safe, just the CDs of the software I have purchased. This forces me
to be careful and not misplace the discs.

If you have one of these safes, I suggest you add terminals to allow a spare battery to be connected from the outside.
The body and door of the safe are easy to drill. You can also remove the hinge pins and replace them with hardened
pins if security is important.

So, a new profession: professor, engineer, armature photographer, father and now safe cracker.

happy holidays and good luck.

mks
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:30:05 AM by stenstro »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 08:10:39 AM »

I haven't cracked many safes, but from what I know of locks, few are as secure as folks think. Price isn't always correlated to quality either.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
Locks only keep the honest folks out.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!